What's new

UNSC bows to India, mum on Iran

Ajaxpaul

Reaction score
NEW YORK: India on Thursday joined a diplomatic initiative by the United States and Israel in the Security Council to issue a statement condemning the recent terror attack on an Israeli diplomat in New Delhi, after others came around to heed its insistence not to mention Iran.

In a press statement issued by UNSC president Kodjo Menan from Togo, the UN "condemned in the strongest terms the terrorist attack in New Delhi, India, aimed at Israel's diplomatic personnel, which resulted in injuries to diplomatic personnel and civilians, and the recent attempted terrorist attack in Tbilisi, Georgia".

India could not have stayed away from supporting this UNSC statement, given that Indian citizens were injured, but India was insistent that Iran not be mentioned by name since investigations were not over.

It "reaffirmed that terrorism in all its forms and manifestations constitutes one of the most serious threats to peace and security and that any acts of terrorism are criminal and unjustifiable regardless of their motivations, whenever and by whomsoever committed". Only the New Delhi and Tbilisi attacks were mentioned in the UN statement. The Bangkok incident, which actually caught Iranian-origin nationals, did not find mention. According to a claim by the chief of Shin Bet, the Israeli security service, several weeks ago, they had preempted attacks in Azerbaijan and Turkey. None of those attempts have been referred to in the statement.

India also pushed for inclusion of a line in the statement asking other member countries to share information regarding the attack with New Delhi, particularly as there has been little headway in the investigations.

Therefore, the statement "underlined the need to bring perpetrators, organizers, financiers and sponsors of these reprehensible acts of terrorism to justice, and urged all states, in accordance with their obligations under international law and relevant Security Council resolutions, to cooperate actively with all relevant authorities in this regard".

The press statement was the result of a complaint made by Israeli envoy to the UN Ron Prosor to the United Nations secretary general, in the wake of the attack of February 13.

UNSC bows to India, mum on Iran - The Times of India

I dont know how UNSC is bowing here, but Iran got a break from India. But Israelis will hunt them down.

The entire UNSC (consisting of all the great powers in the world), BOWED down to India? :cheesy:

Incredible!!!

NEW YORK: India on Thursday joined a diplomatic initiative by the United States and Israel in the Security Council to issue a statement condemning the recent terror attack on an Israeli diplomat in New Delhi, after others came around to heed its insistence not to mention Iran.

In a press statement issued by UNSC president Kodjo Menan from Togo, the UN "condemned in the strongest terms the terrorist attack in New Delhi, India, aimed at Israel's diplomatic personnel, which resulted in injuries to diplomatic personnel and civilians, and the recent attempted terrorist attack in Tbilisi, Georgia".

India could not have stayed away from supporting this UNSC statement, given that Indian citizens were injured, but India was insistent that Iran not be mentioned by name since investigations were not over.

It "reaffirmed that terrorism in all its forms and manifestations constitutes one of the most serious threats to peace and security and that any acts of terrorism are criminal and unjustifiable regardless of their motivations, whenever and by whomsoever committed". Only the New Delhi and Tbilisi attacks were mentioned in the UN statement. The Bangkok incident, which actually caught Iranian-origin nationals, did not find mention. According to a claim by the chief of Shin Bet, the Israeli security service, several weeks ago, they had preempted attacks in Azerbaijan and Turkey. None of those attempts have been referred to in the statement.

India also pushed for inclusion of a line in the statement asking other member countries to share information regarding the attack with New Delhi, particularly as there has been little headway in the investigations.

Therefore, the statement "underlined the need to bring perpetrators, organizers, financiers and sponsors of these reprehensible acts of terrorism to justice, and urged all states, in accordance with their obligations under international law and relevant Security Council resolutions, to cooperate actively with all relevant authorities in this regard".

The press statement was the result of a complaint made by Israeli envoy to the UN Ron Prosor to the United Nations secretary general, in the wake of the attack of February 13.

UNSC bows to India, mum on Iran - The Times of India

I dont know how UNSC is bowing here, but Iran got a break from India. But Israelis will hunt them down.

please don’t take timesofindia seriously it’s not a very good source to be considered on this forum. That’s a given. :disagree:

please don’t take timesofindia seriously it’s not a very good source to be considered on this forum. That’s a given. :disagree:

Why not, I agree the topic is misleading, and I had said my views in the last line.

The news is about India balancing Israel and Iran. Some members here were asking questions like who would India Pick? I say both Iran and Israel.

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

The entire UNSC (consisting of all the great powers in the world), BOWED down to India? :cheesy:

Incredible!!!

Couldn't digest it? lol

Why not we need more of this. Hail the Sino-Indian Ties :china:
India.gif

Why bro? It is the largest English language newspaper in circulation in the world. Just because some people here don't like it so what? Nothing wrong with the news content here. India did stymie an attempt to blame Iran for the terrorist strike in New Delhi without adequate evidence. The title is an exaggeration, I admit. But these guys are not scientists, they are journalists. They don't get paid to be accurate.

Why bro? It is the largest English language newspaper in circulation in the world. Just because some people here don't like it so what? Nothing wrong with the news content here. India did stymie an attempt to blame Iran for the terrorist strike in New Delhi without adequate evidence. The title is an exaggeration, I admit. But these guys are not scientists, they are journalists. They don't get paid to be accurate.

Being the largest English newspaper in circulation in the world/universe - Being the best English newspaper in circulation : there is a difference...
And yes TOI doesn pay the journalists to be accurate, they pay them to be moronic instead..!! :hitwall:
The Hindu is ten times better than TOI(I get a hint of right wing extremism in that paper which is the only negative part)...
People are requested to take all the articles/news published in TOI with a pinch of salt..!!

I agree with you there, however, there is nothing for us to apologise about. People are requested not to get stuck on obviously frilly and exaggerated parts of a preamble but to get to the core message.

And where was Security Council when Iranian scientists were getting killed?It's really interesting that after 11 years and hundreds of terrorist attacks all over the world,now suddenly they remembered that they should condemn something.Of course i'm sure it's a coincidence that it's about Israel.

And where was Security Council when Iranian scientists were getting killed?It's really interesting that after 11 years and hundreds of terrorist attacks all over the world,now suddenly they remembered that they should condemn something.Of course i'm sure it's a coincidence that it's about Israel.

unfortunately this is a very bad attitude...WHERE WAS blah blah....u think thats only coz israel is involved...NO

this kind of attitude is eating away any kind of development...have a good life

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom