US considers Tibet as part of China: White House

Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
US considers Tibet as part of China: White House
PTI | Jul 19, 2011, 01.00pm IST
WASHINGTON: The US considers Tibet as part of China and does not support independence for the region, the White House said on Tuesday.

"The US position on the status of Tibet has not changed. We consider Tibet to be part of the People's Republic of China and do not support independence for Tibet," White House press secretary Jay Carney told reporters at his daily news conference.

The weekend meeting of the US President Barack Obama with Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, Carney said was an expression of his support for the preservation of Tibet's unique traditions and the rights of the Tibetan people.

"The president encourages the resumption of dialogue between the Dalai Lama's representatives and the Chinese government to resolve longstanding differences," Carney said.

"He is a Nobel Prize Laureate, as you know, and an internationally recognised religious and cultural leader. And the president meets with him, as other presidents have, in that capacity," Carney said.
US considers Tibet as part of China: White House - The Times of India

Yes this as conveyed by Carney in response to question regarding President Obama and hon. Dalai Lama meeting

Q Did they meet in the Oval Office, by the way?

MR. CARNEY: I’m not sure. No. Let me see, I have something on this. It was not in the Oval Office. But he is a Nobel Prize Laureate, as you know, and an internationally recognized religious and cultural leader. And the President meets with him, as other Presidents have, in that capacity.

The President’s meeting with the Dalai Lama was an expression of his support for the preservation of Tibet’s unique traditions and the rights of the Tibetan people. The President encourages the resumption of dialogue between the Dalai Lama’s representatives and the Chinese government to resolve longstanding differences.

The U.S. position on the status of Tibet has not changed. We consider Tibet to be part of the People’s Republic of China and do not support independence for Tibet.

Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney, 7/18/2011 | The White House

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom