What's new

US Envoy refutes Indian TV report on US base in Bangladesh

Big Boss

BANNED
Reaction score
US Envoy refutes Indian TV report on US base in Bangladesh

Despite media reports stating that the US wants to open a navy base in Bangladesh, US Ambassador Dan Mozena claims there are no such plans. Mozena says there was “no discussion whatsoever” when Secretary of state Hillary Clinton visited the country.

Monday, June 4th 2012, 12:52 PM

Dhaka and Washington have already termed the report baseless, unfounded and fabricated.

US Ambassador to Bangladesh Dan Mozena yesterday refuted outright an Indian media report that the US wanted to park its Seventh Fleet in Chittagong.

"There is no plan, no discussion, and no idea of having "a base" in Bangladesh. I was here with Secretary (Hillary) Clinton, as you know. I was with her, I was at her side the whole time she was here," he told reporters after a certificate award ceremony in the capital, referring to Clinton's Bangladesh visit in first week of May.

"And in her [Clinton] meetings with the honourable prime minister, the honourable foreign minister, the honourable leader of the opposition, there was no discussion, no discussion, no discussion whatsoever about the Seventh Fleet. The word was never even mentioned...about any base or anything like that," private satellite channel ATN Bangla quoted Mozena as saying.

On Thursday, Times Now, a Mumbai-based 24-hour English news channel, aired a news item that said the US wanted to have a naval base in Bangladesh in its strategic interests.

The Times of India website carried a written version of the TV report.

Dhaka and Washington have already termed the report baseless, unfounded and fabricated.

Speaking as chief guest at yesterday's programme, organised by News Network and American Centre, Ambassador Mozena praised the role of the Bangladeshi media in establishing democracy and addressing problematic issues.

At the ceremony, certificates were awarded to 20 women journalists on their completion of a nine-month training programme.

"The best way to build a strong democracy is to strengthen the pillars of democracy, especially the media," the US diplomat observed.

"I believe a responsible media, with a powerful tradition of investigative reporting shining the light into the dark corners of corruption, ineptness, laziness and incompetence, is essential, absolutely essential, to building a strong democracy," he added.

Envoy refutes Indian TV report on US base in Bangladesh - NY Daily News

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom