What's new

US, Indian navies sharing information on Chinese subs, says Pacific Command chief

Hindustani78

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
http://indianexpress.com/article/in...command-chief-admiral-harry-b-harris-4480900/

Although Pakistan does not fall under the jurisdiction of the Pacific Command, Admiral Harris said, “The relationship between China and Pakistan is of concern."

Written by Sushant Singh | New Delhi | Updated: January 19, 2017 8:52 am
us-adm-harris-ap-759.jpg

Admiral Harry B Harris, Commander of the United States Pacific Command, Wednesday said that US and Indian navies have been sharing information on the movement of Chinese submarines and ships in the Indian Ocean. He also said India should be concerned about the increasing Chinese influence in the region.

“There is sharing of information regarding Chinese maritime movement in the Indian Ocean,” Admiral Harris said. The US, he said, works “closely with India and with improving India’s capability to do that kind of surveillance. Malabar exercise… helps us hone our ability to track what China is doing in the Indian Ocean. Chinese submarines are clearly an issue and we know they are operating through the region.”

Responding to a question from The Indian Express, the Commander said, “India should be concerned about the increasing Chinese influence in the region. If you believe that there is only finite influence, then whatever influence China has means that influence India does not have.”

Although Pakistan does not fall under the jurisdiction of the Pacific Command, Admiral Harris said, “The relationship between China and Pakistan is of concern, and in my discussions with my Indian counterparts, they are clearly concerned about that. I believe that China’s relations with Bangladesh is of some concern… India views China correctly and we share the same view of China and I think we are in a good place.”

Highlighting the signing of military logistics agreement between the two countries last year after a decade, he expected that the two pending foundational agreements, the Communications Compatibility and Security Agreement (COMCASA) — formerly known as the Communications and Information Security Memorandum of Agreement (CISMOA) — and Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement (BECA) will also be signed but “at a pace India is comfortable with”.

COMCASA allows for secure exchange of communication between the militaries, while BECA is meant to facilitate the sharing of geospatial data. Emphasising their importance, he said that signing the COMCASA will allow the two navies to monitor Chinese submarines even better.

“In tangible terms, the P8 will be able to do more interoperable activities. The P8, as you know, is the world’s best anti-submarine warfare platform. India has the P8-I and we have the P-8A but they are completely uninteroperable because of different communication systems. In order to really maximise the potential of the aeroplane here in the Indian Ocean against those (Chinese) submarines we were talking about, we need to get this agreement through,” Admiral Harris said.

“There is sharing of information regarding Chinese maritime movement in the Indian Ocean,”

An unnecessary assertion; seems to be an attempt to stir trouble.

I can only hope this was not done with the acquiescence of some Indian bureaucrat who thought it sounds cool.

I can only hope this was not done with the acquiescence of some Indian bureaucrat who thought it sounds cool.
http://indianexpress.com/article/in...ty-is-not-jeopardised-sarath-fonseka-4480838/

By: Express News Service | New Delhi | Published:January 19, 2017 1:40 am

Sri Lankan regional development minister and former Army chief Sarath Fonseka Wednesday assuaged India’s concern over Chinese presence in the Indian Ocean. He said that Colombo would ensure that New Delhi’s security is “not jeopardised”.

Fonseka insisted that there was “no way” Sri Lanka wanted to upset Indian sentiments. He maintained that Colombo wanted to be neutral and stay away from power struggle between India and China. “We want to maintain highest relationship with India. At the same time, we also have a historical relationship with China,’’ he said here at the Raisina Dialogue 2017.

Fonseka asked India not to get worried as preparations were being done for India to develop the Trincomalee harbour. He acknowledged that the presence of Chinese submarines and naval ships in Sri Lankan waters is a matter of concern for India.

“They have the right to be concerned being a regional power. So, sometimes for training purpose we have had our defence forces communicating with other militaries. So this presence of submarines and warships is for training purpose and not for any defence activity.’’

http://indianexpress.com/article/in...command-chief-admiral-harry-b-harris-4480900/

Although Pakistan does not fall under the jurisdiction of the Pacific Command, Admiral Harris said, “The relationship between China and Pakistan is of concern."

Written by Sushant Singh | New Delhi | Updated: January 19, 2017 8:52 am
us-adm-harris-ap-759.jpg

Admiral Harry B Harris, Commander of the United States Pacific Command, Wednesday said that US and Indian navies have been sharing information on the movement of Chinese submarines and ships in the Indian Ocean. He also said India should be concerned about the increasing Chinese influence in the region.

“There is sharing of information regarding Chinese maritime movement in the Indian Ocean,” Admiral Harris said. The US, he said, works “closely with India and with improving India’s capability to do that kind of surveillance. Malabar exercise… helps us hone our ability to track what China is doing in the Indian Ocean. Chinese submarines are clearly an issue and we know they are operating through the region.”

Responding to a question from The Indian Express, the Commander said, “India should be concerned about the increasing Chinese influence in the region. If you believe that there is only finite influence, then whatever influence China has means that influence India does not have.”

Although Pakistan does not fall under the jurisdiction of the Pacific Command, Admiral Harris said, “The relationship between China and Pakistan is of concern, and in my discussions with my Indian counterparts, they are clearly concerned about that. I believe that China’s relations with Bangladesh is of some concern… India views China correctly and we share the same view of China and I think we are in a good place.”

Highlighting the signing of military logistics agreement between the two countries last year after a decade, he expected that the two pending foundational agreements, the Communications Compatibility and Security Agreement (COMCASA) — formerly known as the Communications and Information Security Memorandum of Agreement (CISMOA) — and Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement (BECA) will also be signed but “at a pace India is comfortable with”.

COMCASA allows for secure exchange of communication between the militaries, while BECA is meant to facilitate the sharing of geospatial data. Emphasising their importance, he said that signing the COMCASA will allow the two navies to monitor Chinese submarines even better.

“In tangible terms, the P8 will be able to do more interoperable activities. The P8, as you know, is the world’s best anti-submarine warfare platform. India has the P8-I and we have the P-8A but they are completely uninteroperable because of different communication systems. In order to really maximise the potential of the aeroplane here in the Indian Ocean against those (Chinese) submarines we were talking about, we need to get this agreement through,” Admiral Harris said.

Dear news already posted in Indian Navy dedicated thread, please don't create new threads as it attracts very less eyeballs.

I am certain Indian's were taken on board before releasing this information. India loves to show off when it's pairing with US, no matter what the field.

I am certain Indian's were taken on board before releasing this information. India loves to show off when it's pairing with US, no matter what the field.

Even Sri Lankan establishment is showing the issues in Indian Ocean .

As things are progressing it is clear that US is about to end its negative role in international disputes which she is engineering. She had realized that dollars will not help her anymore. Only thing that will work is human resource. For that US is talking help from India in IT and started to capture good minds around the world after tracking them on internet mainly Facebook and google.
US is also try to normalize relations with its opponents to make them 'Feel at Ease'.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom