What's new

US conducts another successful hypersonic cruise missile test at nearly 350 miles

F-22Raptor

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
WASHINGTON, July 18 (Reuters) - The United States has successfully tested a Raytheon Technologies Corp (RTX.N) air-breathing hypersonic weapon capable of speeds faster than five times the speed of sound, making it the third successful test of that class of weapon since 2013, the Pentagon said in a statement on Monday.

It looks like a dead cat bounces to me.

When you don't have the infrastructure capability to build the megastructure like the JF-22 wind tunnel, those Mach 30+ hypersonic weapons will always remain as an unachievable dream for you.

When you don't have the infrastructure capability to build the megastructure like the JF-22 wind tunnel, those Mach 30+ hypersonic weapons will always remain as an unachievable dream for you.

Hypersonic cruise missiles are the crown jewels of hypersonic strike. Cheaper than HGVs and US bombers can carry far more. For example, a B-1 can carry 6 ARRW HGVs, but 20 hypersonic cruise missiles.

Hypersonic cruise missiles are the crown jewels of hypersonic strike. Cheaper than HGVs and US bombers can carry far more. For example, a B-1 can carry 6 ARRW HGVs, but 20 hypersonic cruise missiles.

It is self-explanatory.

As usual, you do not know what you are talking about. The X-15 flew Mach 6 back in 1967.

The hypersonic cruise missile of today is an extension of the X-15 program. This version is more versatile than the boost glide method your China is boasting about.

China's flown two types of combined cycle hypersonics. One level above scramjet. It combined scramjet with rocket and ramjet. The other combined cycle combined rocket turbofan and scramjet. X-15 is not a glider or waverider. It is a manned rocket plane. Space shuttle is also a hypersonic aircraft and spacecraft too. Then all manned spaceflights are hypersonic too. Ballistic missiles are all hypersonic weapons. If we're only talking about boost glide and waveriders then that's a totally different class. Iran has lots of hypersonic weapons. They even have hypersonic glide weapons of dual conical type. Waveriders are a different matter.

Furthermore China's flown sodramjet and oblique detonation engines. Scramjet too... of course but scramjet is not used as sole propulsion method for higher speeds. These days it is combined cycle engine programs. In any case boost glide has many types, easier dual conical gliders or wing like waveriders. Boost glide can be much harder than HCM. HCM can be a tube and a working scramjet. Waveriders are much faster and harder to control.

I think US will work out HAWC before ARRW due to waverider (I'm assuming ARRW is waverider rather than a simpler type of glider) being more difficult than a scramjet powered lower hypersonic speed HCM. There is no one is more versatile than the other. It simply depends. HCM right now struggle to reach Mach 10. China's global ranged hypersonic that traveled 40,000km averaged Mach 20 speed during that flight. Waveriders can be more versatile but in other ways engine propelled hypersonics can be more versatile. It depends on the situation and application.

Missile development is an ongoing process — from subsonic to supersonic to hypersonic. China has developed one, but so many other countries have it. Even India has hypersonic missiles. First you have to test it, then operationalise it. Also when a missile travels at such high speeds, trajectory correction is not that simple. Without knowing the character of the missile, such as what load it can carry, there is no need to be too worried.
Last year, when China tested its so called hypersonic missile, the missile missed its mark by around 24 miles :haha:

lol

Furthermore China's flown sodramjet and oblique detonation engines.
..in a wind tunnel, using hydrogen as fuel. Which is ok on the ground but the problem with hydrogen is the volume density of the fuel and low boiling point. The space shuttles massive tank carried 8 minutes of fuel for its RS-25 engine. The tanks were especially insulated to keep the hydrogen at minus 423 degrees Fahrenheit. How do propose to fuel a hydrogen powered sodramjet engine in an actual Mach 20 flight?

So when you say the sodramjet has flown you are attempting to mislead the gullible - aren't you?

..in a wind tunnel, using hydrogen as fuel. Which is ok on the ground but the problem with hydrogen is the volume density of the fuel and low boiling point. The space shuttles massive tank carried 8 minutes of fuel for its RS-25 engine. The tanks were especially insulated to keep the hydrogen at minus 423 degrees Fahrenheit. How do propose to fuel a hydrogen powered sodramjet engine in an actual Mach 20 flight?

So when you say the sodramjet has flown you are attempting to mislead the gullible - aren't you?

The Mach 20 flight did not disclose what engine if any engine it was using.

I said China has scramjet, TRCC combined cycle, TBCC combined cycle, Sodramjet (which is NASA's name for a theoretical engine) aka oblique detonation wave engine, and a rotating detonation engine. BUT you are right in that the sodramjet at least public information on it say no test flight but lab test. The test flight was for rotating detonation engine rather than the sodramjet. But not saying sodramjet has also been test flown doesn't mean it hasn't but we'll leave that at what is known publicly and revealed about it.

I mistook sodramjet for rotating detonation engine which has been test flown. These are two separate types of engines.

As for the mach 20 flight that was 40,000km ranged or so, that supposedly missed its target by 24 miles (lol). This object apparently released a payload projectile which at first China said was testing space launch system after lots of noise about FOBS. Then Ministry of Foreign Affairs message about only being spacelaunch technology was rebutted eventually by China admitting this can be weaponized and the speculation about the projectile fired from the aircraft was filled with speculation.

It's interesting to note that China reported that it has flown and landed one of the Tengyun project aircrafts which most likely (speculated) to use some combined cycle engines. This would not be a weaponized sodramjet powered or scramjet or any other powered type since it is designed as single stage or two stage to orbit craft and reusable hypersonic inside the atmosphere. This test flight was done in 2021 and it is unknown yet whether this is the exact same craft as the mach 20, 40,000km ranged flight object.

In any case, it seems the less sensitive engines are revealed and reported on. Anything truly militarily sensitive is most likely hidden unless it serves some strategic purpose to reveal hints about. In any case the known have flown type of engines in China is scramjet, TRCC, TBCC (one is kerosene fuel I believe), rotating detonation engine. The lab only is sodramjet. These are the known info. Not reported doesn't mean doesn't exist or not flown though but let's assume it is so.

As for DF-ZF aka DF-17 rocket's vehicle, it is so old and non-sensitive that it is allowed to be sold to North Korea in small numbers. That one is assumed to be a waverider on MRBM booster... but again waveriders have certain attributes that are harder than HCM. Usually higher speeds of flight and extremely difficult control mechanisms and guidance sensor chains. For China the US already knows that includes dozens of satellites spanning at least three constellation series types and HALE drones such as WZ-8. Recently Chinese state media even mentioned that sensor node chains include regular aircraft as potential for acting as targeting nodes and sensor nodes. Every platform communicates and can participate rather than just the satellites and HALEs.

anyway this is now off topic but I wonder whether those two flights are the same aircraft or from the same Tengyun project.

As for HAWC and ARRW. ARRW has tested the booster successfully now. HAWC has tested its scramjet engine successfully now.

Scramjet the US mastered a long time ago. I guess for HCM, it is a matter of keeping the engine lit for the entire duration while performing some tasks and maybe turns as well.

Last edited:
I bet USA puts HAWC into service before ARRW. Not because HAWC is more useful and versatile and hence has more push to get into service (both are pretty much equal priorities) but because I think ARRW is harder to perfect and finish than HAWC.

Comments on HAWC being able to be carried in much greater numbers is accurate though. I still don't consider that to be the highest priority for US given both projects are like to haves of equal measure.

I think US is actually ahead of Russia in hypersonics but it is not paid much attention or worth saying and admitting by US. Both US and China understate their abilities and more often than not under report their abilities and almost never exaggerates them or show directly before something is ready. Russia in more recent decades are going the way of India is exaggerations and me too efforts. However Russia given their economic condition simply has much less to throw at these projects.

It is no longer about whether US and China can do whatever. It is about how much they can do it for and how many they can make given some time.

Here the US suggests that hypersonic weapons are expensive but of course these words are a bit too worthless. It could simply be scale of production or several components that need to scale up and become cheaper. China has mentioned that it can produce them relatively affordably. Both have the details I'm sure and have enough intel to understand this more than we do here.

The real interesting thing is who will complete hypersonic aircraft first. Not even needs to be commercial aviation since that would be many decades away from allowed even but just a working reliable enough hypersonic aircraft that can transport multiple people (at least) and be reusable. Making them economical of course may take tears to decades more but such a non war related project is something all of us can look forward to.

Last edited:
Remember the Mia Channu incident where Pak fails to intercept India’s BrahMos missile and that particular incident has raised questions inside Pakistan’s military and political circle as to how did the missile travel inside Pakistan air space for nearly three minutes without being intercepted by any of its air defence systems. During this time the missile covered 124 km before it landed near the Pakistan's eastern city of Mian Channu.
Even if we consider the BrahMos accidental launch as an human error, it successfully managed to penetrate deep into the territory of 🇵🇰, key point is we have demonstrated HQ9 (🇨🇳)or none of your ADS can intercept the high speed projectile, so the objective is clear and louder :haha: :D

No your military launched by accident and admitted it as such, one in a long line of blunders.

As usual, you do not know what you are talking about. The X-15 flew Mach 6 back in 1967.

The hypersonic cruise missile of today is an extension of the X-15 program. This version is more versatile than the boost glide method your China is boasting about.

When China starts to fly a hypersonic plane, you will know what the word "versatile" really means. :enjoy:

WASHINGTON, July 18 (Reuters) - The United States has successfully tested a Raytheon Technologies Corp (RTX.N) air-breathing hypersonic weapon capable of speeds faster than five times the speed of sound, making it the third successful test of that class of weapon since 2013, the Pentagon said in a statement on Monday.

Congrat for US for copying China hypersonic missile after so many failure.

:enjoy:

National pride is at stake.' Russia, China, United States race to build hypersonic weapons​

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom