11194484_10204354833420115_7767371692600678114_o.jpg

11084244_10204357941897825_75759997739242280_n.jpg

11138641_10204354833460116_6805696626335284531_n.jpg

11139004_10204354834140133_6632816327030069820_n.jpg

603725_10204354834300137_8555268912190265821_n.jpg

11218055_10204354834980154_8272910898143335870_n.jpg

11174972_10204354835700172_3438928173392298438_n.jpg

11181202_10204354835860176_6801517975735591702_n.jpg

Does anybody know what the designation of the 85 mm gun is? It looks a little bit different than the D-44 (the metal shield of the gun has a different shape). Could this be the D-48?
Edit, I just saw the new video of the parade, It is indeed the D-44, an upgraded design I guess.
86 mm gun.jpg

What ship is this? Edit: Minesweeper
000-ship.jpg

Last edited:
Here are the new full length videos of the parade with Viet subtitles from comcom:

Does anybody know what the designation of the 85 mm gun is? It looks a little bit different than the D-44 (the metal shield of the gun has a different shape). Could this be the D-48?
Edit, I just saw the new video of the parade, It is indeed the D-44, an upgraded design I guess.
View attachment 218240
Yes, we place them on Spratly along with some Extra, BMP-2, PT-76 ... to defend the Islands.

Yes, we place them on Spratly along with some Extra, BMP-2, PT-76 ... to defend the Islands.

Yes, now I understand a bit better how these guns are used for island defense, the 85 mm is a direct line of sight gun, designed as an anti tank gun with a 1.3 km range, so it gets used against the incoming landing craft. I don't think its as effective as anti tank missiles, but everything helps.

I also saw a 76 mm gun in the full video of the parade, does anybody know what the designation of the 76 mm gun is?

Last edited:
View attachment 218240

What ship is this? Edit: Minesweeper
View attachment 218241

you can always check the muzzel break for more detail :) in this case its the D-48 due to the beehive muzzel break while the D-44 have a gill muzzel break
And yeah that a minesweeper , a Soviet Sonya-class ship
Yes, now I understand a bit better how these guns are used for island defense, the 85 mm is a direct line of sight gun, designed as an anti tank gun with a 1.3 km range, so it gets used against the incoming landing craft. I don't think its as effective as anti tank missiles, but everything helps.

I also saw a 76 mm gun in the full video of the parade, does anybody know what the designation of the 76 mm gun is?

Zis-3 :) Facking relic from WW2 but still pack quite a punch in direct fire

you can always check the muzzel break for more detail :) in this case its the D-48 due to the beehive muzzel break while the D-44 have a gill muzzel break
And yeah that a minesweeper , a Soviet Sonya-class ship

Wait a moment, the full length video of the parade from comcom has that gun labeled as D-44, is that a mistake?

Yes, that gun can do 25 shots a minute, not bad at all. Old or not, doesn't matter, if still works well and its effective, then can use them.

Are those guns only bought from Russia or is it manufactured in VN now (the Zis-3, D-44 and D-48)?

uh........look like some problem pop up , gotta go now :v
And no , i quite sure that we may producing ammunition for them and performing maintance but we havent manfacture any type of heavy arty system , last time i check we only produce barrel for the AGS 17 and the 61-K anti aircraft :)

@Carlosa and bros, here is a Chinese report on our defence in the south china sea. interesting insight.

South China Sea rivals compared by Global Times|WantChinaTimes.com

Vietnam: Military build-up on nine islands

From the early 1970s to the early 1990s, Vietnam occupied 29 islands and reefs in the Spratlys and strengthened their defensive infrastructure in the region.

Vietnam has used two defensive strategies. The first is to set up defensive positions comprising habitable and permanent defensive structures which can also serve in battle, forming a strategic defensive infrastructure. The second is establishing military outposts and guard houses on stilts, to widen the area of defense. The former are concentrated on nine islands and reefs including Spratly Island and Southwest Cay. The living conditions in these bases are reasonably comfortable, so more soldiers are stationed there.

The islands of Spratly and Namyit are the core defensive strongholds of the Vietnamese army in the South China Sea.

Vietnam has 2,200 soldiers stationed in the Spratlys mainly armed with guns, tanks, anti-tank missiles and dynamic armed helicopters, but they do not have any ground-to-ship missiles, due to the complicated support system and permanent firing structure that they require which none of the islands can facilitate.

A photo set featured in the Hanoi-based Vietnam Pictorial shows nine of the main nine islands and reefs administered by Vietnam have 23mm anti-aircraft guns; six of them have 37mm anti-aircraft guns, five have 85mm cannons and two of them have 122mm howitzers and 130mm cannons; six of the islands have Russian made T-54/55 medium tanks, four have the Russian-made PT-76 amphibious light tank, totaling around 120 guns and 60 medium tanks. On Spratly Island and Namyit Island the Vietnamese army have a 122mm howitzer battalion, an 85mm cannon company, an 130mm cannon company, two to three 23mm or 37mm anti-aircraft gun companies and a tank company. Military helicopters can take off from and land on at least five of the islands and reefs.

From this configuration it is likely that when attacked Vietnam will make use of its large-caliber artillery to engage enemy warships in a long-range gunfight. The 130mm cannon has a range of 27 kilometers, a similar range to the gun on China's destroyers. The range of guns deployed by the Vietnamese troops is in preparation for long-distance, medium range and close-range defense against landing troops. To take Spratly as an example, the island has four guns with a range of over 16km, 21 guns with a range over 14km, 31 guns with a range of over 10km and 48 guns with a range of over 2km. The army can also make use of its helicopters to launch air attacks.

In addition to the nine larger islands, the Vietnamese army also has guard posts stationed at islands and reefs that are more vulnerable to attack, but these usually consist of a makeshift concrete or shacks on stilts with soldiers only armed with individual weapons.

Several special units of the Vietnamese army are said to have trained in amphibious warfare in the Spratlys and the 126th rapid response battalion, set up in 2005, is said to be Vietnam's answer to the US Navy Seals.

Last edited:
uh........look like some problem pop up , gotta go now :v
And no , i quite sure that we may producing ammunition for them and performing maintance but we havent manfacture any type of heavy arty system , last time i check we only produce barrel for the AGS 17 and the 61-K anti aircraft :)

Are you sure about that? Vietnam produces the 105, 122, 130 and 152 mm guns as I understand.

@Carlosa and bros, here is a Chinese report on our defence in the south china sea. interesting insight.

South China Sea rivals compared by Global Times|WantChinaTimes.com

Vietnam: Military build-up on nine islands

From the early 1970s to the early 1990s, Vietnam occupied 29 islands and reefs in the Spratlys and strengthened their defensive infrastructure in the region.

Vietnam has used two defensive strategies. The first is to set up defensive positions comprising habitable and permanent defensive structures which can also serve in battle, forming a strategic defensive infrastructure. The second is establishing military outposts and guard houses on stilts, to widen the area of defense. The former are concentrated on nine islands and reefs including Spratly Island and Southwest Cay. The living conditions in these bases are reasonably comfortable, so more soldiers are stationed there.

The islands of Spratly and Namyit are the core defensive strongholds of the Vietnamese army in the South China Sea.

Vietnam has 2,200 soldiers stationed in the Spratlys mainly armed with guns, tanks, anti-tank missiles and dynamic armed helicopters, but they do not have any ground-to-ship missiles, due to the complicated support system and permanent firing structure that they require which none of the islands can facilitate.

A photo set featured in the Hanoi-based Vietnam Pictorial shows nine of the main nine islands and reefs administered by Vietnam have 23mm anti-aircraft guns; six of them have 37mm anti-aircraft guns, five have 85mm cannons and two of them have 122mm howitzers and 130mm cannons; six of the islands have Russian made T-54/55 medium tanks, four have the Russian-made PT-76 amphibious light tank, totaling around 120 guns and 60 medium tanks. On Spratly Island and Namyit Island the Vietnamese army have a 122mm howitzer battalion, an 85mm cannon company, an 130mm cannon company, two to three 23mm or 37mm anti-aircraft gun companies and a tank company. Military helicopters can take off from and land on at least five of the islands and reefs.

From this configuration it is likely that when attacked Vietnam will make use of its large-caliber artillery to engage enemy warships in a long-range gunfight. The 130mm cannon has a range of 27 kilometers, a similar range to the gun on China's destroyers. The range of guns deployed by the Vietnamese troops is in preparation for long-distance, medium range and close-range defense against landing troops. To take Spratly as an example, the island has four guns with a range of over 16km, 21 guns with a range over 14km, 31 guns with a range of over 10km and 48 guns with a range of over 2km. The army can also make use of its helicopters to launch air attacks.

In addition to the nine larger islands, the Vietnamese army also has guard posts stationed at islands and reefs that are more vulnerable to attack, but these usually consist of a makeshift concrete or shacks on stilts with soldiers only armed with individual weapons.

Several special units of the Vietnamese army are said to have trained in amphibious warfare in the Spratlys and the 126th rapid response battalion, set up in 2005, is said to be Vietnam's answer to the US Navy Seals.

Very good report man. :tup::tup::tup:

The way things are going now, the EXTRA and ACCURA are going to replace / complement the long range guns since those are not accurate enough.

I'm not clear what they mean by dynamic armed helicopters, sounds interesting.

Last edited:
Are you sure about that? Vietnam produces the 105, 122, 130 and 152 mm guns as I understand.

Very good report man.

The way things are going now, the EXTRA and ACCURA are going to replace / complement the long range guns since those are not accurate enough.

I'm not clear what they mean by dynamic armed helicopters, sounds interesting.
I just post the report. not sure if 100% is accurate. our navy should deploy 155mm ceasar howitzer to the islands as soon as possible. 42 km range, 6 rounds a minute, a vehicle carries 18 rounds, all of these can make the difference. such howitzer can target chinese warships at a larger distance than the current 122mm we have.

no enemy warship can survive if we concentrate artillery fire on it.
Caesar_renault_truck_Sherpa_5_wheeled_self-propelled_howitzer_camion_equipe_systeme_artillerie_France_French_army_003.jpg

Last edited:
I just post the report. not sure if 100% is accurate. our navy should deploy 155mm ceasar howitzer to the islands as soon as possible. 42 km range, 6 rounds a minute, a vehicle carries 18 rounds, all of these can make the difference. such howitzer can target chinese warships at a larger distance than the current 122mm we have.

no enemy warship can´t survive if we concentrate artillery fire on it.
Caesar_renault_truck_Sherpa_5_wheeled_self-propelled_howitzer_camion_equipe_systeme_artillerie_France_French_army_003.jpg

Caesar is too complex for the island in my opinion, EXTRA and ACCULAR are more accurate and range up to 150 km (EXTRA).

Back
Top Bottom