What's new

Tsunami hits Palu Indonesia!

waz

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Yet sadly another disaster has hit one of the Islands of Indonesia.
My apologies for the late thread as I was following events closely on the news. A beautiful country and people and thank you for making me and family feel so welcome. I hope others follow in my footsteps and donate money and whatever other support they can provide.
I hope you brothers and sisters get through this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-45693281

Strong aftershocks have continued to hit the Indonesian island of Sulawesi, where a major quake and tsunami killed at least 384 people and injured 500.

Dozens remain missing, some thought to be trapped in the debris of collapsed buildings in the city of Palu.

Bodies have been lying in city streets and the injured are being treated in tents because of damage to hospitals.

An air traffic controller at Palu airport died ensuring a plane took off safely after Friday's quake.

The scale of casualties and damage beyond the city is still unclear.

Anxious survivors in Palu bedded down in the open air on Saturday night, heeding advice by officials not to return to their homes as a precaution. Some buildings were completely flattened.

Indonesia is prone to earthquakes because it lies on the Ring of Fire - the line of frequent quakes and volcanic eruptions that circles virtually the entire Pacific rim.

In 2004, a tsunami triggered by an earthquake off the Indonesian island of Sumatra killed 226,000 people across the Indian Ocean, including more than 120,000 in Indonesia.

As we travel to the area devastated by the huge quake and tsunami we are meeting people heading the same way desperate to find out the fate of their loved ones.

"I know I have already lost three family members," one man told me, "two of them elderly relatives but one was a young father."

Other members of his family are still missing. "We don't know their fate," he tells me.

The images of devastation coming out of Palu are all too eerily familiar to many Indonesians. They evoke memories of the devastating tsunami of 2004 that hit the province of Aceh.

A 7.5 magnitude quake occurred at a shallow depth of 10km (6.2 miles) just off central Sulawesi at 18:03 (10:03 GMT), US monitors say.

A tsunami warning was issued but lifted within the hour.

Indonesia's meteorological agency has been criticised for its response but officials say the waves struck while the warning was in place.

People including dancers were still busy on the beach in Palu (population: 335,000), preparing for a festival, and were caught when waves up to 3m (10ft) in height swept in.

Video on social media shows people screaming and fleeing in panic.

"The tsunami... dragged cars, logs, houses," Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, a spokesman for Indonesia's disaster agency, told Reuters news agency. "It hit everything on land."

Some people survived by climbing 6m (18ft) trees, he added.

As well as destroying homes, the quake wrecked a shopping centre, a mosque, a hotel and a road bridge.

Reports are still coming in of the impact of the disaster on communities further up the coast from Palu and closer to the quake's epicentre, including the smaller town of Donggala, where there was at least one death and 10 people were injured.

"We have heard nothing from Donggala and this is extremely worrying," the Red Cross said in a statement.

"This is already a tragedy, but it could get much worse."

What are survivors saying about their ordeal?
When the quake hit, "we all panicked and ran out of the house," Anser Bachmid, 39, told AFP news agency. "People here need aid - food, drink, clean water. We don't know what to eat for dinner tonight."

"I just ran when I saw the waves hitting homes on the coastline," Palu resident Rusidanto said.

Dwi Haris, who was in the city for a wedding, was staying in a hotel with his wife and daughter when the quake struck.

"There was no time to save ourselves," he told the Associated Press news agency. "I was squeezed into the ruins of the wall... I heard my wife cry for help but then silence. I don't know what happened to her and my child. I hope they are safe."

With back and shoulder injuries, he is being treated outdoors at Palu's Army Hospital.

What is being done to help?
Aid is being flown from the capital Jakarta into Palu airport, using the part of its runway still intact.

Some people injured or affected by the quake were evacuated on a military transport plane.

Patients are being treated in the open outside city hospitals and at least one military field hospital has been erected.

Outside one hospital, dead bodies were laid out in bags for relatives to come and look for loved ones.

The regional head of the Indonesian Doctors Association (IDI), Komang, asked the authorities for immediate help.

"We need tents, medicines, medical personnel, tarpaulins, blankets and more of other things," he said.

Relief efforts are being hampered by power cuts and damage to roads and other infrastructure.

The UK-based charity Save the Children is sending an assessment team to the disaster zone.

"Unfortunately the more information that we're getting, the worse the situation appears to be," charity spokesman Tom Howells told the BBC from Jakarta.

What happened at the airport?
Anthonius Gunawan Agung, 21, was the only person left in the airport's control tower after the earthquake, Australian broadcaster ABC reports.

The rest had run for their lives when the tower started to sway but Mr Agung stayed behind to ensure Batik Air Flight 6321, which was on the runway, got away safely.

He then jumped from the fourth floor of the tower, fearing it was about to collapse, and was fatally injured.

Yohannes Sirait, spokesman for Air Navigation Indonesia, said he had potentially saved the lives of hundreds of people aboard the plane, losing his own in the process.

Colleagues paid tribute on Twitter, sharing photos of Mr Agung and soldiers carrying his covered body past a guard of honour.

End of Twitter post 2 by @AirNav_Official

_97415642_007_in_numbers_624.png

In another development, more than half the 560 inmates at Palu's prison escaped after its walls collapsed, the Associated Press reports.

"It was very hard for the security guards to stop the inmates from running away as they were so panicked," said its warden, Adhi Yan Ricoh.

How big a hazard are quakes for Indonesia?
More than half of the world's active volcanoes above sea level are part of the Ring of Fire.

Just last month, a series of deadly earthquakes struck the Indonesian island of Lombok. The biggest, on 5 August, killed more than 460 people.

RIP to the people caught in natural disaster the power of Tsunami is forever captured in Japanese Tsunami videos which make Tsunamis one of the most power forces on planet

a) You can't jump over it
b) You can't outrun it ...by running
c) You can climb over stuff and hope that stuff don't lose their base and float away with water
d) Or you can just get grinded down by the pressure of water or sharp objects acting like knieves
e) Drowning ......

Indonesia is located on the ring of fire where tectonic plates meet.

Anyway, the word Malu translates into embarrassed or shy

Rest in peace to all the people lost and patience to all left behind.

Indonesia's only safety is a Sea Wall in strategic areas

Sea wall cant do, in recorded history we got at least 3 large tsunami Krakatoa eruption as example causing 43 meter high Tsunami swept around Batavia, Banten and Lampung area. Much better to replanting Mangrove area in much wider area before civ. settlements

At least 832 dead in Indonesia quake-tsunami disaster: Official

29 Sep 2018 08:54AM (Updated: 30 Sep 2018 02:55PM)
Share this content
Bookmark

PALU, Indonesia: The death toll from Indonesia's quake and tsunami disaster has soared to 832 and could climb higher, the disaster agency said on Sunday (Sep 30).

So far, it said, almost all the deaths had been recorded in Palu, two days after waves 1.5 metres (five feet) high slammed into the city of 350,000 on Sulawesi island.

Eleven deaths had been recorded in the region of Donggala to the north of Palu, it said.

Earlier reports said 400 people were killed as hospitals struggled to cope with hundreds of injured and rescuers scrambled to reach the stricken region.

Dozens of people were reported to be still trapped in the rubble of a hotel in the city of Palu, which was hit by waves as high as six meters (20 feet) following the 7.5 magnitude earthquake.

Hundreds had gathered for a festival on the city's beach when the wall of water smashed onshore at dusk on Friday, sweeping many to their deaths and destroying anything in its path. Indonesian President Joko Widodo was scheduled to visit evacuation centers in the city on Sunday.

READ: Indonesian city of Palu hit by tsunami after strong quake: Official
[/paste:font]
Residents, meanwhile, sifted through a tangled mess of corrugated steel roofing, timber, rubble and flotsam that the waves had pushed some 50 metres inland.

One man was seen carrying the muddy corpse of a small child.

Many did not return to their homes as night fell and went to sleep in makeshift shelters under the open sky, terrified that powerful aftershocks could topple damaged homes.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/indonesia-palu-earthquake-tsunami-dead-rescuers-10770998

42948955_10155908223062934_1742537514104651776_n.jpg

42799389_10155908220892934_5533838401939177472_n.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-30_17-45-28.gif
    upload_2018-9-30_17-45-28.gif
    37 bytes · Views: 13
Indonesia death toll soars above 800, disaster agency confirms, Could reach into 'thousands'
By Sallyann Nicholls with Reuters• last updated: 30/09/2018

At least 832 people have been killed after a 7.5-magnitude earthquake and subsequent tsunami rocked the Indonesian island of Sulawesi on Friday, the country's disaster agency confirmed Sunday.

They added that the affected area is much larger than previously thought.

There are also fears the death toll could rise to the "thousands" as contact is restored with remote areas where communications were downed, Vice President Jusuf Kalla has said.

Rescue teams on Sunday were struggling to reach communities in affected parts of the island.

Dozens of people are thought to be trapped in the rubble of a hotel and shopping mall in the city of Palu.

The Red Cross estimates that more than 1.6 million people in total could have been affected by the disasters.

Thousands of buildings were destroyed by the earthquake, which was centered about 48 miles (77km) north of Palu, according to the United States Geological Survey.

“We have found corpses from the earthquake as well as bodies swept up by the tsunami,” said Indonesia’s disaster agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho on Saturday.

The waves reached as high as six meters (18 feet), he added, saying some people were able to save themselves by climbing taller trees.

Preparations for a beach festival were being made in Palu when waves struck, houses had been swept away and families remain missing.

Indonesia’s military dispatched cargo planes Saturday carrying medical supplies to affected areas, but rescue efforts were hampered after communications around Palu and a nearby fishing village, Donggala, which lies close to the earthquake’s epicentre, had been downed.

Indonesia sits on the Pacific Ring of Fire and is regularly hit by earthquakes. Friday's tremors came weeks after 460 people were killed following an earthquake on the Indonesian island of Lombok, destroying tens of thousands of buildings and displacing over 400,000 people.

https://www.euronews.com/2018/09/30...Feed:+euronews/en/news+(euronews+-+news+-+en)

Abosutely devestating, may those people rest in peace and may Indonesia recover quickly.

May those who lost their lives rest in peace .. unfortunate loss of so many souls

RIP to the dead . Very sad , My thoughts and Prayers are with them and Indonesians .

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom