Turkish Navy Embarks on Africa Tour

Hakan

RETIRED INTL MOD
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
The Turkish Navy's Africa Tour

tdgg.jpg

On 17 March 2014, the Barbaros Turkish Maritime Task Group will leave Turkish Naval Base in Gölcük to starts its circumnavigation of Africa.

The task force will contain the frigates F-495 TCGGediz, F-245 TCG Oruçreis, the corvette F-511 TCGHeybeliada and the replenishment tanker A-595 TCG Yarbay Kudret Güngör.

During the deployment, which is expected to take 102 days, Barbaros TMTG will navigate round the African continent from west to east and will make 40 port visits in 28 countries and conduct military exercises with their navies.

It will be the first crossing of Cape of Hope by Turkish ships after 148 years. The ships will travel for about 15,000 nautical miles approximately 30,000 km throughout their sail.

• Turkish defence companies Meteksan, Otokar, TAI, Dearsan, Havelsan, Roketsan, Aselsan, STM will show their products in following cities:
Thema, Ghana
Lagos, Nigeria
Luanda, Angola
Dar es Salaam Tanzania
Mombasa, Kenya

• Turkish Ministry of Health will conduct health checks and provide medical assistance in following cities:
Banjul Gambia
Dakar, Senegal,
Port of Sudan, Sudan

• Military music bands will perform concerts in following cities:
Las Palmas, Spain
Conakry, Guinea
Abidjan, Ivory Coast
Pointe-Noire, Congo
Cape Town, South Africa
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Mombasa, Kenya
Djibouti, Djibouti
Port of Sudan, Sudan

• Members of Multinational Maritime Security Centre of Excellence will conduct maritime security and boarding training in following cities:
Lagos, Nigeria
Pointe-Noire, Congo
Luanda, Angola
Simon’s Town, South Africa
Mombasa, Kenya​

• There will be theoretical training in all ports of call.
  • Various high-ranking Turkish officers will visit their counterparts in 17 different cities.
  • The two frigates and the corvette will conduct live missile firing exercise in Denel Overberg Test Range between 5 and 9 May 2014. There they will test their skills to the limits.
  • When the Barbaros TMTG reaches Gulf of Aden it will conduct anti piracy operations between 5 and 11 June 2014.
Turkey's Indigenous Stealth Corvette Will Take Part in the Tour

TCG_Heybeliada_(F-511)_-6.jpg

http://turkishnavy.net/
Turkish Navy sets off to pass through Cape of Good Hope after 148 years - CİHAN

@Neptune @xxxKULxxx

Last edited:
Previous tour was to Far East. Japan and South Korea if I'm not mistaken. Anyways. Good luck to squids. Navy's strong :tup: But I don't believe that it was the right time to deploy the task force to africa.

Previous tour was to Far East. Japan and South Korea if I'm not mistaken. Anyways. Good luck to squids. Navy's strong :tup: But I don't believe that it was the right time to deploy the task force to africa.
Right we probably should have delayed the tour untill the black sea cooled down a littl bit. Maybe they wanted to send a message to russia to show that we are not hostile but still if shtf then we would be weaker than usual.

Right we probably should have delayed the tour untill the black sea cooled down a littl bit. Maybe they wanted to send a message to russia to show that we are not hostile but still if shtf then we would be weaker than usual.
Or maybe to say we dont even need the whole Navy for you. :P

Welcome our turkish brothers to Africa. I can't believe though the turkish Navy is not visiting Mozambique the whole country was named after a Turkish Ruler (Moosa-Beyk), many other coastal cities in east africa were established by Ottoman turks.

Welcome our turkish brothers to Africa. I can't believe though the turkish Navy is not visiting Mozambique the whole country was named after a Turkish Ruler (Moosa-Beyk), many other coastal cities in east africa were established by Ottoman turks.
Thanks for the info.
didn't even know about that. I read that the ottomans were in mombasa kenya though.

Thanks for the info.
didn't even know about that. I read that the ottomans were in mombasa kenya though.

Yeah Not many people Know that, the ottomans had alot of influence in africa during the ottomans Era especially along the eastern coast of Africa.

Yeah Not many people Know that, the ottomans had alot of influence in africa during the ottomans Era especially along the eastern coast of Africa.
hi bro, since you're originally from Eritrea, could you tell us whether there is still Ottoman influence in Eritrea or not?

hi bro, since you're originally from Eritrea, could you tell us whether there is still Ottoman influence in Eritrea or not?

Yes there is alot of influence, for a start the second biggest city which is a port city massawa was used by the turks for many years for their monoply of their coffee trade. a large population of massawa today are of turk origin mainly ottoman soldiers who were stationed there who married locally (Eritrean, arabs etc) and remained there, many of the buildings are also of ottoman influence as well.

Yes there is alot of influence, for a start the second biggest city which is a port city massawa was used by the turks for many years for their monoply of their coffee trade. a large population of massawa today are of turk origin mainly ottoman soldiers who were stationed there who married locally (Eritrean, arabs etc) and remained there, many of the buildings are also of ottoman influence as well.
Didn't know this. Really interesting, thanks.

Didn't know this. Really interesting, thanks.

You are welcome.
I am from massawa and my mother ancestory is of turkish/arab ancestory. originally from Kaiser region in turkey i think from what my mother told me, apparently My uncle (Mother's brother) looked into it and they have found that the surname is still around with a sole son who has 4 daughters , he probarly thinks his surname will be lost because of no son but he doesn't know that he had a grand uncle and he got almost 1000 descendent today with the same surname. I asked them to make contact with him and maybe a reunion for the 1000 or so family member but it ends up with my mother and her brothers and sisters throwing stuff at me, lol losing their temper easily they must have turkish blood in them.lol

I had a math teacher who was from sudan but she was Turkish. She was completely white.

World Bulletin / News Desk

Four Turkish warships have arrived in the Canary Islands as part of a mission to Africa.

Two frigates, a corvette and another vessel from the Barbaros Turkish Maritime Task Group will carry out training and visit ports in African countries until June 27.

The warships visited Tunisia between 21 and 23 March and arrived at the Canary Islands on March 30.

The TMTG’s mission in African countries will be completed on June 27 after sailing 15,000 nautical miles over 102 days, visiting 27 countries.

During the mission, Turkish Naval Forces will have passed Cape Point (Cape Town) for the first time since 1866.

The TMTG was established to support foreign policy through the demonstration of Turkey's maritime presence across world seas, officials said.

It seeks to contribute to boosting ongoing multilateral relations with African states, provide an authoritative voice on international platforms, combat piracy and support NATO's Active Endeavour operation in the Mediterranean.

Four Turkish warships arrive in Canary Islands | Diplomacy | Worldbulletin News

Back
Top Bottom