What's new

US Navy Railgun Successfully Fires Multi-Shot Salvos

Electromagnetic railgun will demo 10 rounds per minute

By the end of 2018, the Navy will test an electromagnetic railgun that can shoot 10 rounds per minute, according to a service official.

Within the year, Thomas Beutner, Naval Air Warfare and Weapons department head at the Office of Naval Research, told reporters July 20, a 32 megajoules electromagnetic railgun will be demonstrated at Naval Surface Warfare Center Dalhgren, VA, using a new composite launcher firing at 10 rounds per minute.

The service will also conduct the first-ever hypervelocity projectile flight demonstration in 2019, Beutner said.

In fiscal year 2019, the Navy will test the electromagnetic railgun with a series of different barrels to determine the best one for the fleet, Thomas Boucher, Naval Air Warfare and Weapons department program officer, said during the same presentation.

ONR will conclude its electromagnetic railgun program at the end of FY-19. Naval Sea Systems Command's program executive office for integrated weapons systems has a directed-energy program office that will then take the reins and determine the path ahead for the system.

https://insidedefense.com/insider/electromagnetic-railgun-will-demo-10-rounds-minute

What is the realised range now for the desired accuracy level?

I guess longevity of the barrel is the biggest hurdle to overcome now.

The smoke is a result of lubrication and the corrosive ablation of the rails through which 5 million amps are channeled. During discharge, ablation strips both lubricant and small amounts of material from the rails, vaporizes them and they are expelled along with the projectile. Add a cloud of particulate matter with heat generated by the electric current, both being expelled during discharge, and you get smoke and flame, even though the railgun itself doesn't use an explosive charge to propel its projectile.

Here we can see some of that particulate matter being expelled alongside the projectile.

railgun.png

The projectile is also superheated as a result of this process, adding to its penetration capability and conflagrating materials not generally flammable under normal conditions. In essence the real life version of "a hot knife through butter."

o-US-NAVY-RAILGUN-facebook.jpg

Desired accuracy: able to hit vehicle sized target at maximum range.

Realized range: 200+ NM.

The firing range is at Dahlgren, on the Patomac River. I can hear the tests from where I live.

Largely yes. There will be some lingering issues, one's any large cannon faces, such as noted above with corrosive ablation (a minor routine maintenance issue), but yes, the issue with barrel deterioration has been addressed adequately.

Bloody excellent! I'm hopeful it can be compacted as the setup, sans gantry, is still pretty large, though we also need to recognize that the power packs will be replaced be ship engines lowing the overall footprint. The autoloader looks great, smooth action, but the size of the assembly could use a reduction.

This of course isn't a final product, but a step in a final direction. Great progress though, it's really coming together. Lasers, railguns, what's next?

The Navy has confirmed the power system is small enough to fit aboard current Navy ships. It could use some modifications though.

I also didn't realize the railgun had a range over 200+ miles.

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/us-electromagnetic-railgun-primed-for-operational-demos.508923/

Back
Top Bottom