What's new

Turkish army will establish a 'space command'

Hakan

RETIRED INTL MOD
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Turkish army will establish a 'space command' | Science & Technology | Worldbulletin News
A space command will be incorporated in the Turkish army within five years.
World Bulletin / News Desk

Turkish Armed Forces will establish a new space command within five years.

According to Turkey's daily Haberturk, the army will establish a space command in additon to its current air, defense, war, and radar commands.

The Turkish army is aiming to reach a fully-equipped space command in 2023, which marks the 100th anniversary of the Republic of Turkey.

A surveillance and reconnaissance unit was first set up nearly two years ago to carry out the Gokturk-2 satellite operations. The first images were received from Gokturk-2 on Dec. 25, 2012.

Gokturk-2 launched on December 18, 2012 from China's Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center and successfully put into orbit 686 km above the Earth's surface.

Please Share any info you may have about this plan
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Additional Info from Hurriyet.

The Turkish army has prepared a “space road map” as part of a new project in which a Space Group Command will be established under the direction of the Turkish Air Force.

The road map is based on the concept of using the space for peaceful and defense aims. The road map’s targets are to establish a reconnaissance and surveillance unit which will receive visual intelligence without being affected by obstacles caused by geography or climate – enabling secure communication – provide an early-warning system which will predetermine ballistic missile threats and provide sufficient time to take defense measures against the threat and finally to provide electronic support for the analysis of the electronic war order of the operation area.

The road map also aims to develop the skills to put satellites into orbit.

All the operations will be conducted under the command of a new unit, the Space Group Command. The command will also operate the satellites that will be among the Turkish military’s inventory.

The military’s target is to make an air-space force structure as part of the Turkish Air Force in order to keep up with the latest developments in the defense sector. A new satellite command will also be established that will work under the Space Group Command whenever a satellite is put into orbit.

As such, a Reconnaissance Satellite Command will first be established. This command is already operating the GÖKTÜRK-2 satellite, which was put into orbit on Dec. 18, 2012.

This satellite will be fully operational by the end of the next month and will serve the Turkish Armed Forces.

Visual data to be received next month

The Reconnaissance Satellite Command will be able to receive visual data anywhere in the world after next month thanks to the GÖKTÜRK-2 satellite. Other satellite commands which will be established as part of the new satellite projects will be subsumed under the Space Group Command in addition to the Reconnaissance Satellite Command.

These additional commands will be activated whenever new satellites are added to the army’s inventory. The Space Group Command is expected to complete its organizational structure by 2023.

Meanwhile, the first international Air and Space Forces Conference (ICAP’13) will take place in Istanbul between March 27 and 29. ICAP’13 will welcome participants interested in military aviation and space studies.

LOCAL - Turkish Armed Forces’ ‘space road map’ ready

I believe the main reason (for now) is to establish data links with enough power to keep the ANKA UAVS in the same operational capacity as the U.S. Reapers.

Would also be interested in knowing if they could ever weaponise a satellite...a Turkish gun pointing at everyone's head

Tried to post link but can't because I'm too new

I believe the main reason (for now) is to establish data links with enough power to keep the ANKA UAVS in the same operational capacity as the U.S. Reapers.

Would also be interested in knowing if they could ever weaponise a satellite...a Turkish gun pointing at everyone's head

Tried to post link but can't because I'm too new
Replace the gun with a Laser weapon.

weapons are prohibited in space under international treaty. So they won't arm any satellite.

weapons are prohibited in space under international treaty. So they won't arm any satellite.

I bet you that "treaty" doesn't apply to the UN Security Council...especially the US, Russia and China. As a matter of fact, they would idiots not to weaponize their satellites...space will be the next most important strategic area of control to win any battle in the near future.

Nuclear weapons are prohibited in space, conventional one's are still feasible. However, a laser might be a bit much due to the machinery needed, focus would be a problem too as the beam traverse Earth's atmosphere's different lasers and densities - atmospheric conditions to such as clouds or humidity, cooling, fuel... lots of stuff needed to make it work.

Legality of the Deployment of Conventional Weapons in Earth Orbit: Balancing Space Law and the Law of Armed Conflict - http://www.ejil.org/pdfs/18/5/251.pdf

Conventional weapons in space? Ethically dubious, but not prohibited.

I bet you that "treaty" doesn't apply to the UN Security Council...especially the US, Russia and China. As a matter of fact, they would idiots not to weaponize their satellites...space will be the next most important strategic area of control to win any battle in the near future.

Actually it does. Do you see nuclear weapons in space? No. Then they are abiding by the treaty.

Also @TheGrim - welcome to PDF. I don't think we've crossed paths yet.

Turkish army will establish a 'space command' | Science & Technology | Worldbulletin News
A space command will be incorporated in the Turkish army within five years.
World Bulletin / News Desk

Turkish Armed Forces will establish a new space command within five years.

According to Turkey's daily Haberturk, the army will establish a space command in additon to its current air, defense, war, and radar commands.

The Turkish army is aiming to reach a fully-equipped space command in 2023, which marks the 100th anniversary of the Republic of Turkey.

A surveillance and reconnaissance unit was first set up nearly two years ago to carry out the Gokturk-2 satellite operations. The first images were received from Gokturk-2 on Dec. 25, 2012.

Gokturk-2 launched on December 18, 2012 from China's Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center and successfully put into orbit 686 km above the Earth's surface.

Please Share any info you may have about this plan
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Additional Info from Hurriyet.

The Turkish army has prepared a “space road map” as part of a new project in which a Space Group Command will be established under the direction of the Turkish Air Force.

The road map is based on the concept of using the space for peaceful and defense aims. The road map’s targets are to establish a reconnaissance and surveillance unit which will receive visual intelligence without being affected by obstacles caused by geography or climate – enabling secure communication – provide an early-warning system which will predetermine ballistic missile threats and provide sufficient time to take defense measures against the threat and finally to provide electronic support for the analysis of the electronic war order of the operation area.

The road map also aims to develop the skills to put satellites into orbit.

All the operations will be conducted under the command of a new unit, the Space Group Command. The command will also operate the satellites that will be among the Turkish military’s inventory.

The military’s target is to make an air-space force structure as part of the Turkish Air Force in order to keep up with the latest developments in the defense sector. A new satellite command will also be established that will work under the Space Group Command whenever a satellite is put into orbit.

As such, a Reconnaissance Satellite Command will first be established. This command is already operating the GÖKTÜRK-2 satellite, which was put into orbit on Dec. 18, 2012.

This satellite will be fully operational by the end of the next month and will serve the Turkish Armed Forces.

Visual data to be received next month

The Reconnaissance Satellite Command will be able to receive visual data anywhere in the world after next month thanks to the GÖKTÜRK-2 satellite. Other satellite commands which will be established as part of the new satellite projects will be subsumed under the Space Group Command in addition to the Reconnaissance Satellite Command.

These additional commands will be activated whenever new satellites are added to the army’s inventory. The Space Group Command is expected to complete its organizational structure by 2023.

Meanwhile, the first international Air and Space Forces Conference (ICAP’13) will take place in Istanbul between March 27 and 29. ICAP’13 will welcome participants interested in military aviation and space studies.

LOCAL - Turkish Armed Forces’ ‘space road map’ ready

ISR and communications most likely, a data link to UAVs and submarines is feasible as well, though sub data links tend to be used for strategic sub payloads and target relaying. Turkey can network sats, subs and maritime patrol craft together for one hell of an effective punch.

I'd posit that the Turkish Space Command will be similar in scope to that of the recently established Japanese Space Command.

Last edited:
@SvenSvensonov
Thank you for the explanation.

I still maintain my opinion that the weaponization of space is inevitable. It's too big of an advantage to ignore. Until further proof is provided on my part however (couldn't find anything that proves that satellites are armed right now) I rest my case.

And thank you for the welcome! Yes I am very new here, and I'm really enjoying it already

When did you ever see anything in space besides the obvious(stars,comet,planets etc)?
So,how would you know?

How would we know? We monitor space... a lot. We know what's up there. We can ascertain the mission profile of a satellite based on its flight characteristics... or you know, you could just ask the USAF or NORAD, it's their job.

Civilians do it too:

How Amateur Sleuths Spot Satellites

They even uncovered a damaged US stealth satellite of the Misty series.

Misty 1, 2, 3 (AFP-731)

If you want to know what I know, you should know that knowing what goes on with US satellites was part of my job in the USN. Specifically sub to sat communications, but I have a deeper knowledge than that.

There was a time when nukes in space were being talked about:

The Soviet Fractional Orbital Bombardment System

it's not happening right now.

Or let's put it this way. Since I probably won't convince you, why don't you offer me something more than speculation or thoughts to substantiate the theory that nukes are currently in space.

I'll wait

@SvenSvensonov
Thank you for the explanation.

I still maintain my opinion that the weaponization of space is inevitable. It's too big of an advantage to ignore. Until further proof is provided on my part however (couldn't find anything that proves that satellites are armed right now) I rest my case.

And I don't disagree with your position either. The concept of Kinetic Orbital Bombardment frequently arises, it's a possibility.

Right now the talk between the US and China is on Hypersonic Glide Vehicles, perhaps we'll see the "rod from god" soon enough.

Rods from God | Popular Science

What is the purpose of a stealth satelite?
Makes you think.

I know that on the US Misty series, they have a balloon that would inflate to hide the satellite from ground based sensors:

url.jpg

18mkubd7icynvjpg.jpg

The first Misty was launched on STS-36 in 1990:

STS-36 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, this is a KH-11 that was uncovered by amateur satellite sleuths:

vandebergh_kh111.jpg

The KH-11 is a US electro-optical surveillance satellite. They have largely decommissioned and transferred from NRO command to NASA.

Amateurs are really good at uncovering anything in space, weapons would be picked up too.

Top Secret KH-11 Spysat Design Revealed By NRO’s Twin Telescope Gift to NASA « AmericaSpace

I know that on the US Misty series, they have a balloon that would inflate to hide the satellite from ground based sensors:

View attachment 197476

View attachment 197477

The first Misty was launched on STS-36 in 1990:

STS-36 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, this is a KH-11 that was uncovered by amateur satellite sleuths:

View attachment 197478

The KH-11 is a US electro-optical surveillance satellite. They have largely decommissioned and transferred from NRO command to NASA.

Amateurs are really good at uncovering anything in space, weapons would be picked up too.

Top Secret KH-11 Spysat Design Revealed By NRO’s Twin Telescope Gift to NASA « AmericaSpace
So it is possible to hide an ''armed'' satelite from earth based sensors?

NROL-39 belonging to the U.S. is a pretty interesting topic when one talks about spy satellites

So it is possible to hide an ''armed'' satelite from earth based sensors?

Perhaps, but adding weapons will increase the mass of a satellite, and thus its size - though it won't slow down the sat so monitoring its momentum won't work in space. Can you hide large object? Yes, it's feasible, but the launch would be detected via orbital sensors, an especially large launch platform would draw a lot more attention - the USAF and NORAD monitor all launches worldwide as part of their space observation and monitoring missions, orbital objects including decoys monitored and the unusual size of the satellite would draw attention to anyone interested in ascertaining the satellites mission.

Can it be done? Absolutely it can, you can hide a satellite that is armed. but for how long is the real question. I wouldn't expect one to escape our gaze for too long.

Also, ground sensors aren't your real danger, its systems like these:

MITEx A

While the US explored them as an ASAT system, there mission was officially to observe and inspect satellites. We could use one to inspect a weaponized sat too.

NROL-39 belonging to the U.S. is a pretty interesting topic when one talks about spy satellites

Quite! I worked with, but not for the NRO in the USN at SPAWAR... the US Space and Naval Warfare Command. Satellite communications was my specialty, I was an EMSEC Technician.

2013 USA-247 (NROL-39) Mission patch:

Nrol-39.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom