What's new

US to build 1000 MW Nuclear Plant in India

xataxsata

Reaction score
US to build 1000 MW Nuclear Plant in India

US firm Westinghouse Electric and the NPCIL on Tuesday signed a preliminary pact for an Early Works Agreement (EWA) for installation of the first 1,000 MW American nuclear reactor in India under the historic 2008 Indo-US civil nuclear deal.

The announcement of the signing of the MoU, which represents a significant milestone towards the realisation of the Indo-US nuclear deal, coincided with the third Indo-US Strategic Dialogue headed by US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and External Affairs Minister S M Krishna.

The MoU with the Nuclear Power Company of India Limited (NPCIL) related to negotiating an EWA supporting future construction of 1,000 MW nuclear power reactors at the Mithivirdi site in Bhavnagar district in Gujarat. The EWA will include preliminary licensing and site development work.

"This(MoU) is a significant step towards fulfillment of our landmark civil nuclear cooperation agreement," Hillary said at a joint news conference with Krishna.

Referring to the signing of the MoU, Clinton, however, said there is still lot of work to be done including understanding the implications of the civil nuclear liability law. US nuclear companies have voiced reservations at some provisions of the liability legislation.

Clinton said the MoU committed both sides to work towards the preliminary licensing and site development work needed to begin construction of new reactors in Gujarat.

"This agreement is an important step which will allow Westinghouse and NPCIL to continue the work necessary for keeping the Mithivirdi project moving forward," said Gary Urquhart, vice-president and managing director of Westinghouse India.

US firm Westinghouse signs MoU for building nuclear plants in India - Business Today

US, India see progress with nuclear deal - FRANCE 24

LOL Russia...US..France all are building Nuclear plant in India .... SO much Advanced Nuclear technology to absorb.......:bounce:

Don't forget Japan as well and the UK, the thing is that this is what happens when you have many friends, and the biggest reason is that the World knows that India will protect the technology given to them.

Hence a lot of these big companies etc find it very easy to invest and help India grow, well done guys and congrats.

WHy are they building it in Gujarat, an already power surplus state? They should build it in karnataka or madhya pradesh, both states with heavy industries and little power.

WHy are they building it in Gujarat, an already power surplus state? They should build it in karnataka or madhya pradesh, both states with heavy industries and little power.

The power will be transferred to neighbouring states through transmission lines... they will build where there is land... It seems every state will have a power plant except north east and kerala...
Assam can have one, but other states have too much forest and tribals... Clearing land will be a problem...

Don't forget Japan as well and the UK, the thing is that this is what happens when you have many friends, and the biggest reason is that the World knows that India will protect the technology given to them.

Hence a lot of these big companies etc find it very easy to invest and help India grow, well done guys and congrats.

I think Japan is moving away from Nuclear power. What do you say?

The power will be transferred to neighbouring states through transmission lines... they will build where there is land... It seems every state will have a power plant except north east and kerala...
Assam can have one, but other states have too much forest and tribals... Clearing land will be a problem...

... and Gujarat is possibly the only state which will not start Politically motivated ' resistance' movements to Nuke power.

Thanks to its sagacious leadership.

Referring to the signing of the MoU, Clinton, however, said there is still lot of work to be done including understanding the implications of the civil nuclear liability law. US nuclear companies have voiced reservations at some provisions of the liability legislation.

This is where the issue will be stuck. India should make sure that US companies adheres to Indian terms & conditions when it comes to liability issues. Afterall we can't forget that bitter Bhopal experience...

I remember France was building a 10000 MW plant in Mumbai, if I am not wrong. Yes, its 10000 MW

I know that power can be transmitted, but that leads to transmission losses. Not to mention the money and infrastructure needed to set up inter-state high tension power lines. Which is why power should be produced near where there is demand. And madhya pradesh has plenty of land available, if I'm not mistaken.

Are you sure that every state will ave a nuclear plant? That seems far fetched, what about states like goa? Setting up a nuke plant is not child's play, I doubt India can set up that many, in that many places.

As a start we should set up nuke plants where there is huge shortage of power, and that shortage is causing economic slowdown due to reduced manufacturing output. Tamil nadu is one such example, but kudankulam is going to be commisioned soon, and if your chief minister is to be believed, TN will become a power surplus state soon. Karnataka, MP, Jharkand are states where the manufacturing sector cannot grow because of lack of power.

Considering that most Reactors being installed are ultra mega power projects ( 9-12 Giga Watt) it is logical to go with 1000MW reactor units to save space..

I know that power can be transmitted, but that leads to transmission losses. Not to mention the money and infrastructure needed to set up inter-state high tension power lines. Which is why power should be produced near where there is demand. And madhya pradesh has plenty of land available, if I'm not mistaken.

Are you sure that every state will ave a nuclear plant? That seems far fetched, what about states like goa? Setting up a nuke plant is not child's play, I doubt India can set up that many, in that many places.

As a start we should set up nuke plants where there is huge shortage of power, and that shortage is causing economic slowdown due to reduced manufacturing output. Tamil nadu is one such example, but kudankulam is going to be commisioned soon, and if your chief minister is to be believed, TN will become a power surplus state soon. Karnataka, MP, Jharkand are states where the manufacturing sector cannot grow because of lack of power.

U do understand, that already there will be transmission lines between states even in idle states.. So when they build a power station, all they need is to build a sub station to transfer the energy using the same transmission lines...
Remember one law.. I forgot author.. I think its Otto.. " Its impossible to build a engine or a thing which is 100% efficieent"
Indian transmssion lines have been upgraded..
And Goa is a state not even in consideration... Seeing the plans of GoI and still 350 million people need electrification(population growing), and the global warming issues, y not a Nuclear power plant is as many states as possible?
TN is having 2, maharastra will have 2 soon.. And power distribution of energy must be there... maybe after 3o years we can power plants in atleast 18-20 of states..

Power generated in all power plants are supplied into the national grid. and drawn out of the grid from substations. No need to build new grid.

Back
Top Bottom