What's new

V Sehwag world’s best opener: Matthew Hayden

Gentle Typhoon

Reaction score
Virender Sehwag world’s best opener, says Matthew Hayden

It may be too sweeping a statement to say that India’s batting begins and ends with Virender Sehwag.

However, recent records, particularly the numbers in Sri Lanka, force one to draw such an inference. He has been the highest scorer with 240 runs in four games.Skipper MS Dhoni is a distant second with only 73.

Sehwag, who was also India’s key batsman in the Tests against Sri Lanka, is also the highest scorer in the tournament. “He is the best opener in the world,” declared Matthew Hayden, himself an accomplished opener till he retired in 2009. “Few players leave the impact that Virender can leave in a game,” the Aussie told DNA.

According to Hayden, Sehwag’s biggest strength is his natural ability to play freely. “He leaves an impact on every match, be it a Test, an ODI or a T20 contest. He brings excitement and drama to the game from the very first ball.”

Hayden says he is amazed by Sehwag’s ability to play square off the wicket without moving his feet.

“The best thing about his batting is the shots he plays square off the wicket. His ability to go over the top and over backward-point is amazing. It’s such a great strength that few can match. He looks to attack always.”

Hayden, who was also known to be an attacking batsman, is particularly impressed with Sehwag’s track record in Tests. “With Test cricket, we’re not giving as much attention as we should be.

Tests are all about strategy. Virender destroys all strategies. He brings the excitement and drama from the first ball.

If Test cricket is still alive, it is because of players like him. It’s good for the game.”

Hayden says Sehwag is also the best batsman in the Indian team along with Sachin Tendulkar and Suresh Raina. “Among the Indians, he is one of the best along with Sachin but I think Sehwag makes a big impact.”

Hayden says his Chennai Super Kings teammate is also a quality player who will do well in all forms of the game. “I’m so happy for Raina that he got his first Test hundred. He is such a bundle of talent. I keep mentoring him. We exchange messages and e-mails. He has got the right talent and temperament to play Tests as much as ODIs and T20. I think he will develop into a fine all-round talent.”

Hayden goes to the extent of anointing Raina as India’s future captain. “He’s got tremendous leadership qualities. I won’t be surprised if Raina becomes India’s ODI captain. He is a superb fielder and fits into the team culture. He wants his teammates to succeed. He is a steady and balanced character, irrespective of the highs and lows. I think he can lead India when Dhoni passes the baton.”

Awesome comment on Sehwag by one of world's best opener himself.

:cheers:

Tendulkar & Ganguly
Saeed Anwar & Aamir Sohail

two of the best opening pairs i have seen in my days :)

Zaki, I think they are referring to a single player. Given his records so far, he is probably the best opener in the history of the game.

LOL he really loves Sehwag, This 1 what he said last yr -

Hayden, who rated Indian opener Virender Sehwag on par with himself, said he is a great admirer of the Delhi star.

"Viru is the only one in the contemporary era who matches up with me. It's got to be him. He is as good as I was. I really admire Virender. He is exactly the brand of cricketer I would love to watch," Hayden said.

"I always enjoyed playing against him. Both he and I had realised the importance of being aggressive towards the bowlers. That allows our sides not only good starts but also puts the momentum back in your court, back in your favour. That's been our strengths," he added.

According to Hayden "Ricky Ponting, Brian Lara and Sachin Tendulkar in no particular order are the best batsmen of his era while Curtly Ambrose, Shane Warne and Muttiah Muralitharan were the best bowlers he has seen in action.

considering his current form, overall test average, consistancy with which he scores big runs & the fact that he plays the game with a uncluttered mind as if nothing bothers him no matter what the situation of the game is! you won't find many like him. so i got to go with hayden on this one!!

sehwag is not the best tendulkar is the best without a shadow of doubt

Sehwag is good but too erratic to be considered the best.

Most of the Sehwag's knocks are match winning, while Sachin's are about consistency. It is hard to find anybody playing so consistently for 20 years

My Aussie boss also likes Sehwag, he is Italian origin and likes football more than the cricket but he says that he really enjoys his batting. I also know many Aussie who likes Sehwag, so he is very popular here.

Tendulkar & Ganguly

Geoff Marsh & David Boon
Desmond Haynes & Gorden Greenidge &
Hayden & Gilchrist

among the other best I have seen in my days.

Tendulkar & Ganguly

Saeed and Amir no doubt as a pair, I think they are talking about Sehwag as an individual.

But as a pair, I'd even put Jayasuria and Kaluwitharana up there as well. They started hitting the ball around when it was unimaginable to try and hit big sixes off every over.

V. Sehwag is a fearless cricketer best after sachin. I have stopped watching cricket match if he is out early at times. I like player getting catch out at boundaries but not those who play defensive and get out without scoring much.

Sehwag's the best one around currently. But Gilly, Jayasuriya and Aamir Sohail were top class in their days.

Back
Top Bottom