What's new

Unfinished Indian Deals Keep MBDA On Toes

anant_s

Reaction score
Country
India
MBDA entered Aero India on a fair high. With a tidy deal for MICA missiles in the bag as part of the IAF Mirage 2000 upgrade package, the company is now looking to close a few more deals quickly. The PARS 3 LR stand-off anti-tank weapon competes to arm the Light Combat Helicopter and Rudra against the Israeli Spike family of weapons. The ASRAAM (shown here in its intended over-wing configuration) is squared off against the Israeli Rafael Python-5. And 10 days from now, MBDA's Mistral system (yes, that's me scoping the system out) will be in Ladakh for cold weather trials alongside two other contenders -- Russia's Igla-S and Saab's RBS 70 NG -- towards the Indian Army's huge $6-billion VSHORADS requirement. MBDA is, of course, also closely monitoring progress on the MMRCA negotiations. A contract there could be one of MBDA's largest ever.

Livefist: Unfinished Indian Deals Keep MBDA On Toes

DSC08382-001-706685.JPG

DSC08386-001-710004.JPG

DSC08392-001-712059.JPG

ASRAAM

DSC08383-001-708132.JPG

Tejas Trainer with Python and Derby Missiles

DSC08352-726044.JPG

DSC08351-728778.JPG

ndia's LCA Tejas twin-seat trainer mock-up on display at Aero India 2013 for the first time shows it alongside a Rafael Python-5 IR short-range air-to-air missile and a Rafael Derby BVRAAM. The latter is a stopgap in the event that the Astra isn't delivered on time, and also for testing requirements. Also on the mockup are the R-73 and the Astra.

Journalist Tamir Eshel over at Defense Update reports, "Assuming the Astra missile currently developed for the aircraft not meet the full flight envelope performance goals, the IAF and Indian Naval Aviation are integrating the Derby and Python 5 missiles on the aircraft, along with Russian R73 that was slated for the aircraft from the beginning, to meet the required full-operational capabilities level for the fighter. These weapons will be needed primarily to meet the Indian Navy requirement for carrier air defense, as the LCA will begin to replace the Sea Harriers that currently carry those missions with these weapons."
http://livefist.blogspot.in/2013/02/lca-tejas-sports-python-derby.html

Members of BR talked with ADA and IN officials at Aero India, which confirmed that the Python V are only mock ups that were offered for LCA, but that the forces will remain with R73 as the prime WVR missile.
EL 2032 seems to be the current radar, Derby and Kh 35 the current BVR and anti ship missiles.

Members of BR talked with ADA and IN officials at Aero India, which confirmed that the Python V are only mock ups that were offered for LCA, but that the forces will remain with R73 as the prime WVR missile.
EL 2032 seems to be the current radar, Derby and Kh 35 the current BVR and anti ship missiles.
I read the same post from BR where the member stated the MK.2 would be initially equipped with the same ELTA radar found on the Sea Harriers (post LUSH UPG). I feel the member should have been clear this was the radar that would initially be based on the MK.2 prototypes but the AESA will be integrated at a later stage before the final production a/c is ready.

@topic- MBDA looks set to do VERY well from India in the next 1-2 years!

I read the same post from BR where the member stated the MK.2 would be initially equipped with the same ELTA radar found on the Sea Harriers (post LUSH UPG). I feel the member should have been clear this was the radar that would initially be based on the MK.2 prototypes but the AESA will be integrated at a later stage before the final production a/c is ready.

Which needs to be seen, MICA is cleared, METEOR will follow if Rafale is procured, but the AASM lost out against SPICE 2000 for the Mirage upgrade, although it will come for Rafale for sure. The Asraam is the most likeliest addition for the Jaguar upgrade, but IAF can still go for AIM 9 or Python V if they might be more cost-effective.

Besides these I only see Scalp, or Mistral as possible additions from MBDA, otherwise most weapon systems might remain Russian, Israeli and hopefully soon Indian.

Which needs to be seen, MICA is cleared, METEOR will follow if Rafale is procured, but the AASM lost out against SPICE 2000 for the Mirage upgrade, although it will come for Rafale for sure. The Asraam is the most likeliest addition for the Jaguar upgrade, but IAF can still go for AIM 9 or Python V if they might be more cost-effective.

Besides these I only see Scalp, or Mistral as possible additions from MBDA, otherwise most weapon systems might remain Russian, Israeli and hopefully soon Indian.

You are right but the deals you have mentioned MBDA may win are not insignificant- they are worth Billions of USD.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom