What's new

US skier says Twitter account suspended after he praised Beijing Games; they get ‘pretty bad media’

Nan Yang

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
American skier Aaron Blunck says he was punished for praising Chinese organisers of the Beijing Winter Olympics. Photo: AP

Sport / China

Winter Olympics: US skier says Twitter account suspended after he praised Beijing Games; they get ‘pretty bad media’​

• Three-time Olympian Aaron Blunck says China has ‘done a stellar job’, while criticising biased coverage of the Games
  • Snowboarder Tessa Maud says she has tears in her eyes when she recalls how warmly she was welcomed on arrival in Beijing

Cyril Ip

Published: 7:09pm, 15 Feb, 2022

Three-time Olympian Aaron Blunck said he was suspended from Twitter after he and his US ski teammates praised China for its “stellar” operations at the Olympic Village.​

“They have honestly done a stellar job with the whole Covid protocol,” the 25-year-old told reporters in the press room, before criticising biased coverage of the Games. “I didn’t really know what to expect, being stateside you’ve kind of heard some pretty bad media, and that is completely false – it’s actually been phenomenal.”​

The 25-year-old said his Twitter account was then suspended, as he resorted to Instagram to protest the social platform’s unexplained decision, reposting a fan’s comment that read: “Aaron Blunck [is] out here telling the truth and getting punished by his own government.”​

Last edited by a moderator:
American skier Aaron Blunck says he was punished for praising Chinese organisers of the Beijing Winter Olympics. Photo: AP

Sport / China

Winter Olympics: US skier says Twitter account suspended after he praised Beijing Games; they get ‘pretty bad media’​

• Three-time Olympian Aaron Blunck says China has ‘done a stellar job’, while criticising biased coverage of the Games
  • Snowboarder Tessa Maud says she has tears in her eyes when she recalls how warmly she was welcomed on arrival in Beijing

Cyril Ip

Three-time Olympian Aaron Blunck said he was suspended from Twitter after he and his US ski teammates praised China for its “stellar” operations at the Olympic Village.​

“They have honestly done a stellar job with the whole Covid protocol,” the 25-year-old told reporters in the press room, before criticising biased coverage of the Games. “I didn’t really know what to expect, being stateside you’ve kind of heard some pretty bad media, and that is completely false – it’s actually been phenomenal.”​

The 25-year-old said his Twitter account was then suspended, as he resorted to Instagram to protest the social platform’s unexplained decision, reposting a fan’s comment that read: “Aaron Blunck [is] out here telling the truth and getting punished by his own government.”​

"Freedom of speech".

As a Chinese, my twitter account was blocked a long time ago
And don't tell me why
i have given up on twitter facebook
As far as I know, most of the administrators of the Chinese version of twitter and Facebook are from Hong Kong and Taiwan
They hate Chinese people

And don't tell me why
As far as I know, most of the administrators of the Chinese version of twitter and Facebook are from Hong Kong and Taiwan
They hate Chinese people
thanks for confirming state controls its citizens

I knew this already though

thanks for confirming state controls its citizens

I knew this already though
It's not actually the state, I use the VPN, it's those damn Taiwanese Hong Kong people, twitter and facebook are hiring people from Hong Kong and Taiwan to be the admins of the Chinese version. The political stance of these people is extreme hatred of China

And don't tell me why
They hate Chinese people
My friend facebook account blocked after posting the medal tally with China on top. :angry:

1644967911619.png

And don't tell me why
They hate Chinese people
Chinese should have their own Facebook and Twitter just like tiktok.

My friend facebook account blocked after posting the medal tally with China on top. :angry:

View attachment 815803
Directly blocking the account, the operation method of press freedom in the United States is really worth learning from. Now twitter and Facebook in the United States require mobile phone account registration, so that the United States knows the user's personal information and situation, and directly blocks the mobile phone number. You can completely block different voices.

Last edited:

Sport / China

Cyril Ip

He is a man with conscience. A personality which is very Rare in US media company.

Directly blocking the account, the operation method of press freedom in the United States is really worth learning from. Now Facebook and Facebook in the United States require mobile phone account registration, so that the United States knows the user's personal information and situation, and directly blocks the mobile phone number. You can completely block different voices.
maybe they think if China does not allow our companies open access in their vast market, why should we allow them to do propaganda in ours ?

YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter are behemoths which block accounts without due process and fairness. A platform like YouTube has no comparable competition. Being free social media companies they probably don't come under US government regulation on how to treat users. In the past, AT&T of America was a behemoth telecom company which was forced to breakup into several subparts by anti-trust laws. Maybe they should do the same with YouTube to break it up into different categories.

Back
Top Bottom