What's new

Time has come to leave Afghanistan

A.Rafay

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The American people are now as opposed to the war in Afghanistan as they were to that in Vietnam 40 years ago. An Associated Press poll in May found that only 27 percent of Americans still support the war while 66 percent oppose it, which puts it in the same territory as the height of opposition to Vietnam.

So why are both presidential candidates promising to keep combat troops there for two more years – and likely a so-called “residual force” after that? Why are we asking thousands of America's young men and women to be the last Americans to die for this mistake? So far, almost 2,100 already have, with another 17,790 wounded, and it has cost American taxpayers more than a half a trillion dollars so far.

After the debate, the professional fact-checkers were all over the candidates' assertions, including their references to the auto-industry bailout, exports to China and Romney's charge that Obama had made a world “apology tour” (a “pants on fire” whopper, they said). But the checkers were AWOL on the president's claim that the “surge” of 33,000 troops into Afghanistan in late 2009 – and which ended last month – was a success. It wasn't.

According to NATO forces' documents acquired by reporter Spencer Ackerman, things are worse in Afghanistan now than they were before the surge, with more attacks, not fewer. Even more troubling is the nature of some of those attacks.

The American exit strategy is predicated on training Afghans to fight the resurgent Taliban. But now some Afghan troops, taught to use lethal weapons, are using them on their American mentors. There's a name for the phenomenon: “green on blue” killings, which have claimed the lives of 50 coalition-force members so far. The attacks so rattled the U.S. forces that some of the training was suspended last month. It has now resumed, but after 11 years of failure it's hard to believe that something miraculous will happen in the next two, especially since some of the “insider attacks” are not from the Taliban but from ordinary Afghans enraged at the occupation of their country.

Read more here: Time has come to leave Afghanistan | Opinion | Rock Hill Herald Online

"I am involved in the land of a 'Leonine' (lion-like) and brave people, where every foot of the ground is like a wall of steel, confronting my soldier. You have brought only one Alexander into the world, but every mother in this land has brought an Alexander in the world.”

Letter of Alexander: The Great to his mother conquering Graveyard of Empires. :)

Keep dreaming.

You're never going to dominate Afghanistan even if you put your entire Army into Taliban's camp.

The difference between Vietnam war and Afghanistan war, is in vietnam war American people were free, free to express their opinions, and that opinion mattered.

This is how americans do their thing ....

They build these weapons , have pile and pile of weapons , their military needs budgeting so what they do is , they start these so called "wars" where they use all the old wepons literally its just getting rid of old stuff

Then they go to Congress and tell them we need new budget for planes, tanks and solideirs

I mean look at it ..

Their local people when they ask for funding they are told there is no money but when they have to waste trillion dollars in war they do it instantly

Something does not adds up

I feel USA will have more strategic and economical benefit by leaving Afghanistan to its own rather than being involved with it....

Having spen 21 months for my 1 and a half tour deployed to Afghanistan, i can report that we have acheive NOTHING in the past 11 years.

I can say this, whatever happen when we got there in 2001, it still happen in Afghansitan today, nothing really change actually, maybe we now have 2200 more killed and we save a bunch of Civilian??

We build school, taliban destroy it, or just poison the student. We build hospital and taliban just chop off the hand for those who ask the american medicine. We killed a bunch of guys, damn we killed their leader, in the end, everything that happened in 2001 still happening today.

Don't get me wrong, i am all for invading Afghanistan, i have personally see what those taliban bastard did to their own citizen and some thing you will never forget, or imagine if you are just sitting in your sofa and watching TV. But i do think the high point to get out has passed about 100 years ago, it supposed to be a quick military operation then follow by a civilian operation, instead it was a full on military campaign that drag on for 11 and soon, 12 years. The thing is, they will not leave until the deadline which is July 2014. So soldiers are still keep getting killed, for what? NOthing, Whatever happened 11 years ago, still happening today

Having spen 21 months for my 1 and a half tour deployed to Afghanistan, i can report that we have acheive NOTHING in the past 11 years.

I can say this, whatever happen when we got there in 2001, it still happen in Afghansitan today, nothing really change actually, maybe we now have 2200 more killed and we save a bunch of Civilian??

We build school, taliban destroy it, or just poison the student. We build hospital and taliban just chop off the hand for those who ask the american medicine. We killed a bunch of guys, damn we killed their leader, in the end, everything that happened in 2001 still happening today.

Don't get me wrong, i am all for invading Afghanistan, i have personally see what those taliban bastard did to their own citizen and some thing you will never forget, or imagine if you are just sitting in your sofa and watching TV. But i do think the high point to get out has passed about 100 years ago, it supposed to be a quick military operation then follow by a civilian operation, instead it was a full on military campaign that drag on for 11 and soon, 12 years. The thing is, they will not leave until the deadline which is July 2014. So soldiers are still keep getting killed, for what? NOthing, Whatever happened 11 years ago, still happening today

Sir what are your views on Pakistan ? What becomes of us ? A repeat of the late '80s or a bit more stable Afghanistan ?

I got nothing to compare aginst pakistan, i have never been to, i think it's one of important step to stable the whole Mid-East region. It's an important military and strategic partnar in the region.

I think Pakistan is an interesting country, they do offer assiatance but some part of pakistan do harbor terrorist, i don't think the government know about it so my best answer that comes up is that part of the region in pakistan is not under pakistan government control

Back
Top Bottom