What's new

US has backup plan if Pakistan shuts Shamsi base: officials

third eye

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
US has backup plan if Pakistan shuts Shamsi base: officials | World | DAWN.COM

WASHINGTON: The United States plans to keep using an airstrip inside Pakistan for non-lethal drone flights against militants near the Afghanistan border despite demands from some Pakistani officials that Washington vacate the base, three US officials said.

The airstrip at Shamsi in Balochistan will continue to be used for some drone surveillance operations, while the CIA, which is principally responsible for the missions, is already using facilities in Afghanistan to launch some armed drone aircraft strikes on targets over the border in Pakistan.

“The facility remains fully operational and supports American counterterrorism operations in Pakistan,” one of the officials told Reuters on Monday.

But the official added: “If, for whatever reason, it was no longer available, there are certainly other ways to continue the program and to sustain the intense pressure it’s put on al Qaeda and its militant allies.”

The Washington Post reported on Saturday that three months ago the CIA had suspended using the base as a launch site for armed drones targeting al Qaeda and other militants.

However, a US official said any temporary lull in drone operations from the Pakistani base was part of a wider dropoff instituted by the United States during bilateral tensions over Pakistan’s arrest and detention of CIA contractor Raymond Davis on murder charges.

US officials said CIA and Pakistani personnel remain stationed at the Shamsi facility.

Keeping the base open for US drone flights and maintaining Pakistani involvement in base operations is regarded in Washington as a means of ensuring that Islamabad retains a stake in the CIA’s use of the remotely controlled drones.

The two US officials said the United States already has adequate infrastructure outside Pakistan —principally in Afghanistan, though one official said ships could also be used —to continue substantial drone operations against militant targets in Pakistan.

as far as i know shamsi base is NOT under US control. Drones are launched from afghanistan.

Unfortunately, the backup plan isn't as good as the one under Shamsi base. When the US stops getting help from Pakistan in terms of logistical support for the WOT in Afghanistan, they will find themselves in a precarious situation in Afghanistan.

Unfortunately, the backup plan isn't as good as the one under Shamsi base. When the US stops getting help from Pakistan in terms of logistical support for the WOT in Afghanistan, they will find themselves in a precarious situation in Afghanistan.

Valid point.

What is worth considering is what happens when the reverse happens ?

How far will the Pak economy go without Uncle Sam ? If it can then the facilities should be withdrawn post haste.

Valid point.

What is worth considering is what happens when the reverse happens ?

How far will the Pak economy go without Uncle Sam ? If it can then the facilities should be withdrawn post haste.

Nothing will happen to the economy of Pakistan. We got sanctioned before also and lived through, will do it again.

Nothing will happen to the economy of Pakistan. We got sanctioned before also and lived through, will do it again.
Biut before you had the capacity since your economy was doing well. But now, growth is only 2%.

Biut before you had the capacity since your economy was doing well. But now, growth is only 2%.

Even when we got sanctioned, our economy was in a poor state, but we went past that decade of sanctions.

Do you guys seriously believe that a country which has 17-18B US$ additional revenue potential is in need of just 1-1.5B$$ of US aid, and even in that 1-1.5B$ US aid, good portion of the money goes back into the pocket of the US in shape of huge salaries of USAid staff, their TA/DAs, first class air tickets and equipment / supplies being procured from the US. At the end, hardly a few hundred million dollars reach the intended users, where also a lot of corruption takes place.

Problem is with our leaders who don't have the vision or the balls to make this country great.

As i always say and have just said, we have everything to become a great nation and a country fully standing on its feet, all we need is a good leadership.

We are sure that we will survive, if not then you should be happy rather than worried.

So what exactly is your point, US should not shift its logistic support from Pakistan and continue aiding Pak?

US has backup plan if Pakistan shuts Shamsi base: officials | World | DAWN.COM

WASHINGTON: The United States plans to keep using an airstrip inside Pakistan for non-lethal drone flights against militants near the Afghanistan border despite demands from some Pakistani officials that Washington vacate the base, three US officials said.

The airstrip at Shamsi in Balochistan will continue to be used for some drone surveillance operations, while the CIA, which is principally responsible for the missions, is already using facilities in Afghanistan to launch some armed drone aircraft strikes on targets over the border in Pakistan.

“The facility remains fully operational and supports American counterterrorism operations in Pakistan,” one of the officials told Reuters on Monday.

But the official added: “If, for whatever reason, it was no longer available, there are certainly other ways to continue the program and to sustain the intense pressure it’s put on al Qaeda and its militant allies.”

The Washington Post reported on Saturday that three months ago the CIA had suspended using the base as a launch site for armed drones targeting al Qaeda and other militants.

However, a US official said any temporary lull in drone operations from the Pakistani base was part of a wider dropoff instituted by the United States during bilateral tensions over Pakistan’s arrest and detention of CIA contractor Raymond Davis on murder charges.

US officials said CIA and Pakistani personnel remain stationed at the Shamsi facility.

Keeping the base open for US drone flights and maintaining Pakistani involvement in base operations is regarded in Washington as a means of ensuring that Islamabad retains a stake in the CIA’s use of the remotely controlled drones.

The two US officials said the United States already has adequate infrastructure outside Pakistan —principally in Afghanistan, though one official said ships could also be used —to continue substantial drone operations against militant targets in Pakistan.

Contradictions, week before there were news from US press that CIA shifted Drones to Afghan bases and Shamsi airbase is no longer used for Drones strikes. Now this report so we are not clear what is actual situation there till ISPR will not release its position.

Mark my words the U.S. will be staying for the time being at Shamsi. Pakistan will continue as they always have. To say one thing publicly and privately they continue to help and support us. I mean come on do you really think that if Pakistan really wanted Shamsi closed down that it wouldn't be immediatly? I remember some of the same people in this thread complaining about the drone strikes a year ago. And believing the Government official line. Only to find out later the Government was actually providing intelligence for the strikes.

Mark my words the U.S. will be staying for the time being at Shamsi. Pakistan will continue as they always have. To say one thing publicly and privately they continue to help and support us. I mean come on do you really think that if Pakistan really wanted Shamsi closed down that it wouldn't be immediatly? I remember some of the same people in this thread complaining about the drone strikes a year ago. And believing the Government official line. Only to find out later the Government was actually providing intelligence for the strikes.

Not even an inch of doubt in it.Current setup is exactly pointing this.But whenever I see the Osama Bin Laden incident it confuses me each and every time.I sometimes think that Pakistan is picking the eggs under the chicken one by one without letting it know.But then again I may be wrong.Or may be USA is bluffing.But one thing I am very certain and that is both do not trust each other and and I think both never will.On this fact of lack of trust we can safely predict what might be the future holds.I am sure you will agree.

Even when we got sanctioned, our economy was in a poor state, but we went past that decade of sanctions.

Do you guys seriously believe that a country which has 17-18B US$ additional revenue potential is in need of just 1-1.5B$$ of US aid, and even in that 1-1.5B$ US aid, good portion of the money goes back into the pocket of the US in shape of huge salaries of USAid staff, their TA/DAs, first class air tickets and equipment / supplies being procured from the US. At the end, hardly a few hundred million dollars reach the intended users, where also a lot of corruption takes place.

Problem is with our leaders who don't have the vision or the balls to make this country great.

As i always say and have just said, we have everything to become a great nation and a country fully standing on its feet, all we need is a good leadership.

Not only us Guys but many of YOUR OWN editors, political economists (which i pre-assume have higher intellect and knowledge than you ) also thinks same..

Last edited by a moderator:

Do you not feel that the buck is being passed around ?

Good leadership is relative, in any case the PA calls the shots in Pak & from what I have seen on this forum over the years that I have been here is that the PA is adored by the masses. The PA has ruled the nation possibly longer than any one else.

Somewhere down the line it appears to an outsider that the people in Pak appear to lack assertiveness and have got used to attributing all their ills to someone else be it leadership , the US or Politicians but never their own selves.

It would be natural to ask what can the masses do by themselves ? Well , the answer is for the people of Pak to find they could take clues from what happened in E Europe, N Africa & so many other places. In India too at the height of her power Indira Gandhi who was the strongest PM India has ever had faced mass movement from Jayprakash narayan and even the imposition of emergency was resisted by people who did not belong to political parties. It does not always need a political party or a known leader. The Anna Hazare situation in India today is an example where mass movements can happen & make the Govt sit up & take notice of public sentiments.

The point I am trying to make is why do the people of Pakistan behave like doormats ? its the same stock who prior to 47 fought everything the Brits did contributing to independence of the sub continent . Is the fear of the PA more than that of the Brits ?

@ the topic , if Pak can do without US & its aid then what is PA waiting for ?

Given that Islamabad is under US control, how will Shamsi not be under US control? Time for a Dharna at Shamsi, we will have to do what this government of pussies has not been able to.

Given that Islamabad is under US control, how will Shamsi not be under US control? Time for a Dharna at Shamsi, we will have to do what this government of pussies has not been able to.

^^^ Despite the corrupt nature of the Pakistan Administration, I can't help but feel sorry for them sometimes. There is one group that says that Pakistan is overly subservient to the Taliban, & there is another group that says Pakistan is overly subservient to the US, & that Pakistan should root out the US from the region & stop being subservient to them. Such a headache for the Administration sometimes. There is no black & white situation in this, Pakistan must do whatever it can to secure its interests. Simple. All this talk by the Islamists about Islamabad being under US control is rubbish, when the US media & the US Administration claims the opposite to be true. Pakistan is not subservient to anyone, & is looking after its national interests.

Back
Top Bottom