What's new

US: Home sizes and prices expand nationwide (2,720 square feet)

Home sizes and prices expand nationwide

New homes in the U.S. are getting bigger as the economic strife of the recession becomes a memory. Yet, with the larger homes comes a bigger price tag. The average price of a new home in 2015 was $351,000, up $100,000 from 2009. The average home climbed to roughly 2,720 square feet last year – up from 2,660 in 2014. This represents the second largest average new home size since 2009, according to the National Association of Home Builders.

The increased home sizes follows historical trends of home sizes in post-recession periods. Square footage tends to decrease during economic uncertainty as both buyers and builders look to cut costs. As the economy continues to rebound, high-end homebuyers are returning to the market, causing demand for larger properties to increase.

Low interest rates and low down-payment options are providing families with opportunities to purchase larger homes and still maintain a comfortable budget. Conforming no point 30-year fixed mortgage rates are averaging 3.75 percent and 15-year rates are near 3.125 percent.

ELEV_LRRosewell4_517.jpg

2700 sq ft
What will be cost of 1,500 sq ft apartment ?

hard to find a video of 2700sq feet. It's either above or below.

2700 sq ft

2600sq ft

2600sq ft

2800sq ft

these are beautiful, spacious and well-designed houses and also importantly, on the ground level and within open and leafy neighborhoods... the underlined is quite unlike the new construction projects that have come up in the last 15 years in india and i am confident in china... the neo-rich middle-class in india and china getting interest-based loans from private banks did not demand harmonious living but for some reason got convinced to buy houses within apartment blocks and these blocks many times in the first-tier and second-tier cities are set within "gated communities" where there are five to ten 10-storey blocks, despite many of these sites pretending to offer some garden... for me it would be stifling... anyone having cats living with them mostly cannot live here as cats would find it difficult to go up and down and the general lack of trees.

there are non-apartment houses in my town but they are generally chaotic and in my area quite a few plot owners have sold their plots to builders who will build 4-storey apartment block.

my house is a corner plot of 30x50 feet, i think, and what should really have happened is that the behind my house and the one next to my house and the one behind that one should all have been a single plot so that the house is set within a garden... if this was followed by the government then in my lane, between two main roads, there would have been 15 to 20 people living instead of the possibly 100 of now.

i have three points to make about your vids :

1. the '2.5 bathroom' idea is not proper... it should be three full bathrooms.

2. open kitchen is fine but there should be a mesh partition so that mischievous five-year-olds or cats do not get into danger while dashing about in play.

3. is the 'planning center' a new trend in usa??

anyone having cats living with them mostly cannot live here as cats would find it difficult to go up and down and the general lack of trees.
Lots of trees and a few cats in my neighborhood. Although most of the trees around here are a little on the large size and it's actually unusual for a cat to attempt to climb them.

five to ten 10-storey blocks,...for me it would be stifling

My wife and I once lived in a one bedroom apartment on the 5th floor of a 7 story building that was 50 years old. Couldn't wait to get out. So I can relate.

1. the '2.5 bathroom' idea is not proper... it should be three full bathrooms.

Well a full usually means toilet/sink + shower/bath

The theory is one full dedicated to the parents, one full for the kids, and a half for visitors (since they don't need a shower/bath) and of course the family can use it too (usually it's the one you walk into when you are dirty from gardening, washing paint off your hands, etc)

2. open kitchen is fine but there should be a mesh partition so that mischievous five-year-olds or cats do not get into danger while dashing about in play.

Yes, an open kitchen is a little more dangerous however I think the idea is to allow mom to keep an eye on the kids playing/studying in the opened room while she's cooking.

3. is the 'planning center' a new trend in usa??

Not sure if a trend...but a very recent thing. Sort of a small home office I guess.

The open floor plan is sort of blurring what was the traditional room layout of homes...as explained here: Team USA | Page 77

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom