What's new

US Army considers to replace Black Hawk & Apache with this helicopter

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
US Army considers to replace Black Hawk & Apache with this helicopter

getasset.aspx

A Texas-based start-up will challenge three rotorcraft industry giants for a possible US Army contract to replace the Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk and Boeing AH-64 Apache with a single, high-speed aircraft.

In late September, the US Army awarded the last of four study contracts for the joint multi-role (JMR) programme to AVX, a two-year-old company launched by former Bell Helicopter engineers.

In June, the army selected separate bids from Bell Boeing, Boeing and Sikorsky to participate in the same study. Over the next 18 months, the four companies will deliver a series of reports on design and cost options for each of their concepts. The army plans to select two bidders in fiscal year 2014 to build prototypes that demonstrate the performance of their aircraft designs.

AVX is proposing a new airframe with a speed of around 200kt (370km/h) that is powered by an 18.3m-diameter (60ft-diameter) coaxial rotor for vertical lift, and two ducted fans for horizontal thrust.

It is similar in concept to a standing proposal to the army by AVX to upgrade the Bell OH-58D Kiowa Warrior with a coaxial-rotor, ducted-fan propulsion system. AVX is currently modifying a Bell 206 Jet Ranger with the new propulsion system. It has also unveiled concepts for applying the coaxial-rotor, ducted-fan configuration to the civil market with the AVX 815 and 825.

For the JMR requirement, the army wants an aircraft with a minimum speed of 170kt that can carry a 2,720kg (6,000lb) internal load.

AVX's concept would require two engines generating 4,000shp (2,984kW) each, said Troy Gaffey, president and chief engineer. The proposal depends on the development of the 3,000shp advanced affordable turbine engine (AATE), Gaffey said. He added that the AATE, which is in competition between General Electric and a Honeywell/Pratt & Whitney team, should be scalable to 4,000shp.

US Army considers Texas start-up

Now, people will say that is an expensive copy of the Russian Black Shark :lol:

No control surfaces seem to be visible, so i guess it would be controlled only by the propellers and no other surface.

is it me or does it seem like the more technologically advanced we get the more uglier the designs get...

the heli looks good....
lets see if and when it comes into production...
we all know the fate of comanche

You people should know that US used to make money out of Wars, it was the money making machine which itself has now come to the end of life, the profitability of War has diminished and gone, you people will be astonished to know US has many of project that are simply useless when the current machines of war are superbly in order to work for the next 2.5 decades. Those are the project that have unnecessarily damaged the economy, US economy was not going bad ways it was US Government spending on Wars, useless Military projects, huge funding on israelis and useless countless many other projects.

One has to be cautioned China also is doing the same spending on many projects unnecessarily, failed to understand why would China spend on JH-7s when J-11BS (su-30) which are also naval specific along with J-15s (su-33) and invest in JH-7? I believe J-11BS can perform all those duties that are handed over to JH-7 the number of many types is a ridiculous idea where the world is moving towards lesser types US/Europe even Russians. This is what US used to do in 50's & 60's with so many types of aircraft and replaced them with-in a decade an unnecessarily burden on the economy. I can write all day about this& that engaging engineers to innovate and develop and expand in the technological is far productive then developing planes with similar role both SU-30/J-11BS and JH-7 can perform naval role with J-11BS can take on as air superiority role as well multirole platform is always better in today's environment the example would be Rafale, Typhoon, F-15, F-18, up coming F-35, I think JH-7 is an unnecessary development.

I disagree with people calling it an ugly design. It looks rather cool and unique..

Kamov will always be the maker of co-axial helicopters.

Some startup isn't going to be able to just come in and design a helicopter from scratch that has such a high power and max speed.

Back
Top Bottom