What's new

U.S. Forces - Afghanistan not providing excess equipment to Pakistan

Neptune

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
THIS IS THE OFFICIAL RELEASE FROM NATO-ISAF WEBSITE!

KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (March 27, 2014) — United States Forces-Afghanistan has seen the inaccurate media reports stating that excess military equipment that is part of the U.S. transition is given to Pakistan. These reports are not correct. USFOR-A does not provide or intend to provide any such equipment, including MRAPs, from Afghanistan to Pakistan.

“Our commitment to the Afghan people and the Afghan National Security Forces is unwavering,” said Gen. Joseph F. Dunford Jr., Commander of the International Security Assistance Force.

The ANSF achievements for Afghanistan this past year are enormous; their brave and heroic actions demonstrate their dedication to a secure, stable and unified Afghanistan. USFOR-A also remains committed to completing the transformation of the ANSF into a professional fighting force capable of meeting their security challenges.

Since 2002, the ANSF has grown from less than one kandak of troops to nearly 352,000 skilled and professional soldiers and police, with 26,000 Afghan local police, capable of taking the lead for security in Afghanistan. The Afghan Air Force flies medical evacuation, close air support and logistics missions. A robust special operations force with a special mission air wing conducts security operations to eliminate leaders of the insurgency. These defense forces together create effective layers of security around population centers and critical infrastructure throughout the country, and every day the ASNF are defeating the insurgents.

Over the past 12 years the ANSF was built into a formidable security force, receiving more than $53 billion in equipment and support, 160 aircraft, 100,000 vehicles including 600 new Mobile Strike Force Vehicles, 500,000 weapons and 200,000 pieces of communications and night-vision equipment, with more still being delivered. USFOR-A will continue to assist and advise ANSF on developing the most effective force consistent with their rapidly emerging and demonstrated capabilities.

“Over the last nine months, the ANSF have proved that they are ready to secure the April 5 presidential and provincial council elections” said Dunford. “What I find most encouraging is the sense of pride, responsibility, and accountability that the Afghan security forces continue to demonstrate each day. I am confident that they can provide a safe environment for Afghans to vote in what will be a historic election for the nation.”

U.S. Forces - Afghanistan not providing excess equipment to Pakistan | ISAF - International Security Assistance Force

Last edited:
Actually, they are, just not directly. They don't want Afghans to keep whining about this being "unfair" to them...

Pakistan to get leftover Afghan war equipment: Defence Secretary - DAWN.COM (2014-03-31)

‘Pak can get additional US defence equipment from Afghanistan’ | PAKISTAN - geo.tv (March 31, 2014)

The only ones legible to get this equipment under the US program just happen to be Pakistan and Afghanistan. Since Afghanistan is not even worth considering, Pakistan is going to get the equipment regardless.

lol, so much for an Afghan political victory.

Actually, they are, just not directly. They don't want Afghans to keep whining about this being "unfair" to them...

The only ones legible to get this equipment under the US program just happen to be Pakistan and Afghanistan. Since Afghanistan is not even worth considering, Pakistan is going to get the equipment regardless.

Considering it comes from US Government, don't count on promises. They already let Pakistan down on recent past, so it may happen again.
It is better to wait and see if comes through!

The only ones legible to get this equipment under the US program just happen to be Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Incorrect. A lot more countries and entities are eligible for the equipment according to the rules of the EDA Program.

Problems: Spares. Stocking. Storage. Maintenance. Training. Repairs. Reserves. Reliability (Being used stuff). Etc. It's not just getting some fancy equipment. There's a lot that needs to be considered.

Problems: Spares. Stocking. Storage. Maintenance. Training. Repairs. Reserves. Reliability (Being used stuff). Etc. It's not just getting some fancy equipment. There's a lot that needs to be considered.
I never said I agreed with the decision, I'm just saying that Pakistan will get it. I've been saying since the beginning that without a maintenance facility, the systems are useless.

Incorrect. A lot more countries and entities are eligible for the equipment according to the rules of the EDA Program.
When I mean eligible, I meant realistic customer. No other nation will get these vehicles, because it's too expensive to transport and maintain. Pakistan is in need for such systems, and is the only realisitc option for the US.

Considering it comes from US Government, don't count on promises. They already let Pakistan down on recent past, so it may happen again.
It is better to wait and see if comes through!
This isn't really a promise or anything, the US has no other choice. Either they junk these vehicles, which will cost tens of thousands of dollars, or they'll give them away to allied nations as is, in order to save money.

When I mean eligible, I meant realistic customer. No other nation will get these vehicles, because it's too expensive to transport and maintain. Pakistan is in need for such systems, and is the only realisitc option for the US.

Ah, eligible means something very different than realistic, but thank you for that explanation.

Pakistan will get as much as it wants (it may not want anything due to various reasons)

The USA has a simple problem, it has billions worth of equipment stuck in Afghanistan BUT it will costs many more billions to either dismantle or ship back the equipment to the USA so the USA needs to get rid of it

Leaving it to rot is a poor choice, so their best option is to give it allies under various deals where the host nation picks up some of the slack in getting the weapons to their country, the USA then has some positives where the host nation will negotiate deals for spares, support etc thus the USA gets to make atleast some money and get alot of diplomatic brownie points for handing out free equipment

1- There is an immense amount of equipment not a few hundred but thousands of different things, Pakistan could have its fill and their would still likely be billions more of equipment for afghanistan, or anyone else to take

2-This equipment isnt junk, whilst some of it will be at the end of its life alot will be very use able and usefull

3-Afghanistans problem is simple, it dosent have the money, expertise or industry to service and keep MRAPS or anything else on the road, so someone will have to give Afghanistan alot of aid to keep these things running, all the afghans are seeing is big shiney MRAPS and other equipment and thinking why should anyone else take it (especially Pakistan)

4-Pakistan being right next door is in prime position to obtain equipment because it would be easy to ship to Pakistan, and we have the ability to service and keep the various equipment use able

5-Most of the equipment isnt some advanced missile shield so spares shouldnt be an issue, our only issue would be cost of running

6-Ignore indians as their asses burn when we get anything , let alone get it free

Who else then Pakistan ANF is not capable enough to safe it from Taliban and put the maintaining it in side.... So Pakistan will be better choice and india should have no problem because MRAP is no dangerous for them it is for Taliban......

Most of the equipment isnt some advanced missile shield so spares shouldnt be an issue, our only issue would be cost of running
Spares not an issue? There are more than 50,000 parts in an MRAP! So how are spares not an issue? Even a car won't start if one spark plug costing $10 is malfunctioning, grounding the entire system.

Ignore indians as their asses burn when we get anything , let alone get it free
Nope! Our asses don't burn at all. We just feel pity on you instead as the Americans are again going to take you for a jolly good ride by dumping worn out stuff that's nearing the end of their life cycle on you for a fortune! Seems you guys will never learn!

I never said I agreed with the decision, I'm just saying that Pakistan will get it. I've been saying since the beginning that without a maintenance facility, the systems are useless.

This isn't really a promise or anything, the US has no other choice. Either they junk these vehicles, which will cost tens of thousands of dollars, or they'll give them away to allied nations as is, in order to save money.

I see your point of view. Just one thought... If US Military would be worrying about saving money, the AMARG would never exist.

Last edited:
Yawn....

Pakistan is definitely getting hardware. Anyone who says otherwise is either ignorant, or is lying.

I see your point of view. Just one thought... If US Military would be worrying about saving money, the AMARG would never exist.

Considering today's political climate in the US, they are worried about saving money. There have already been cuts in the US gov and pentagon fiscal budgets.

THIS IS THE OFFICIAL RELEASE FROM NATO-ISAF WEBSITE!

KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (March 27, 2014) — United States Forces-Afghanistan has seen the inaccurate media reports stating that excess military equipment that is part of the U.S. transition is given to Pakistan. These reports are not correct. USFOR-A does not provide or intend to provide any such equipment, including MRAPs, from Afghanistan to Pakistan.

“Our commitment to the Afghan people and the Afghan National Security Forces is unwavering,” said Gen. Joseph F. Dunford Jr., Commander of the International Security Assistance Force.

The ANSF achievements for Afghanistan this past year are enormous; their brave and heroic actions demonstrate their dedication to a secure, stable and unified Afghanistan. USFOR-A also remains committed to completing the transformation of the ANSF into a professional fighting force capable of meeting their security challenges.

Since 2002, the ANSF has grown from less than one kandak of troops to nearly 352,000 skilled and professional soldiers and police, with 26,000 Afghan local police, capable of taking the lead for security in Afghanistan. The Afghan Air Force flies medical evacuation, close air support and logistics missions. A robust special operations force with a special mission air wing conducts security operations to eliminate leaders of the insurgency. These defense forces together create effective layers of security around population centers and critical infrastructure throughout the country, and every day the ASNF are defeating the insurgents.

Over the past 12 years the ANSF was built into a formidable security force, receiving more than $53 billion in equipment and support, 160 aircraft, 100,000 vehicles including 600 new Mobile Strike Force Vehicles, 500,000 weapons and 200,000 pieces of communications and night-vision equipment, with more still being delivered. USFOR-A will continue to assist and advise ANSF on developing the most effective force consistent with their rapidly emerging and demonstrated capabilities.

“Over the last nine months, the ANSF have proved that they are ready to secure the April 5 presidential and provincial council elections” said Dunford. “What I find most encouraging is the sense of pride, responsibility, and accountability that the Afghan security forces continue to demonstrate each day. I am confident that they can provide a safe environment for Afghans to vote in what will be a historic election for the nation.”

U.S. Forces - Afghanistan not providing excess equipment to Pakistan | ISAF - International Security Assistance Force

I am sure PA will be and might be receiving the 13000 MRAPs also PA should try to convince US to buy 15000 Humvees from KSA.

More over, advice would be to buy Jordan, Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain, UAE, Oman and Yemen's Humvees and give them to Afghan Forces as KSA, UAE and Jordan have their own vehicle which they be selling to their brother Muslim nations to replace Humvees being sold through US to Pakistan and Afghanistan...

Back
Top Bottom