What's new

US to sell enhancements for 162 Abrams tanks to Morocco at a cost of $1.259 billion

Kailash Kumar

Reaction score
Country
Suriname
US to sell 162 Abrams tanks, weapons, ammo and military equipment to Morocco

30 NOVEMBER 2018

The U.S. State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Morocco of enhancements to 162 Abrams tanks for an estimated cost of $1.259 billion. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on November 28, 2018.

US_to_sell_162_Abrams_tanks_weapons__ammo_and_military_equipment_to_Morocco.jpg

Moroccan M1A1 Abrams

The Government of Morocco has requested to purchase enhancements to one hundred sixty-two (162) Abrams tanks procured through the Excess Defense Article (EDA) program to one of the following variants:

M1A1 Situational Awareness (baseline version),
M1A2M (includes Commander’s Independent Thermal Viewer) or
M1A1 U.S. Marine Corps version (includes Slew to Cue).

Included in the possible sale are
162 M2 Chrysler Mount Machine Guns;
324 M240 Machine Guns;
1,035 M865 Training SABOT Rounds; and
1,610 M831Al HEAT Rounds.

Also included are
162 Export Single Channel Ground and Airborne Radio Systems (SINCGARS);
162 RT-1702 Receiver Transmitters;
162 M250 Smoke Grenade Launchers;
M962 .50 caliber rounds;
special armor;
Hunter/Killer technology, which may include the Commander's Independent Thermal Viewer (CITV) or Slew to Cue solution;
Commander’s Weapon Station Variant which may include the Commander’s Weapon Station (CWS),
Stabilized Commander’s Weapon Station (SCWS), or
Common Remotely Operated Weapon Station- Low Profile (CROW-LP);
spare parts;
support equipment;
upgrade/maintenance of engines and transmissions;
depot level support;
Government-Furnished Equipment (GFE);
repair parts;
communication support equipment;
tool and test equipment;
training;
U.S. Government and contractor engineering, technical, and logistics support services;
and other related elements of logistics and program support.

The total estimated program cost is $1.259 billion.

https://www.armyrecognition.com/nov...s_ammo_and_military_equipment_to_morocco.html

That is one damn expensive programme there... I never knew Moroccans operated M1s. Sturdy tanks.

That is one damn expensive programme there... I never knew Moroccans operated M1s. Sturdy tanks.
only for show in parade grounds :)
For long range and patrols and real work horse falls to the Ratel.

Does this news makes Pakistanis of zardari tribe happy or upset?

Moroccan military is a well trained professional military. Moroccan special forces have proven themselves in the toughest of the situations. Tank and other Update like this should help morocco project power should the need arises, especially since there are trouble makers in the region. Morocco should consider joint production where ever possible, in all military acquisitions. Really push for it. Strategically placed and very influential, Morocco is is much better placed to seek international cooperation than many other Muslim nations, as well as having far more resources (including tourism generated) to fund further talent development. All in all makes Morocco well placed to make things happen.

They are operating almost 400 Abrams already including this 162 batch that will most likely get the M1A2M enhancements..

They are operating almost 400 Abrams already including this 162 batch that will most likely get the M1A2M enhancements..

Given their military requirements, they'd actually do well with lighter tanks than M1s. Medium tanks and Mobile Gun systems would be a better option for a small army like Morocco's. Just saying.

M1s are just too hefty.

Given their military requirements, they'd actually do well with lighter tanks than M1s. Medium tanks and Mobile Gun systems would be a better option for a small army like Morocco's. Just saying.

M1s are just too hefty.
I guess they know their needs better..BTW Morocco has a large professional army..

"The Royal Moroccan Armed Forces are large, expensive and well-trained with extensive experience in counter-insurgency, desert warfare and combined air-land operations."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Moroccan_Armed_Forces
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Moroccan_Armed_Forces

Its a very expensive tank to maintain. Its turbine engine, although not a failure but very resource intensive.

Major tank manufacturers have stayed away from turbines because they are costly to maintain as well as costly to run.

we already receive the first M1s with special equipments including special armor , BFT, and other things...
now we are talking about 162 with much better equipments u can notice that by the cost , look there is another include of special armor , hunter/technologie kill, CITV , remote gunner ... so basicly it is another lot with specific equipments just for morocco and they name it M1A2M and "M" mean morocco.

only for show in parade grounds :)
For long range and patrols and real work horse falls to the Ratel.
i'm sure u r talking out of knowledge about morocco we did not make any military parade since 2006!! that enough to make you shut up i guess :) our army is operated all around africa and EU (Kosovo)
Our army has been fighting for centuries i'm sure our experiences on war is far away from your country and oh we've been supporting u guys in the past to get freedom from ''racist" and u know Mandela come to us crying asking for support many times and we gave it to him.. so after that your stupid leaders decide to support the mercenaries aganist us (pretty reward huh?) and all of that because our economic scary you :D

we already receive the first M1s with special equipments including special armor , BFT, and other things...
now we are talking about 162 with much better equipments u can notice that by the cost , look there is another include of special armor , hunter/technologie kill, CITV , remote gunner ... so basicly it is another lot with specific equipments just for morocco and they name it M1A2M and "M" mean morocco.

i'm sure u r talking out of knowledge about morocco we did not make any military parade since 2006!! that enough to make you shut up i guess :) our army is operated all around africa and EU (Kosovo)
Our army has been fighting for centuries i'm sure our experiences on war is far away from your country and oh we've been supporting u guys in the past to get freedom from ''racist" and u know Mandela come to us crying asking for support many times and we gave it to him.. so after that your stupid leaders decide to support the mercenaries aganist us (pretty reward huh?) and all of that because our economic scary you :D
pal. u dont need to come down to street level trash in ur verbiage.

be respectful please.

So what is wrong with Sahawari.?.. you try to colonise still akin to french colonisers. Give people their rights they deserve. We did it with Namibia, so can you.

Last edited:
pal. u dont need to come down to street level trash in ur verbiage.

be respectful please.

So what is wrong with Sahawari.?.. you try to colonise still akin to french colonisers. Give people their rights they deserve. We did it with Namibia, so can you.

hahaha i'm full respectful , but pretty sure the history put the countries on the right places .. there is nothing named sahrawi people or country with same name on the area ..there is only moroccan sahara and moroccan kingdom , if u like that very well if u don't then push those mercenaries to meet some JDAM and rockets. we will never leave the sahara and never stop invading the africa economics , and ur country free to play fair away from dirty plans side with algeria :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom