'US needs to change stance towards Modi-led India'

BanglaBhoot

RETIRED TTA
Reaction score
Country
France
Press Trust of India | Washington
May 1, 2014

The US might have to “reconsider its attitude” towards India if the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) wins power and Narendra Modi becomes prime minister, a senior American expert on South Asia has said.

“Modi and his strategy, if I can summarise it... India is going to be squeaking loud and is going to be doing things, some risky, some dangerous and some positive... And, I think the American policy has to reconsider its attitude towards India,” Stephen Cohen, Senior Fellow, Foreign Policy, at the India Project at Brookings Institution said at a panel discussion on Indian elections on Tuesday.

India under Modi, he said, is going to attract more attention and the US would have to adjust to that, strategically, politically and economically.

“I think, the big change that I see, we all thought Modi would transform India's economy. I think, that’s true if there is a Modi government. That is going to give him (Modi) more muscle and leverage in foreign policy. And, the key country isChina plus Japan and South Korea. Modi has a close relationship with China, Japan and South Korea and a bad relationship with the US,” Cohen told a Washington audience, which among others was addressed by Indian Ambassador to the US, S Jaishankar.

“He (Modi) is going to expand this into strategic advantage for India. That is he is going to use the economic relationship with East Asia, especially China, to enhance India’s power elsewhere. The original Nehruvian dream to make India among the top five-six countries of the world, I think he (Modi) is going to implement that,” said Cohen, who has written several books on India and is considered to be among the authoritative voices on India in the US.

'US needs to change stance towards Modi-led India' | Business Standard

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A similar appraisal of Indian foreign policy objectives appears in The India Doctrine but views this a source of instability and a threat to peace and security in the South Asia region -

https://www.academia.edu/5690262/The_India_Doctrine_1947-2007_

Last edited:
And, the key country isChina plus Japan and South Korea. Modi has a close relationship with China, Japan and South Korea and a bad relationship with the US,” Cohen told a Washington audience, which among others was addressed by Indian Ambassador to the US, S Jaishankar.

“He (Modi) is going to expand this into strategic advantage for India. That is he is going to use the economic relationship with East Asia, especially China, to enhance India’s power elsewhere. The original Nehruvian dream to make India among the top five-six countries of the world, I think he (Modi) is going to implement that,” said Cohen, who has written several books on India and is considered to be among the authoritative voices on India in the US.

That's great

Press Trust of India | Washington
May 1, 2014

The US might have to “reconsider its attitude” towards India if the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) wins power and Narendra Modi becomes prime minister, a senior American expert on South Asia has said.

“Modi and his strategy, if I can summarise it... India is going to be squeaking loud and is going to be doing things, some risky, some dangerous and some positive... And, I think the American policy has to reconsider its attitude towards India,” Stephen Cohen, Senior Fellow, Foreign Policy, at the India Project at Brookings Institution said at a panel discussion on Indian elections on Tuesday.

India under Modi, he said, is going to attract more attention and the US would have to adjust to that, strategically, politically and economically.

“I think, the big change that I see, we all thought Modi would transform India's economy. I think, that’s true if there is a Modi government. That is going to give him (Modi) more muscle and leverage in foreign policy. And, the key country isChina plus Japan and South Korea. Modi has a close relationship with China, Japan and South Korea and a bad relationship with the US,” Cohen told a Washington audience, which among others was addressed by Indian Ambassador to the US, S Jaishankar.

'US needs to change stance towards Modi-led India' | Business Standard

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A similar appraisal of Indian foreign policy objectives appears in The India Doctrine but views this a source of instability and a threat to peace and security in the South Asia region -

https://www.academia.edu/5690262/The_India_Doctrine_1947-2007_
Useless thread very deprived view US is not Stupid that he will let 2 of the future's most growing economic and Military global powers from a bloc together it will be the great challenge for them if they let Sino-indian-russian fotm a Bloc together in near future.Us always prefer s there objectives first you will see they will be first's few congratulate New Modi Regime. But in my view Sino-indian-russian alliance is better option for are Region.If Natt Can why Not Us

Last edited:
Useless thread very deprived view US is not Stupid that he will let 2 of the future's most growing economic and Military global powers from a bloc together it will be the great challenge for them if they let Sino-indian-russian fotm a Bloc together in near future.Us always prefer s there objectives first you will see they will be first's few congratulate New Modi Regime. But in my view Sino-indian-russian alliance is better option for are Region.If Natt Can why Not Us

In that case the US should start arming Pakistan and Bangladesh heavily to contain India ..... :agree:

In that case the US should start arming Pakistan and Bangladesh heavily to contain India ..... :agree:
U mean Pakistan going back to US?
Damn, these Pakistanis are not getting to come out of this shithole. Poor Junta i wud say.

If the US wants, it can break India into twenty pieces through organic revolutions.

Don't ever underestimate the power of the United States.

Thats funny :lol:.Arming at what extent :lol:...and for countering India:lol:

If the US wants, it can break India into twenty pieces through organic revolutions.

Don't ever underestimate the power of the United States.

US has same blood of Britians and they done already against us.

Okay we will get our weapons from whomever .... but India needs to be contained. :enjoy:

How can you contain India?Please explain

Back
Top Bottom