What's new

UAE summons Iraq envoy to protest Saudi terror accusations

Arabian Legend

Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
The UAE has summoned Iraq's ambassador over accusations by Nouri al-Maliki, the Iraqi prime minister, that Saudi Arabia supported terrorism, state media reported.

State Minister for Foreign Affairs Anwar Gargash handed ambassador Mowafak Mahdi Abboud a memorandum protesting against Maliki's claims that "Saudi Arabia supports terrorism," the official WAM news agency said on Wednesday.

"Such remarks are false and not based on a proper assessment of the situation in the region concerning terrorism, especially as Saudi Arabia plays a significant role in combating all forms of terrorism," said Gargash.

In an interview aired on Saturday, Maliki claimed Saudi Arabia and neighbouring Qatar were supporting armed groups in Iraq and across the Middle East, as well as what he described as "terrorism worldwide".

Saudi Arabia on Monday described Maliki's accusations as "aggressive and irresponsible", saying they were aimed at "blaming others for the domestic failures of the Iraqi prime minister".

Riyadh accused Maliki's Shia-led government of implementing "sectarian and exclusionary policies", in an apparent reference to the disgruntled Sunni Arab minority, reported AFP news agency.

Iraq has been hit by a year-long surge in violence that has reached levels not seen since 2008, driven principally by discontent among its Sunni Arab minority and by the civil war in neighbouring Syria.

UAE summons Iraq envoy over 'terrorism' claim - Middle East - Al Jazeera English

Why is UAE summoning the Iraqi ambassador over this issue, shouldn't it be Saudi Arabia doing that to the Iraqi ambassador to Saudi?

There is no Iraqi ambassador to Saudi Arabia neither Saudi to Iraq. The relation is yet to be normalize.
When was the last time the countries had ambassadors/dipomatic relations? How come you don't have relations, now that Saddam is gone, and both states are US friendly? What is the outstanding issue now?

When was the last time the countries had ambassadors/dipomatic relations? How come you don't have relations, now that Saddam is gone, and both states are US friendly? What is the outstanding issue now?

There has been no relation since Iraq invaded Kuwait. Iraq is now ruled by bunch of immature people. Once they man up things will change.

There is no Iraqi ambassador to Saudi Arabia neither Saudi to Iraq. The relation is yet to be normalize.

Hey bro :smart:

How's it been?

Although it is not widely known to many, Iraq actually has an embassy in KSA, while the latter maintains a virtual one with an Ambassador who's based in Riyadh.

Here is Iraq's embassy to Saudi Arabia's site:

Untitled Page

Why is UAE summoning the Iraqi ambassador over this issue, shouldn't it be Saudi Arabia doing that to the Iraqi ambassador to Saudi?

The UAE took this action on its own without consulting us at first hand that's because we maintain strong ties, and that the UAE is a long-standing friend and ally to us.

We don't befriend any country because it maintains a friendly relation with the US or whatever. Our decisions were calculated by what suits us the most.

A high ranking Saudi official (in fact it may have been the foreign minister Faisal) said that KSA will never accept an Iraqi government that is ruled by Shiites. They said it to US officials and its documented.
So that should explain the KSA position and attitude visavi Iraq.

KSA will never have an embassy in Iraq with current Iraqi government in power.

Hey bro :smart:

How's it been?

I'm doing great, U?

Although it is not widely known to many, Iraq actually has an embassy in KSA, while the latter maintains a virtual one with an Ambassador who's based in Riyadh.

Here is Iraq's embassy to Saudi Arabia's site:

Untitled Page

Hmm I see, it seems like a low level diplomatic mission that's all !

A high ranking Saudi official (in fact it may have been the foreign minister Faisal) said that KSA will never accept an Iraqi government that is ruled by Shiites. They said it to US officials and its documented.
So that should explain the KSA position and attitude visavi Iraq.

KSA will never have an embassy in Iraq with current Iraqi government in power.

May I see the evidence which you're citing please?

I'm doing great, U?

Hmm I see, it seems like a low level diplomatic mission that's all !

I'm good thanks for asking. :bounce:

Yes, but there is still an ambassador in it ..

The UAE took this action on its own without consulting us at first hand that's because we maintain strong ties, and that the UAE is a long-standing friend and ally to us.
That must be quite a deep friendship.:whistle: I've never heard of a third country summoning an ambassador for statements made by one country to another.

We don't befriend any country because it maintains a friendly relation with the US or whatever. Our decisions were calculated by what suits us the most.

I know. My assumption was that since the Iraq under Saddam had hostile relations with Saudi, and that regime was replaced by a new one that hated the old, maybe the new state was friendly to Saudi. Also mentioned America because countries that have very friendly relations with USA are usually friendly towards each other. There used to be a theory that no two countries that have a McDonald's in them ever go to war with each other.

Maybe later.
So, I'm guessing that I'm right to say that so far there has been no solid evidence about such a claim? Good, @janon has the right to know that no such thing has ever happened.

I know. My assumption was that since the Iraq under Saddam had hostile relations with Saudi, and that regime was replaced by a new one that hated the old, maybe the new state was friendly to Saudi. Also mentioned America because countries that have very friendly relations with USA are usually friendly towards each other. There used to be a theory that no two countries that have a McDonald's in them ever go to war with each other.

Point taken, thanks for clarifying your take :smart:

Back
Top Bottom