What's new

U.S. Army to Scrap $7 Billion in Equipment in Afghanistan

Tell me if i am wrong..But dont you think MRAP would be much better than a tank in the terrain you are fighting in.(and PA has used tanks)

Tanks? some were used in Swat... but not anywhere else... and yes we are operating Buffalo-casspir MRAPs ... although in limited... but we have already ordered from China.. and testing our own aswell...

I think it would be better to transport troops in MRAP rather than your Range rovers or trucks.Moreoever it can have weapon stations fitted too.Better than deploying tanks..if i am not mistaken your tanks have been destroyed by taliban,right?

The tanks werent used as MRAP... but to provide more firepower against fortified positions... and only 1 was destroyed...but its crew survived and tht too after hitting IEDs,suicide bombing attacks and several RPG hits....

I think it would be better to transport troops in MRAP rather than your Range rovers or trucks.Moreoever it can have weapon stations fitted too.Better than deploying tanks..if i am not mistaken your tanks have been destroyed by taliban,right?

Tanks and tracked vehicles have a hard time in those areas. I have heard of a few APC's getting ambushed, not sure about a tank. If you have details of a tank being destroyed please put that up. Nothing in the US Land inventory has ever been taken to a forested area with low visibility. We need drones and thermal equipment to continue with low casualties. MRAP's are not the answer to troop deployment in those areas, they could be used to reinforce troops to forward operating bases but that's also debatable as their location is also pretty strenuous on smaller vehicles let alone the larger ones.

Tanks and tracked vehicles have a hard time in those areas. I have heard of a few APC's getting ambushed, not sure about a tank. If you have details of a tank being destroyed please put that up. Nothing in the US Land inventory has ever been taken to a forested area with low visibility. We need drones and thermal equipment to continue with low casualties. MRAP's are not the answer to troop deployment in those areas, they could be used to reinforce troops to forward operating bases but that's also debatable as their location is also pretty strenuous on smaller vehicles let alone the larger ones.

Sir G..I think its better to transport troops in a MRAP rather than a open roof vehicle as it not only provides protection against mines but is also bullet proof.Plus you can fit various weapon systems for the firepower too.

Here the video you asked for..I think its a Al Khalid(i am not too good with Pakistani tanks)

[video]http://www.********.com/view?i=77f_1241817459[/video]

Sir G..I think its better to transport troops in a MRAP rather than a open roof vehicle as it not only provides protection against mines but is also bullet proof.Plus you can fit various weapon systems for the firepower too.

Reason: short on cash... but its changing... buffalo and casspir MRAPs were bought by the army (limited number)... Burraq MRAP is under testing... while Chinese VP3 MRAP MRAPs have been ordered!
Here the video you asked for..I think its a Al Khalid(i am not too good with Pakistani tanks)

Its not an AK.. (which were never used in WOT).....Its AZ... and it was shown in a tv report.... and here is how it was destroyed:
How Al-Zarrar MBT was destroyed

Prime Minister Syed Yusuf Raza Gilani announced summoning of the Pakistan army to crush militancy and terrorism in Swat and Malakand with an iron hand and vowed to establish the writ of the government at all costs. Addressing the nation on radio and television Prime Minister Gilani said time had come to take serious action against the militants who had disrupted peace and tranquility in parts of NWFP. "Army is being called in for upholding the sanctity and national integrity, for elimination of militants and to ensure security of the people," Prime Minister Gilani said.

Since then Pakistan army has been using its Al-Zarrar MBT for precision day night attack capability and recently we have been able to watch the video in which an Al-Zarrar tank was shown destroyed. Many claims have been made about the destruction of these tanks and how this will affect the moral of Pakistani army in Swat and FATA. But what was unknown until now was the fact how this tank was destroyed? It was part of small force at the front to make first contact with the militants along with force of around 35 personals of Pakistani army. It was ambushed from three sides of the mountainous road and has to face at least six suicide attack attempts within span of 15 minutes along with attacks through improvised explosive devices that were buried in their way. Crew of the destroyed Al-Zarrar MBT survived without injuries and tank was recovered as neither turret of chassis of Al-Zarrar MBT was penetrated which also proved the recent upgrade was successful. Survival of the crew form the destroyed Al-Zarrar MBT is also going to be a major moral booster for the crew as they will have more confidence in the crew protection capability of the tank. According to the soldiers participating in this furious battle fought in first week of this recent attempt by the Pakistan army to clear out the areas from Taliban militants, they were attacked from three sides by different militant groups that have divided themselves into smaller groups of four to five. First attack was through improvise explosive devices which resulted in destruction of the tanks and afterwards Taliban started firing at them, they say that it was very difficult for them to access the direction of the fire and strength of the enemy. Soldiers involved in this fight say that it took us some time to estimate their positions and after that we started counter attack by sending our troops to surround them. Taliban felt the heat and started second part of the attack to scatter and destroy the advance party of Pakistan army, they launched one of their front end weapon against this small advance party; suicide bombers. Because of the magnitude of this attack, one can easily describe it as the largest suicide attack in Pakistan if not the largest in the world, mounted against a small force in shuch a limited time. This attack involved at least six different vehicles and three motor bikes filled with explosives and driven by suicide bombers within short span of time of only fifteen minutes. Pakistani soldiers first gave them warnings to stop as they thought these were civilian vehicles, but later on they recognized the threat in time and started firing at them, most of these vehicles were destroyed but due to high speed these did at front line vehicles of this small military force. According to the commanding officer of this advance force, they were very fortunate that none of their troop involved in this operation was killed and all thirty five of them were able to survive this attack.

If the Americans are actually confident in the ANA, as the Americans claim, then why not give this to the Afghans?

Either they're stupid, or they don't trust the ANA. Either way, it doesn't look good.

Anyways, before anyone asks, they're probably not selling this equipment either because it's highly sensitive, or because no one wants it.

Taliban nowadays are seen using humvees stolen from afghan and Nato forces so take the hint.
@Topic
Even after a decade they gained nothing. It is vietnam and iraq all over again. They came, they destroyed and the left empty handed.

Last edited by a moderator:

So how to get troops where MRAP's cannot go? We have APC's and MRAP's and the ones we have are useless in that terrain. Why should we get more vehicles that will end up in our scrapyard. The US needs the Teen dabba money to show that they got something in return.

970284_10151560511474130_2122939951_n.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

no need more

it is not about confident, it is their economy to maintain these equipment. afghan has very weak economy. if americans give these equipments to afghanistan then US have to give extra money to support this.

But the Afghans are already getting enough money to maintain most of that equipment anyway. About 90% of the military budget for the ANA is foreign funded, what's a bit more?

apparently,ANA has enough amount of Armoured Vehicles as well as MaXXPro MRAPs/Trucks(as reports suggests,over 10000 was ordered in which around 7000 will be for ANA).and how could they maintain 11000 "excess MRAPs" when they is in dire need of other weapons and short of cash??

read above.

EXACTLY! Similar question wrt Pakistan- if Pakistan truly is seen as a partner in this WoT, why is the US deliberately destroying equipment that would be invaluable to Pakistani forces engaged in their own CT ops?

Because China. If that doesn't explain everything, I don't know what will.

Taliban nowadays are seen using humvees stolen from afghan and Nato forces so take the hint.
@Topic
Even after a decade they gained nothing. It is vietnam and iraq all over again. They came, they destroyed and the left empty handed.

That's actually my point entirely, the Americans don't trust the ANA to safeguard the equipment, and keep it from falling into the wrong hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
But the Afghans are already getting enough money to maintain most of that equipment anyway. About 90% of the military budget for the ANA is foreign funded, what's a bit more?

read above.

did you read my posts???whats the use of over 11000 MRAPs will be when they already have/will have over 7000s(total Truck & MRAPs) of them??Military h/w isn't toys.they need significant amount of maintenance.and why USA will provide them these "Useless" MRAPs when they know it'll cost them again just to keep these excess hardware??thats called planning.and its a normal procedure for expeditionary forces,destroying "useless" h/w.

Because China. If that doesn't explain everything, I don't know what will.

That explains the SEALS blowing up the stealth helo after the OBL raid. It doesn't explain why the US won't gift a few MRAPs, rifles, morters etc to Pakistan- these will be of no interest to China.

did you read my posts???whats the use of over 11000 MRAPs will be when they already have/will have over 7000s(total Truck & MRAPs) of them??Military h/w isn't toys.they need significant amount of maintenance.and why USA will provide them these "Useless" MRAPs when they know it'll cost them again just to keep these excess hardware??thats called planning.and its a normal procedure for expeditionary forces,destroying "useless" h/w.

You realize that a chunk of the equipment may actually not be MRAPs, they could simply be other types of logistical equipment too, we simply haven't been told.

That explains the SEALS blowing up the stealth helo after the OBL raid. It doesn't explain why the US won't gift a few MRAPs, rifles, morters etc to Pakistan- these will be of no interest to China.

Damn it, for some reason my computer decided to be an *** and not post my reply.

so what about the report! US is going to give its used equipments to pakistan? aren't we gettin anything :(???

You realize that most of the equipment may actually not be MRAPs, they could simply be other types of logistical equipment.

yup..might be..like jeeps,trucks,armored vehicles etc etc.but even then,military only keeps what it is going to use.no usage of excess h/w.most of the country actually sells these kind of equipment in open market/scrap market.USA is doing the same.not everything is worth of keeping.but if these are small weapons,your logic is justified.but keeping a huge amount of trucks just to create another "Graveyard" has no merit in it.actually,they're going to give some of the excess weapons to ANA,while destroy other.as you know,the situation is delicate.they can't just arm them to the teeth,which Pakistan will oppose.neither they can left them unprotected that Taliban can lay hands.then whole world will blame USA for arming Taliban.

Back
Top Bottom