What's new

UN hails Musharrafs F-16 jet delay

Thunder

Reaction score
UN hails Musharraf's F-16 jet delay

ISLAMABAD: Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf's decision to postpone the purchase of F-16 jet fighters is a welcome move which will free up money for needy earthquake victims, the United Nations said on Saturday.

"These are definitely welcome comments," the UN's emergency coordinator in Pakistan Jan Vandemoortele told foreign media, referring to Musharraf's announcement on Friday that he would delay plans to buy around 25 of the multi-million-dollar planes.

"It will certainly free up the money to take a larger part of the pie, because the work has to be done and if the international community will not come up with the resources, the ultimate resources will be domestic," he said.

Musharraf said during a tour of the devastated city of Muzaffarabad Friday that he was putting off the long-awaited deal to buy the US-built warplanes to focus on aid efforts.

http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/index.html

I guess, it was certainly a good decision, but if we had enough money today by economy and people would have provide the money which they said they will provide we wouldn't have to see many difficulties in earth quake disaster and which were having right now.

Now we have too see is if how long is it going to take, my guess is probably 6-8 months more.

We were suppose to be getting these by 2009 right? All of them?

Its a great thought but what would happen if Pakistan dont buy jets? I mean the fighter gap.

:ace: Well Done General!
its a good decision on time!
now we have to plan for about 40 F16MLU AND 40 F16blk 50/52CJ/DJ in future! :victory:

Originally posted by Owais@Nov 7 2005, 10:43 AM
:ace: Well Done General!
its a good decision on time!
now we have to plan for about 40 F16MLU AND 40 F16blk 50/52CJ/DJ in future! :victory:
[post=2445]Quoted post[/post]​

Man, i say forget the stop gap, spend some big bucks on advance fighters once for all.

I mean these fighters no longer serve the purpose of "stop gap" we all wanted to fill in the PAF, but i guess they can be helpful in replacing fighters like F-7s, A5s, and same goes with the JF-17.

Also guess what! I dont think we will be planning to get 200 JF-17s, and the number will stay at 150 for a long time.

The air force doesn't seems to be a bad as defensive force what you guys think? :W00T:

Pakistan's F-16 buys are good for us

By J.R. LABBE

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

The writer of a recent letter to the editor was doing his darnedest to find a silver lining in the cloud that was the deadly earthquake in eastern Pakistan.

Perhaps Mother Nature's wrath will have brought some good, he suggested, if it means the Pakistani government can't afford to buy American-made F-16s.

Perish the thought that one day those U.S.-made planes would be turned against soldiers from the very nation that provided them, as were the small arms with which the United States equipped Afghan freedom fighters so they could try to turn back a Soviet invasion in the 1980s. Some of those weapons have been used by Taliban sympathizers and anti-democratic warlords against coalition forces that removed the Taliban from power in Afghanistan after 9-11.

The writer's wish came true Friday, when Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf announced that he's suspending a major purchase of additional Fighting Falcons. During a tour of Muzaffarabad, a city devastated by the quake, Musharraf said that the money is needed more for recovery.

Notice my inclusion of additional in that last paragraph. Pakistan is among the 24 nations that have purchased various models of the F-16 from Lockheed Martin Aeronautics and its predecessor General Dynamics since the plane went into full production. Pakistan entered into an agreement with the U.S. foreign government military sales program that delivered the first planes back in 1983. Currently, 32 are operational.

Interesting historical note: Pakistan's F-16s logged plenty of air combat during the Soviet war in neighboring Afghanistan during the 1980s. Soviet aircraft would often follow Afghan mujahedeen fighters fleeing over the border into Pakistan, and the Pakistanis would defend their airspace. Pakistani F-16s claimed about a dozen kills.

In the more than two decades that Lockheed has been delivering F-16s to foreign nations, not once has a plane been used in aggression against the United States. The leaders of the nations that purchase F-16s know very well that if they want to keep those birds flying, with a steady supply line of parts and upgrades, they must maintain good relations with the United States.

Musharraf need only look at his country's history to know what could happen should he do something to anger America. In the early 1990s, Pakistan inked a deal for 28 additional planes. But then the Pakistanis engaged in some ill-advised saber-rattling and detonated a nuclear device. In May 1998, President Clinton signed an executive directive issuing sanctions against Pakistan; stop orders were put in place faster than you could say, "Armageddon."

Those sanctions were lifted in the fall of 2001. Pakistan's cooperation with the United States in fighting the war on terror deserves recognition.

Selling additional F-16s to foreign partners is important, not just for diplomatic and defense purposes but for local economic reasons.

Lockheed is rapidly approaching a crossroads in its production lines. The next generation of war fighter -- the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter -- is still in the system development and demonstration phase. Congress is playing budget games with the funding needed to move into production. And although a high rate of F-35 production is planned for 2009 and 2010, Lockheed very much needs additional F-16 orders to keep all the lights burning at its Fort Worth facility between now and then.

In the interest of full disclosure, I reveal my lifelong affection for almost anything that has a Lockheed or General Dynamics logo affixed to it. My father was a pilot in the 1940s and '50s and sat behind the controls of aircraft manufactured by Convair, the predecessor of General Dynamics. He met my mother when she worked as a secretary at the "bomber plant" on Fort Worth's west side.

Mom went back to work at GD after my dad was killed in 1958. It was there that she met my stepfather, who eventually became director of manufacturing and facilities for General Dynamics.

I'm a self-confessed homer when it comes to my admiration for Lockheed and its crucial role in Fort Worth's economy.

Musharraf's decision is nothing to cheer about -- not in this town.

Originally posted by Ahsan F@Nov 7 2005, 12:14 PM
Man, i say forget the stop gap, spend some big bucks on advance fighters once for all. :SNIPER:

I mean these fighters no longer serve the purpose of "stop gap" we all wanted to fill in the PAF, but i guess they can be helpful in replacing fighters like F-7s, A5s, and same goes with the JF-17.

Also guess what! I dont think we will be planning to get 200 JF-17s, and the number will stay at 150 for a long time.

The air force doesn't seems to be a bad as defensive force what you guys think? :w00t:
[post=2448]Quoted post[/post]​
we should buy rafales and technology rights :) :PakistanFlag:

next year they will have MORE mony.

Originally posted by Yahya@Nov 8 2005, 05:07 AM
we should buy rafales and technology rights :) :PakistanFlag:

next year they will have MORE mony.
[post=2489]Quoted post[/post]​

Our economy is growing and will continue to grow, no one will deny that.
But Rafales come with a big price tag, i.e. $80+ million a piece. No way we can afford to have such an expensive fighter for coming years to follow.
I say, a mixture of block 50/52 F-16C/D's, JF-17's and Saab J-39 should do the job till the end of this decade.
We should try to build one of our own with French and Chinese and maybe Russian cooperation.

A very good point Neo, indeed this would be great for PAF. PAF has just ordered 8 Erieyes mounted on SAAB-2000. The corporation between Sweden and Pakistan will be developed more by it, and then once the F-16 delivery completes than there is a high chance that we will be getting Gripens, and if that happens i think there is a deal that they will integrate the data linking system to all of our aircrafts.

Originally posted by Neo@Nov 8 2005, 07:21 PM
But Rafales come with a big price tag, i.e. $80+ million a piece. No way we can afford to have such an expensive fighter for coming years to follow.
I say, a mixture of block 50/52 F-16C/D's, JF-17's and Saab J-39 should do the job till the end of this decade.
We should try to build one of our own with French and Chinese and maybe Russian cooperation.
[post=2526]Quoted post[/post]​

Originally posted by Neo@Nov 9 2005, 12:21 AM
Great Idea!

Originally posted by Neo@Nov 9 2005, 01:21 AM
going for EUTyphoon in future is the best option because its cheaper than rafale and the world's 2nd best fighter! :victory: (In my opinion)

The current game is about military budget, we dont have much money to spend on military. We have a lot better things where we can spend our money on, the solution to give PAF updated technology was F-16s. PAF will remain inferrior to big militaries even after F-16s but it will provide a good tool for experiencing upgarded/advance hardware for military warfare.

Getting the new aircraft in the future will be an easy thing once the country gets prosper and gets in a stable economic shape. Then spending on planes like Typhoon, Rafale, JSF, J-XX wont hurt, since we will be spending only a tiny chunk from our GDP. Also by that time it is a possibility that Pakistan will be starting new advanced projects in aviation with the help of other countries if needed.

Originally posted by Owais@Nov 12 2005, 04:05 PM
going for EUTyphoon in future is the best option because its cheaper than rafale and the world's 2nd best fighter! :victory: (In my opinion)
[post=2798]Quoted post[/post]​

Originally posted by Neo@Nov 9 2005, 01:51 AM

i wouldnt call even the JAS-39E/F a good solution for PAF as the Grippen is over all inferior to F-16blk 50/52 the only thing which grippen has better than the F-16 is its datalinking perioud excluding that Grippen is or will be only little bit better than the JF-17 so i wouldnt call it a wise idea IMO i would be much happy to see 40
Rafale F-3 than lets say 60 grippens........... :thumbsup: :victory:

can any one please tell me where do you guys get info about prices and other stuff of fighter jets I mean google is our friend but still any site?

Just recieved a news by Geo, that air cheif marshall has said that if Pakistan wants to get F-16 jets. It should get it now or it will lose a good needy period that PAF needs. So looks like that it might influence the Musharraf decision.

Back
Top Bottom