US announces $150 million for Mangla dam expansion

Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
US announces $150 million for Mangla dam expansion
DAWN.COM | 1 hour ago
ISLAMABAD: The United States on Wednesday announced a grant of 150 million dollars for the expansion of the Mangla Dam power plant, DawnNews reported.

The project is expected to generate 310 megawatts of electricity.

Addressing the inauguration ceremony of the project at Mangla Power House, US Ambassador to Pakistan Richard Olson said the US would provide 150 million dollars for the expansion of the Mangla power station.

Olson said a meeting of the Energy Working Group would be held in Islamabad in the month of December, adding that, the construction of the Diamir-Bhasha Dam was a priority for the US.

Addressing the ceremony, Chairman Water and Power Development Authority (Wapda) Syed Raghib Abbas Shah said 400 million dollars would be spent on the expansion of the Mangla power house which would be able to provide additional production for the next 40 years.

“The fourth phase expansion work will begin in March 2012,” Shah said.

Moreover, he said that the feasibility report of five mega projects was in the process of completion.

He also said that in the next five years, 5,000 megawatts electricity would be added to the national grid which would benefit 1 million consumers.

by the time the money is released our relation would be tensed with usa again and as is in the past
This grant will be forgotten again

Good of them. Let's double cross them and use the money for something useful and then also stop the NATO supply route to the Americans :)

Is better power generation not "useful" in your book?

It is! I have no problems with the dam's expansion. We should still double cross the US, just for old time's sake :D

This celebration was bound to happen.

What happened to Death to Amreekans ? :D

Back to old days.

No visa given yet. Death to America!

It is! I have no problems with the dam's expansion. We should still double cross the US, just for old time's sake :D
No visa given yet. Death to America!
You are one of the most honest poster in this regard. :D

I appreciate the $150 million however I would want it returned; if we can't raise such a paltry sum without bringing in the begging bowl then we really need to lynch our bureaucracy & the political elite. We shouldn't be needing anything of this - It is beyond embarrassing not to mention we can't take their money & yet keep on criticizing them as if they're evil incarnate.

I appreciate the $150 million however I would want it returned; if we can't raise such a paltry sum without bringing in the begging bowl then we really need to lynch our bureaucracy & the political elite. We shouldn't be needing anything of this - It is beyond embarrassing not to mention we can't take their money & yet keep on criticizing them as if they're evil incarnate.

Return their money? No, one should take it and then say Mitti Pao, Death to America!

Grant is free money that does not have to paid back, it seems the USA is still in the business of winning hearts and minds.

Back
Top Bottom