What's new

US image in Muslim world abysmal: poll

That's right.

I find some bellyaching against Musharraf out here,

Fine. That is their democratic right.

If Musharraf is not doing as per the likes of the people of Pakistan and as KBagdadi wants to imply that he and BB are anti Islam, let the next election ensure that they do not return.

But if Musharraf returns, then it means the majority are for him and so the minority of the people can go and sulk for all Musharraf cares!

What if the elections are rigged as is the case in many elections and referendums in Pakistan. As muslim, the masses love Islam more than their life but generally they are not much aware of the cospiracies happening around them as major chunk of them resides in rural areas where they are generally vote under the commands of the Waderas or on the basis of Baradaris. Moreover agencies and security forces also play major role during the "free" & "fair" elections specially in Pakistan.

Kbagdadi,

I am not a Moslem. My pet name is Salim. Just like Anupam Kher (a Kashmiri Brahmin's son's name is Sikander)!

I assure you I am as good or a bad human as anyone whatever be the name.

There is every chance the election will be rigged. But then, that is the subcontinental 'birthright'.

But, slowly it is changing. Bangladesh is checking the electoral rolls with the comb, Indian Election Commissioners are getting stricter so much so the King of Rigging Laloo Pershad lost in Bihar!

Secularism is the only answer. We are human beings first and there after whatever. Can you deny that every man should have the right to exist as per his conscience or do you want people to be Pavlovian dogs?

I have felt Haneef was treated wrong by the Australian Federal govt. He is a Moslem. Does his being a Moslem diminish anyway his right to a fair investigation and trial, just because Osama is a terrorist? Therefore, should I treat Haneef's case with any less concern than I would for anyone else who does not get a fair deal?

Are all Moslems terrorist? The Australian govt was typecasting Haneef because if his religion and because the terrorists at Glasgow were Moslems and his relations! Supposing the UK declares that Christian laws are only valid in the UK and all Moslems will go by that law. Will that be OK by you?

As far as Pakistan is concerned, much loathed that it may seem, the military (with all its faults) has done a better job than the politicians. Unfortunate, but true!

Whatever you said about Saudi Arabia was never their official stand ever. Also I never said that the Saudi govt is not the puppet of US imperialists. It's a well known fact. However despite the whole historical scenario of the Middle East in front of you since the start of the 20th century, you are denying the excesses by US on Palestinians in particular and Arabs in general.

If one allows someone else to carry out "excesses', then there is no ground to complain!

What is not Saudis official stand? That they follow the Salafi form of Islam?

Only one sort of Islam is taught in Saudi schools. It's often referred to as "Wahhabism" or "Wahhabi Islam," though we were told "Salafi" is the proper term. The students learn that Mohammed Ibn Abdul Wahhab was an 18th- century preacher who advocated a very basic Islam, as he believed it was taught by Mohammed.

The preacher's descendants and the al Saud family united Saudi Arabia, marrying religion and politics. That marriage has been good for this part of the world, according to Prince Faisal bin Salman, a member of the ruling family who teaches political science at a university in Riyadh.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/middle_east/jan-june02/saudi_2-15.html

The Saud family and the rise of the Wahhabis - The Saud family was established in Ad Diriyah, in the center of Najd, near the modern capital of Riyadh, where they had settled around 1500. The tribes of the Najd, relatively isolated from Islamic life, had resumed various pagan practices. Some of the Arabian tribes attributed to trees and rocks the same sort of power that the Shia venerate in the tombs of Imams. Muhammad ibn Abd al Wahhab (died 1792), initiated a comprehensive reform. He grew up in Uyaynah, an oasis in southern Najd, where he studied Hanbali Islamic law. He continued his studies in Medina and then went to Iraq and to Iran. In the late 1730s he returned to the Najd and began to write and preach against both Shia and local paganism. He focused on Muslim monotheism, and preached that there is only one God, who does not share power with anyone. His students called themselves muwahhidun (unitarians). Their detractors referred to them as "Wahhabis"--or "followers of Muhammad ibn Abd al Wahhab."

Wahhab attached a militant political dimension to his preaching, attacking the Shia and attracting local sheikhs to his cause. He won over some local leaders in Uyaynah and destroying some shrines there with the assistance of the Saud family, but was obliged to leave that town because of Shi'a pressure, and headed for Ad Diriyah, where he was welcomed by the Saud family. In 1744 Muhammad ibn Saud, head of the family, and Muhammad ibn Abd al Wahhab, swore a traditional Muslim oath promising to work together to establish a state based on Islamic principles.

By 1765, when he died, Muhammad ibn Saud's forces had established Wahhabism and the authority of the Saud family, over most of Najd. His son, Abd al Aziz, continued the Wahhabi advance. In 1801 the Al Saud-Wahhabi armies attacked and sacked the shrine of Husayn in Karbala, Iraq. In 1802 or 1803 they advanced on the Hijaz. In Mecca and Medina they destroyed monuments and grave markers used for prayer to Muslim saints and for votive rituals, which they consider acts of polytheism, just as Muhamed had supposedly destroyed pagan idols in Mecca. The Wahhabi advance to the Hijaz alarmed the ruler of Egypt, Muhamad Ali. In 1812 (some say 1816) he sent his son Tursun to the Hijaz, and later joined him. On the Saudi side, Abd Allah ibn Saud ibn Abd al Aziz who faced the invading Egyptian army, but was rapidly defeated, and then pursued to Al Diriyah and evicted from there in 1818.The Wahhabis and the Saud family retreated to Riyadh, which became their capital in 1824. Subsequently the Sauds ruled Riyadh and a variable territory around it. However, interfamily rivalry and frequent civil wars weakened them. In 1890 Muhammad ibn Rashid, put effective control of Riyadh, into the hands of his own garrison commander, Salim ibn Subhan ruling through a Saud family puppet. When the puppet ruler, Abd ar Rahman attempted to exert his authority, he was driven out of Riyadh. The Saud family fled to Kuwait.
http://www.mideastweb.org/arabiahistory.htm

A person who hid the truth as culpable as the person who lied.
Arabs have more than their share of blame when it comes to palestinians.
US have never had any direct involvement with the Palestinians. The mess was created by the British.

Back
Top Bottom