What's new

Travel from India to Thailand via Myanmar by land

SouthDesi

Reaction score
Country
India
Read few months back in WSJ, the road will be re-build and open between India and Myanmar. I wish to travel to Myanmar and Thailand in my next trip to India. We are planning to travel by road, if it's open by that time. Any Idea where it stands now?

Read few months back in WSJ, the road will be re-build and open between India and Myanmar. I wish to travel to Myanmar and Thailand in my next trip to India. We are planning to travel by road, if it's open by that time. Any Idea where it stands now?
You can still do it but patches of Road in Rangoon are still mud tracks.

I'd suggest you to take a flight. Remember we are talking about a really long land travel and Myanmar isn't exactly your Finland when it comes to safety factor.

The border areas are a den of smugglers, terrorists and human traffickers both incoming and outgoing. Even if you are a tourist and planning to go for a group travel, it is not quite safe at the moment. Even if the road is done by 2015, there will be a lot of trade, security and other factors needed to be built in before planning such a trip. Anything upto Moreh (a bordering village in Manipur, with Burma) is fine in general but surface travel in Myanmar is not something you'd expect as a tourist.

People do travel up and down even now but it is at their own risk. The road is still not built enough to involve in such a long travel unless you own a full-blown SUV and have the pockets to pay for a drive that massive (considering that fuel prices :P)

indothairoad.jpg

Back
Top Bottom