What's new

US, UK military to stage NATO exercises in Ukraine

Sam Manekshaw

Reaction score
Country
India
Ukraine will play host, but the US military will call the shots, in an upcoming military exercise called Rapid Trident that will bring together some 1,300 international forces in Ukraine for a long-planned exercise.
Although the United States canceled Atlas Vision 2014, which was scheduled to take place in July in the northeastern Russian city of Chelyabinsk, the Pentagon says it will go ahead with plans for a multinational military exercise this summer in Ukraine.

Rapid Trident 2014 is designed to "promote regional stability and security, strengthen partnership capacity and foster trust while improving interoperability between the land forces of Ukraine, and NATO and partner nations," according to the US forces in Europe website.

The Pentagon refused to provide information on the number of US forces expected to participate in the maneuvers.

US Army spokesman Col. Steven Warren said Rapid Trident is the only Ukraine military exercise the United States plans to participate in this year. The exercise is intended to help the Ukrainian military improve its troops and weapons operability with NATO forces.

Last year's Rapid Trident, which focused on "airborne and air-mobile infantry operations," according to a report on the Rapid Trident website, brought together 17 NATO countries for joint exercises.

According to Rapid Trident’s Facebook page, last year’s exercises involved “more than 800 pieces of weaponry and about 170 military and combat vehicles... In addition, 4 Mi -8 helicopters, a military transport aircraft An- 26 of the Armed Forces of Ukraine and a German transport aircraft C- 160 were involved to work out airborne operations and elements of evacuation of the wounded from the field of battle.”

However, given the level of hysteria that has been generated by the Ukrainian crisis, Rapid Trident 2014 will take place under entirely different circumstances than last year’s event.

The Pentagon has already dispatched 12 warplanes and hundreds of troops to Poland following the Crimean referendum on Sunday that witnessed an overwhelming majority of residents voting in favor of joining Russia.

Last week, the US military announced that the aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush and its group would remain in the Mediterranean Sea for a few more days than planned “to reassure US allies” over the Ukraine crisis.

On Tuesday, Russian President Vladimir Putin, together with the Prime Minister of Crimea and the mayor of Sevastopol, signed an agreement in Moscow for Crimea and Sevastopol to join the Russian Federation.

In addition to US and UK troops, Rapid Trident 2014 will include units from Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Canada, Georgia, Germany, Moldova, Poland, Romania and Ukraine.

Rapid Trident military exercises have been held annually on the territory of Ukraine for a number of years.

Ukraine has a partner relationship with NATO but is not officially a member.

This puts things in a new perspective.
I'm sure after this,Georgia and Ukraine will become NATO members and Russia will have real enemies as neighbours(Ukraine,Georgia).

Ukraine will play host, but the US military will call the shots, in an upcoming military exercise called Rapid Trident that will bring together some 1,300 international forces in Ukraine for a long-planned exercise.
Although the United States canceled Atlas Vision 2014, which was scheduled to take place in July in the northeastern Russian city of Chelyabinsk, the Pentagon says it will go ahead with plans for a multinational military exercise this summer in Ukraine.

Rapid Trident 2014 is designed to "promote regional stability and security, strengthen partnership capacity and foster trust while improving interoperability between the land forces of Ukraine, and NATO and partner nations," according to the US forces in Europe website.

The Pentagon refused to provide information on the number of US forces expected to participate in the maneuvers.

US Army spokesman Col. Steven Warren said Rapid Trident is the only Ukraine military exercise the United States plans to participate in this year. The exercise is intended to help the Ukrainian military improve its troops and weapons operability with NATO forces.

Last year's Rapid Trident, which focused on "airborne and air-mobile infantry operations," according to a report on the Rapid Trident website, brought together 17 NATO countries for joint exercises.

According to Rapid Trident’s Facebook page, last year’s exercises involved “more than 800 pieces of weaponry and about 170 military and combat vehicles... In addition, 4 Mi -8 helicopters, a military transport aircraft An- 26 of the Armed Forces of Ukraine and a German transport aircraft C- 160 were involved to work out airborne operations and elements of evacuation of the wounded from the field of battle.”

However, given the level of hysteria that has been generated by the Ukrainian crisis, Rapid Trident 2014 will take place under entirely different circumstances than last year’s event.

The Pentagon has already dispatched 12 warplanes and hundreds of troops to Poland following the Crimean referendum on Sunday that witnessed an overwhelming majority of residents voting in favor of joining Russia.

Last week, the US military announced that the aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush and its group would remain in the Mediterranean Sea for a few more days than planned “to reassure US allies” over the Ukraine crisis.

On Tuesday, Russian President Vladimir Putin, together with the Prime Minister of Crimea and the mayor of Sevastopol, signed an agreement in Moscow for Crimea and Sevastopol to join the Russian Federation.

In addition to US and UK troops, Rapid Trident 2014 will include units from Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Canada, Georgia, Germany, Moldova, Poland, Romania and Ukraine.

Rapid Trident military exercises have been held annually on the territory of Ukraine for a number of years.

Ukraine has a partner relationship with NATO but is not officially a member.
Thanks for the news. This adds a new dynamic to the geopolitical situation of Europe.

This puts things in a new perspective.
I'm sure after this,Georgia and Ukraine will become NATO members and Russia will have real enemies as neighbours(Ukraine,Georgia).

I think you are just fan of sensational news at the degree of common man having no vision of international relations...... so there was NATO favoured erections of Georgia in 2008 and now they want good relations with Russian Federation with loosing 40% of territory and loosing half of its army in form of dead.

A lesson is given to NATO in form of Crimea so if further they want then best of luck to Ukraine which will loose half of its territory again or more than it.

Good news.

I hope @vostok will post pictures with NATO troops holding exercises in his country,i'm sure he'll enjoy it.:enjoy:

What do i believe is USA and NATO is doing grave mistake here....they r pushing Russia more closer to China(nightmare for USA).....This may add new reason for the next part called "cold war:Return"...This time they have try to expand NATO again inspite there non-expansion commitment to Russia...The West just missed the chance to involve the Russia in new world order....And i agree with what ex-Australian prime minister Mr.Malcolm Fraser said that " USA thinks rules are for inferior nations,it's in their DNA"

I think you are just fan of sensational news at the degree of common man having no vision of international relations...... so there was NATO favoured erections of Georgia in 2008 and now they want good relations with Russian Federation with loosing 40% of territory and loosing half of its army in form of dead.

A lesson is given to NATO in form of Crimea so if further they want then best of luck to Ukraine which will loose half of its territory again or more than it.

You mean Elections, right..?

Agree with your POV though.. Russia has been pushed a lot.

Looks like the cancer has become huge and fears nobody now

That's a great morale lesson: let JEW USA bully the little countries (Iran, Syria, Lebanon) and one day it's your turn and nobody care

I think you have no clue of world politics,this Crimean ''lesson'' what you are talking about was the only way for the US to accept Ukraine and Georgia without having to consider Russian worries.
How can anyone object to their membership now?
That you are a fan of Russia doesnt mean that you can''think'' irrational,who says this wasnt the plan of a very clever US administration;forcing Russia into acting in Crimea?
Who gained the most,Russia?
All they got is the Crimean peninsula.
Or was it the US/NATO?
Lets see,Ukraine from the west equiped with NATO standard weapons pointed at your beloved Russian Bear,Georgia from the south with the same weapons in the most dangerous region of Russia?
Now tell me,who is the fan and who rules?

Political posturing.

It's like this. A kid was teaching his brother a lesson about life, than a fat kid came along and told the skinny kid his brother should not be treated that way. So skinny kid gently pushed his his bro but big fat kid did not intervene to help the skinny kid's brother and bystanders laughted at him. So to save face, a week later fat kid goes sparring and practice his "fighting" skills with his buddy in front of skinny kid's home to show the skinny kid that he is really tough. Really tough.

Last edited:
But the skinny kid has no friends and is passive only reacting and not making initiatives

I think you have no clue of world politics,this Crimean ''lesson'' what you are talking about was the only way for the US to accept Ukraine and Georgia without having to consider Russian worries.
How can anyone object to their membership now?
That you are a fan of Russia doesnt mean that you can''think'' irrational,who says this wasnt the plan of a very clever US administration;forcing Russia into acting in Crimea?
Who gained the most,Russia?
All they got is the Crimean peninsula.
Or was it the US/NATO?
Lets see,Ukraine from the west equiped with NATO standard weapons pointed at your beloved Russian Bear,Georgia from the south with the same weapons in the most dangerous region of Russia?

:victory:

Russia: 17,124,442 square kilometers

Turkey: 783,562 square kilometers

List of countries and dependencies by area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

was NATO favoured erections of Georgia in 2008
You mean Elections, right..?

Agree with your POV though.. Russia has been pushed a lot.
I don't think there was any elections in Georgia in 08.
Its quite funny the way he put though.

The Georgian conflict happened in 08.
I still don't see it either joining NATO or having anything substantial pointing at Russia (military wise).

Back
Top Bottom