What's new

U.S. Army charges 8 over death of Chinese-American soldier

ChineseTiger1986

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
WASHINGTON, Dec. 21 (Xinhua) -- Eight U.S. soldiers deployed to southern Afghanistan were charged on Wednesday in connection with the death of a fellow Chinese-American soldier in October, the American Forces Press Service reported.

Danny Chen, a 19-year-old infantryman assigned to Company C, 3rd Battalion of 25th Infantry Division, died on Oct. 3. His body was found in a guard tower in southern Afghanistan with "an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound" in his head, the report said.

The U.S. Army has charged eight of Chen's fellow soldiers in connection with his death: 1st Lt. Daniel J. Schwartz, Staff Sgt. Blaine G. Dugas, Staff Sgt. Andrew J. Van Bockel, Sgt. Adam M. Holcomb, Sgt. Jeffrey T. Hurst, Spc. Thomas P. Curtis, Spc. Ryan J. Offutt, and Sgt. Travis F. Carden.

All of the accused are assigned to Company C, and posted to Combat Outpost Palace in southern Afghanistan, U.S. military officials were quoted as saying. The charges include dereliction of duty, maltreatment, involuntary manslaughter, assault consummated by battery, and reckless endangerment.

No further information was disclosed by the report about the real causes of Chen's death, or if it was a suicide.

The death of Chen, from Chinatown of New York, shocked local Asian-Chinese communities, which urged the U.S. military to launch a thorough investigation into the incident.

U.S. military official revealed to Chen's family that he had been subjected to physical abuse and ethnic slurs by his superiors, who dragged him out of bed one night and across the floor when he failed to turn off a water heater after showering, according to a report published by the New York Times in October.

This is the second such incident in the past year after the suicide of another Chinese-American soldier Harry Lew, a Marine from California, who killed himself in April in Afghanistan. Investigators found that Lew was subjected to a brutal hazing by his fellow Marines, who were ordered court-martialed in October.

Related:

U.S. not completed mission but making progress in Afghanistan: defense chief

KABUL, Dec. 14 (Xinhua) -- The United States has not won and completed the mission in Afghanistan, said U.S. Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta in a joint press conference with Afghan President Hamid Karzai held in Afghanistan's capital city Kabul on Wednesday.

"There is no doubt that over the last two years Afghan and international forces have been able to seize the momentum from the Taliban militancy and establish security in critical areas, such as the Taliban's heartland in the south. 2011, I think is representative of a very important turning point in the war," Panetta said. Full Story

U.S. military chief dodges question on possible pause in Afghan withdrawal

WASHINGTON, Dec. 9 (Xinhua) -- Martin Dempsey, chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, on Friday dodged on a question about whether the U.S. military is considering a pause before withdrawing more forces from Afghanistan.

During an appearance at the Atlantic Council in Washington D.C., Dempsey said officials here and at U.S. Central Command are studying possible steps to take after the surge ends.

U.S. Army charges 8 over death of Chinese-American soldier - Xinhua | English.news.cn

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

I don't think this is surprising at all, since you are born with a Chinese face, then those white Anglo-Saxons will never treat you as their own kind. :coffee:

If wanna be soldier, then better served as a PLA soldier for your motherland. :china:

i remember this incident, many CN members went about calling names to gambit and others. I wonder if they have the testicular fortitude to admit they jumped the gun.

A Chinese can only become a Chinese soldier, otherwise you are just a zombie with uniform.

388348_999708.jpg

WASHINGTON, Dec. 21 (Xinhua) -- Eight U.S. soldiers deployed to southern Afghanistan were charged on Wednesday in connection with the death of a fellow Chinese-American soldier in October, the American Forces Press Service reported.

Danny Chen, a 19-year-old infantryman assigned to Company C, 3rd Battalion of 25th Infantry Division, died on Oct. 3. His body was found in a guard tower in southern Afghanistan with "an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound" in his head, the report said.

The U.S. Army has charged eight of Chen's fellow soldiers in connection with his death: 1st Lt. Daniel J. Schwartz, Staff Sgt. Blaine G. Dugas, Staff Sgt. Andrew J. Van Bockel, Sgt. Adam M. Holcomb, Sgt. Jeffrey T. Hurst, Spc. Thomas P. Curtis, Spc. Ryan J. Offutt, and Sgt. Travis F. Carden.

All of the accused are assigned to Company C, and posted to Combat Outpost Palace in southern Afghanistan, U.S. military officials were quoted as saying. The charges include dereliction of duty, maltreatment, involuntary manslaughter, assault consummated by battery, and reckless endangerment.

No further information was disclosed by the report about the real causes of Chen's death, or if it was a suicide.

The death of Chen, from Chinatown of New York, shocked local Asian-Chinese communities, which urged the U.S. military to launch a thorough investigation into the incident.

U.S. military official revealed to Chen's family that he had been subjected to physical abuse and ethnic slurs by his superiors, who dragged him out of bed one night and across the floor when he failed to turn off a water heater after showering, according to a report published by the New York Times in October.

This is the second such incident in the past year after the suicide of another Chinese-American soldier Harry Lew, a Marine from California, who killed himself in April in Afghanistan. Investigators found that Lew was subjected to a brutal hazing by his fellow Marines, who were ordered court-martialed in October.

Related:

U.S. not completed mission but making progress in Afghanistan: defense chief

KABUL, Dec. 14 (Xinhua) -- The United States has not won and completed the mission in Afghanistan, said U.S. Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta in a joint press conference with Afghan President Hamid Karzai held in Afghanistan's capital city Kabul on Wednesday.

"There is no doubt that over the last two years Afghan and international forces have been able to seize the momentum from the Taliban militancy and establish security in critical areas, such as the Taliban's heartland in the south. 2011, I think is representative of a very important turning point in the war," Panetta said. Full Story

U.S. military chief dodges question on possible pause in Afghan withdrawal

WASHINGTON, Dec. 9 (Xinhua) -- Martin Dempsey, chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, on Friday dodged on a question about whether the U.S. military is considering a pause before withdrawing more forces from Afghanistan.

During an appearance at the Atlantic Council in Washington D.C., Dempsey said officials here and at U.S. Central Command are studying possible steps to take after the surge ends.

U.S. Army charges 8 over death of Chinese-American soldier - Xinhua | English.news.cn

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

I don't think this is surprising at all, since you are born with a Chinese face, then those white Anglo-Saxons will never treat you as their own kind. :coffee:

If wanna be soldier, then better served as a PLA soldier for your motherland. :china:

The Fact is I believe Chinese Americans are going to suffer discrimination in USA due to China Rise It's best they come home.

The Fact is I believe Chinese Americans are going to suffer discrimination in USA due to China Rise It's best they come home.

Not just in America but in all Western-based nations but the next question is how bad will it get. The problem for the Chinese diaspora is the reintegration back into their ancestral homeland.

there are plenty of american born chinese who don't suffer from such myopic views

People who have the myopic view cannot become a PLA soldier.

These are the true soldiers, not some zombies with a Chinese face and an American uniform.

043A15F7.002C

i don't intend to convince you, just offered my opinion. you guys carry on

Not just in America but in all Western-based nations but the next question is how bad will it get. The problem for the Chinese diaspora is the reintegration back into their ancestral homeland.

I don't see it as bad as in the USA, Canada seems like a pretty tolerant country, I don't know about europe how many Chinese live in Europe ? Chinese diaspora is one of the most successful it will be good if they come back.

I don't see it as bad as in the USA, Canada seems like a pretty tolerant country, I don't know about europe how many Chinese live in Europe ? Chinese diaspora is one of the most successful it will be good if they come back.

Yep, especially i live in Quebec, which is a predominantly French speaking area, not a place full of Anglo supremacy like in USA.

And how will they reintegrate back into society if they cannot even speak the language?

Yep, especially i live in Quebec, which is a predominantly French speaking area, not a place full of Anglo supremacy like in USA.

Quebecers tend to be nice if you can (or attempt to) speak their language. Also, they can easily identify with visible minorities because of discrimination by anglophones.

A Chinese can only become a Chinese soldier, otherwise you are just a zombie with uniform.
Then what are you, who is a conscript reject? Worse yet, you live in Canada.

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

there are plenty of american born chinese who don't suffer from such myopic views
You mean racist views.

Then what are you, who is a conscript reject? Worse yet, you live in Canada.

Hey off-topic troll, i was talking about the soldier who should serve as the faithful defender of its own motherland.

Did i ever say that i am a soldier? :coffee:

Back
Top Bottom