What's new

Use army to fight drugs: Ershad

Gyp 111

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Jatiya Party Chairman HM Ershad has advised the government to use the military to fight its war against drugs.

He issued the advice in the light of the recent gruesome murder of SB Inspector Mahfuzur Rahman and his wife Swapna Begum allegedly in the hands of their daughter, teenaged Oishee Rahman, who police claim is a drug addict.

The former army chief said, “The army should immediately be given the responsibility to purge Bangladesh of drugs – this is what my nine years’ experience as head of the state dictates. No-one can free Bangladesh of drugs if not the army.”

The former dictator deposed through a mass uprising in 1990 also suggested that the army be bestowed with judicial powers for this purpose.

Ershad provided examples of countries like Thailand where the armed forces were used to combat drug cartels.

The Jatiya Party chief expressed alarm at drugs being readily available in the country.

“The drug abuse present in various levels of society is taking the youths towards sure destruction. The people of the country must be rescued from its curse at all cost.”

The former President believes drugs are more ‘dangerous’ than Bangladesh’s crisis in politics.

Ershad in a meeting held two days earlier had also expressed his disappointment at the drug abuse and the social disintegration it led to.

“Death is everywhere I see. The recent case of Oishee has made me very sad. The country I left is all ruined!”

Use army to fight drugs: Ershad - bdnews24.com

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom