beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
U.S. to highlight China cooperation at ASEAN forum
By Lauren French

WASHINGTON | Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:24pm EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States will stress "engagement and cooperation" with China at security talks next month in Southeast Asia where nations are wary of getting caught in superpower rivalry, a senior U.S. official said on Wednesday.

Kurt Campbell, assistant secretary of state for East Asian and Pacific Affairs, said the United States and China would unveil new cooperative initiatives at the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Regional Forum in Cambodia.

The two powers will announce plans to work together on humanitarian disaster relief and wildlife protection -- uncontroversial projects that reflect "our strong determination that we want to work with China," Campbell told the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a Washington think tank.

"We will have areas of differences, we will have areas where we will naturally compete, but it will be important to send a very clear message...that we want to build a strong, durable partnership with China," he added.

The 2012 annual gathering in Phnom Penh comes two years after fireworks erupted between the United States and China at the Hanoi gathering of the 27-member ASEAN Regional Forum.

In 2010, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton voiced U.S. support for ASEAN's efforts at finding a multilateral solution to disputes over conflicting claims in the South China Sea that pit several Southeast Asian states against China.

Clinton's overtures drew a positive response from several Southeast Asian countries, prompting comments against "small countries" by Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi.

China's strident assertion of its territorial claims, underscored by a series of incidents between Chinese vessels and those of Vietnam and the Philippines, drove those countries to seek closer security ties with the United States.

Campbell did not give details on the new U.S.-China initiatives, calling them products of a multi-year effort by Washington and Beijing that he suggested would help quell Southeast Asian countries' fears that they may get caught between any struggle for power and influence in the region.

Campbell noted that the ASEAN states and China were working on a "Code of Conduct" for the South China Sea to ratchet down tensions over the disputed waters. The United States is not a party to the dispute or the code of conduct talks.

The United States will also discuss its plans to ease economic sanctions on Myanmar in response to recent political reforms in that long-isolated member of ASEAN, Campbell said.

(Reporting by Lauren French; Editing by Andrew Hay)

Both US and China need to be engaged to develop and integrate this ASEAN region. Regional institutions like ASEAN+3, ARF etc. should be used to resolve conflicts, instead of unilateral action and use of force. Myanmar should be taken out of isolation with positive engagement, with the hope that they will solve their ethnic minority related issues.

Vietnam and the Philippines stand alone against China

It looks like the U.S. doesn't have the stomach for a long-term stare-down with China over 2,000-year-old Chinese islands in the South China Sea.

1. U.S. seeks cooperation with China at the upcoming 2012 ASEAN meeting (see quote below). This message is very different from the tone of the U.S. position at the 2010 ASEAN meeting.

Kurt Campbell, assistant secretary of state for East Asian and Pacific Affairs, said the United States and China would unveil new cooperative initiatives at the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Regional Forum in Cambodia.

The two powers will announce plans to work together on humanitarian disaster relief and wildlife protection -- uncontroversial projects that reflect "our strong determination that we want to work with China," Campbell told the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a Washington think tank.

2. The "U.S. is not a party to the dispute" between China and Vietnam or the Philippines.
Campbell noted that the ASEAN states and China were working on a "Code of Conduct" for the South China Sea to ratchet down tensions over the disputed waters. The United States is not a party to the dispute or the code of conduct talks.

3. I was correct in pointing out in my earlier posts that the U.S. has no strategic interests (e.g. like defending Israel) in the South China Sea. The U.S. cares about Judeo-Christian interests like Jews. The U.S. does not care about communist Vietnamese or arrogant Filipinos that kicked the U.S. out of Subic Bay.

Also, I was correct in saying that American corporate interests in China far outweigh any negligible interests in Vietnam or the Philippines. I did say the U.S. would cast Vietnam and the Philippines aside as soon as they lost interest (like in Georgia).

Already, you can hear the U.S. interest in a Chinese "reset" and seeking cooperation with China. The U.S. economy is weak with millions out of work and the Pentagon budget is shrinking dramatically right after the presidential inauguration.

The U.S. lacks the strength or will to confront China on behalf of communist Vietnamese or uppity Filipinos.

It looks like the U.S. doesn't have the stomach for a long-term stare-down with China over 2,000-year-old Chinese islands in the South China Sea.

1. U.S. seeks cooperation with China at the upcoming 2012 ASEAN meeting. This message is very different from the tone of the U.S. position at the 2010 ASEAN meeting.

2. The "U.S. is not a party to the dispute" between China and Vietnam or the Philippines.

3. I was correct in pointing out in my posts that the U.S. has no strategic interests (e.g. like defending Israel) in the South China Sea.

To defend our sovereignty with force seems to be inevitable.

However, the question should be the 2012 China to crush Vietnam & Philippines or the 2020 one, but it seems that CPC leaders have favored the later one because the 2020 China will be practically invulnerable with a GDP larger than USA and the military technology on par with USA. :coffee:

I have said all along that a Sino-American military confrontation was extremely unlikely. The two countries have co-existed peacefully for the past forty years without any military friction.

Only delusional Vietnamese and Filipino nationalists believe the U.S. Navy is at their disposal in trivial territorial disputes over 2,000-year-old Chinese islands. A fundamental rule of geopolitics is the tail does not wag the dog. The U.S. determines its strategic interests, not some puny president in Georgia, Vietnam, or the Philippines.

I said many times that the U.S. would seek a "reset" with China. Read the article below and see if you agree.

----------

Clinton: 'Pivot to Asia' about promoting democracy, not countering China - The Hill's Global Affairs

"Clinton: 'Pivot to Asia' about promoting democracy, not countering China
By Julian Pecquet - 07/09/12 02:12 PM ET

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is on a whirlwind tour of Asia this week, hoping to convince allies that the administration's much-touted “pivot to Asia” is about promoting human rights and democracy, rather than curtailing China's rise.

Clinton acknowledged that U.S. military outreach to regional partners worried about Chinese ambitions has dominated the headlines since the administration announced the new strategy last fall.

The realignment, however, has three main dimensions — security, economic and “common values” — she said in a speech Monday, the last of which is at the “heart” of U.S. policy vis-a-vis Asia.

“I have to say that in many ways, the heart of our strategy, the piece that binds all the rest of it together, is our support for democracy and human rights,” Clinton said during a visit to Mongolia. “Those are not only my nation’s most cherished values; they are the birthright of every person born in the world.”

Clinton's visit to the continent — she attended an Afghan donors' conference in Japan over the weekend and next travels to Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia for the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Regional Forum – follows Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta's own highly scrutinized Asia trip last month.

Panetta met with other Asian defense chiefs in Singapore to discuss tensions in the South China Sea and other hotspots where China is asserting its power, following earlier announcements that the United States is boosting its military presence in Australia, the Philippines and other areas.

In her speech, Clinton praised Mongolia, which has been viewed as a shining democratic example in the region since it got rid of communism in its democratic revolution of 1990 and this year is hosting the Community of Democracies, a global intergovernmental coalition of democratic countries. She went on to highlight recent elections in Taiwan, the Philippines and Timor-Leste and the democratic progress in Thailand and Burma to take a dig at China, without mentioning the country by name.

“These and other achievements across the region show what is possible,” she said. “And they stand in stark contrast to those governments that continue to resist reforms, that work around the clock to restrict people’s access to ideas and information, to imprison them for expressing their views, to usurp the rights of citizens to choose their leaders, to govern without accountability, to corrupt the economic progress of the country and take the riches onto themselves.”

Despite the dig, the State Department says it sees China as a partner and rival, but not an enemy. To underscore that point, Clinton is set to have a “very substantial session” with Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi on the margins of the ASEAN summit.

“One of the things that we are seeking to underscore during this visit is ... a strong determination to show the region that the United States and China are committed to work closely together,” a senior State Department official told reporters traveling to Mongolia.

'There will be inevitable competition, but we want to channel that competition into areas that are productive. And we want to make very clear that the two countries are prepared to work in a constructive manner here in the 21st century.'”

But the US offered to build coastal radars for the Philippines, gave a frigate to the Philippines, offered surveillance flights using P3's to patrol the South China Seas, offered training and intelligence sharing to the Filipinos. So I suppose US actions are stronger than words.

But the US offered to build coastal radars for the Philippines, gave a frigate to the Philippines, offered surveillance flights using P3's to patrol the South China Seas, offered training and intelligence sharing to the Filipinos. So I suppose US actions are stronger than words.

The 3,200 ton World War II Hamilton coast guard cutter is not a frigate. It's an useless 50-year-old rusty coast guard cutter.

The U.S. has not offered any P3 surveillance flights. The Filipinos said they may request the U.S. for surveillance flights. They haven't decided. We don't know if the U.S. would agree to the Filipino request.

The possibility of installing coastal radars is just talk. Do you have a reputable citation to back up your claim (e.g. how many, types of radars, range, and cost - including who pays for it)?

We will believe that US wants to truly back up Phillipines if she can provide them the F-22 raptor and the pilot training for free.

However, the Filipino air force only with the F-22 raptor without anything else is still nothing to us. :coffee:

As I said many times, today the American comes to the region not to cause war, she would like to see a regional stability and cooperation, and she wants to prevent war.
The East Sea (SCS) is a route very important for the world in general and the US in particular.
Why we fear the presence of her?

1. U.S. seeks cooperation with China at the upcoming 2012 ASEAN meeting (see quote below). This message is very different from the tone of the U.S. position at the 2010 ASEAN meeting.

3. I was correct in pointing out in my earlier posts that the U.S. has no strategic interests (e.g. like defending Israel) in the South China Sea. The U.S. cares about Judeo-Christian interests like Jews. The U.S. does not care about communist Vietnamese or arrogant Filipinos that kicked the U.S. out of Subic Bay.

Also, I was correct in saying that American corporate interests in China far outweigh any negligible interests in Vietnam or the Philippines. I did say the U.S. would cast Vietnam and the Philippines aside as soon as they lost interest (like in Georgia).

Already, you can hear the U.S. interest in a Chinese "reset" and seeking cooperation with China. The U.S. economy is weak with millions out of work and the Pentagon budget is shrinking dramatically right after the presidential inauguration.

The U.S. lacks the strength or will to confront China on behalf of communist Vietnamese or uppity Filipinos.

This should be wake up call for future ASEAN+ participant nations that the US is not going to be their savior in the end, we must team up and create our own team for protection from regional threats. Only when Japanese nationalists and Uri party in Korea get on board, and start asserting their ASEAN cooperation independent of US strategic considerations, will the scenario change on the ground, till then ASEAN or East Asian countries like South Korea and Japan remain vulnerable.

This should be wake up call for future ASEAN+ participant nations that the US is not going to be their savior in the end, we must team up and create our own team for protection from regional threats. Only when Japanese nationalists and Uri party in Korea get on board, and start asserting their ASEAN cooperation independent of US strategic considerations, will the scenario change on the ground, till then ASEAN or East Asian countries like South Korea and Japan remain vulnerable.

You can forget about the racist Japanese. Historically, they have always considered themselves part of the West. The Japanese have only started claiming to be Asians after China trumpeted Asian interests. Until China interacted with ASEAN, the Japanese had no interest in doing so.

Also, no one trusts the Japanese. They have the distinction of rampaging through Asia and killing millions of Asians in many countries. Furthermore, the Japanese have steadfastly refused to apologize over decades for their atrocities.

Having the Japanese as part of your Asian military alliance is suicidal. The Japanese will take your own defense plan and exploit its weaknesses to conquer you. Those right wing Japanese nationalists haven't changed one bit since World War II. They only kowtow to the U.S. and no one else.

If you think the Japanese and South Koreans will get involved in the SCS versus China then think again. South Korea has a major threat next door and that's coming from the North. They won't risk a war with China just to protect Vietnam and Philippines because the North can then easily annex them. Japan certainly don't want to get involved in SCS either unless they want to experience Nagasaki / Hiroshima again for what they had done for invading China. So yeah it's pretty much Vietnam - Philippines versus China. It's very simple either solve it with China or our countries will have to draw our weapons. Just don't expect South Korea , Japan or USA's help. Since these Vietnamese trolls talk big about how strong they are then lets have a war and see how strong they are.

LOL, the Chinese under Chiang Kai-shek regime only began present in one island in the Spratlys in 1946, after Japan vacated because it surrendered to the Allies.
Remember that Japan invaded both the Paracels and the Spratlys from Vietnam (at that time VN was a French colony) in 1939, not from China.
Communist china just started presence in the Paracels after it used force to rob from Vietnam in 1974 and some coral reefs in the Spratly Islands in 1988.
11 dotted line of China's claims was painted only in 1948 under the regime of Chiang Kai-shek, the chinese communist later edited into 9 dotted line.
So what you based on to say "2000 years"? lol on chinese.

P/S: In the past, we did not rely on anyone but we defeated china many times.

You can forget about the racist Japanese. Historically, they have always considered themselves part of the West. The Japanese have only started claiming to be Asians after China trumpeted Asian interests. Until China interacted with ASEAN, the Japanese had no interest in doing so.

Also, no one trusts the Japanese. They have the distinction of rampaging through Asia and killing millions of Asians in many countries. Furthermore, the Japanese have steadfastly refused to apologize over decades for their atrocities.

Having the Japanese as part of your Asian military alliance is suicidal. The Japanese will take your own defense plan and exploit its weaknesses to conquer you. Those right wing Japanese nationalists haven't changed one bit since World War II. They only kowtow to the U.S. and no one else.

Yes, its true they consider themselves lord of the Asians.

I think Japan is quietly watching the developing situation, its hard to tell what the Samurai is thinking unless they make a move. The issue of the past is more important for Chinese, and Koreans to a lesser extent, but not ASEAN states as much.
images

I have a bit of access to Korean thinking, so I know they have inclinations in this direction, so my guess is that it will be Koreans first that will get more involved and Japan will follow, not wanting to miss the boat. Philippines just bought some KAI FA-50, Indonesia also bought some KAI TA-50's. Military hardware joint development has already started, Indonesia has invested 20% in KAI KF-X fighter program:
KAI KF-X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Japan cannot do much in this area of military hardware export yet because of pacifist constitution.

If someone want to become a part of the union, and if they have ability to lead, I would gladly let them be the lord. But today's Japan is much more refined than old Imperial Japan, they believe in democracy, human rights and nice stuff like that, so it is hard to see how they can become a menace at this day and age. And Japan and South Korea both already have excellent relations with all ASEAN states and China.

I know this scenario is a bit of a stretch, its hard to tell what will happen in the future, if there is recognition of mutual need between these states then it will happen, if not, it may not happen.

If you think the Japanese and South Koreans will get involved in the SCS versus China then think again. South Korea has a major threat next door and that's coming from the North. They won't risk a war with China just to protect Vietnam and Philippines because the North can then easily annex them. Japan certainly don't want to get involved in SCS either unless they want to experience Nagasaki / Hiroshima again for what they had done for invading China. So yeah it's pretty much Vietnam - Philippines versus China. It's very simple either solve it with China or our countries will have to draw our weapons. Just don't expect South Korea , Japan or USA's help. Since these Vietnamese trolls talk big about how strong they are then lets have a war and see how strong they are.

I think we are not discussing Japan and South Korea getting involved now, its a developing situation for decades in the future, definitely not for current SCS situation.

Chinese aggressive activities in sea of south East Asian let US turn back to region. They will do the same steps what china did, step by step.
Chinese boys are nervous, he he, they are jumping up and down, :smokin:.

Back
Top Bottom