What's new

user Trial of Agni-I in February

shree835

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Indian Army is preparing to conduct a fresh user trial of Agni-I missile from a defence base off the Odisha coast. The personnel of Strategic Forces Command (SFC) will carry out the test early next month.

Agni-I is the first missile in the country’s most ambitious Agni series. The nuke-capable missile can destroy targets nearly 700 km away.

Sources at the integrated test range (ITR) in Chandipur here said preparation for the test has already begun at Wheeler Island launching complex off the Dhamara coast. Missile equipment, motor and all other accessories have arrived and work is on to keep the launcher ready and integrate the weapon.

“There were considerable improvements in its re-entry technology and manoeuvrability since Agni’s first trial. This test will reconfirm the technical parameters set for the user (Army),” said a defence scientist associated with the programme.

As the missile has already been inducted in the Indian Army, this will be a limited stock production (LSP) test of Agni-I, which will be randomly selected from a bunch of missiles and used for trial. The Agni-I is an antiquated short-range and surface based ballistic missile in the Agni series.

Compared to its longer-range cousins, its height is just 15 metres and it is powered by both solid and liquid propellants, which impart it a speed of 2.5 km per second.

This missile was first test-fired on January 25, 2002 and since then several trials have been conducted.

It is designed to bridge the gap between indigenously built short-range Prithvi, already deployed in the Army, and medium range Agni-II that has a range of more than 2,000 km, sources said.

According to defence sources, Agni-I can be blasted off from both road and rail mobile launchers.

The missile weighs around 12 tonnes and can carry both conventional and nuclear payload of about 1000 kg. Weighing less but having the same thrust, the missile has added acceleration.

The DRDO had launched the Agni project in 1983 as part of the country’s Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme and the first test flight of the Agni series was conducted on May 22, 1989 when the 2000-km range Agni-II was used for the test.

User Trial of Agni-I in February -The New Indian Express

I really don believe the media reports or press releases abt so many missile testings by SFC or random quality checks etc...

Don be surprised if suddenly 1 or 2 years down the lane u see a "new missile" and reports of it being tested 10 times already so all systems green comment for induction !!!

something is fishy.....they are testing new systems in the name of agni series

It seems some of the Indians too have started to believe in conspiracy theories. User trials are normal and I think missile should be better tested than just scraped when they are close to exhaust their shelf life.

Anyway cruise missiles are of much demand today , these ballistic tests won't help much.

$hitty journalism .

Compared to its longer-range cousins, its height is just 15 metres and it is powered by both solid and liquid propellants, which impart it a speed of 2.5 km per second.

Agni 1 is a single stage solid fuelled missile .

The missile weighs around 12 tonnes and can carry both conventional and nuclear payload of about 1000 kg. Weighing less but having the same thrust, the missile has added acceleration.

A1 always weighed 12 tons . So what does the bold part mean ??

It seems some of the Indians too have started to believe in conspiracy theories. User trials are normal and I think missile should be better tested than just scraped when they are close to exhaust their shelf life.

Anyway cruise missiles are of much demand today , these ballistic tests won't help much.
Hmm... how come we don't hear of such from other countries then?

$hitty journalism .

Agni 1 is a single stage solid fuelled missile .

DRDO has worked on fuel system and weight of the missile....

It probably intends to convey that since Agni-I uses the first stage of Agni-II as its rocket motor, its thrust-to-weight ratio is increased (as compared to Agni-II), and the rocket motor imparts higher velocity to the ReV of Agni-I than it imparts to the second stage of Agni-II.

Back
Top Bottom