What's new

Tibetan refugees in India

Why can't India just grant them citizenship and full rights instead since there are so many of them there and the majority being second generation.

If the Tibetans born in India want to apply for Indian Citizenship, they are free to do so according to the Indian Constitution, however most of them chose to just apply for an RC (Registration Certificate). It is a personal choice for the Tibetans. Most of them chose to just apply for an RC because they want to retain status of a Tibetan Citizen in exile and want to retain their identity.

Last edited:
If the Tibetans born in India want to apply for Indian Citizenship, they are free to do so according to the Indian Constitution, however most of them chose to just apply for an RC (Residence Certificate). It is a personal choice for the Tibetans. Most of them chose to just apply for an RC because they want to retain status of a Tibetan Citizen in exile and want to retain their identity.

Yeah but I heard that they are deprived of property rights because of this. Like this they are basically stateless and rights-less.

Also I highly doubt that the second generation feels any attachment to some place they have never really been to. I don't believe this story. I think someone is obstructing them from becoming citizens.

Yeah but I heard that they are deprived of property rights because of this. Like this they are basically stateless and rights-less.

Also I highly doubt that the second generation feels any attachment to some place they have never really been to. I don't believe this story. I think someone is obstructing them from becoming citizens.

You have to be a citizen of India before you can buy property in India, so if the Tibetans chose to possess an RC, they are not legally entitled to own property in India. The Indian govt runs special schools for the Tibetan refugees which provide free education, provides health care facilities, reserved seats in govt engg and medical colleges amongst a few benefits even in their exile status.

I don't know if you are trying to point to some conspiracy theory behind the difficulty in getting Indian citizenships, but the truth of the matter is that often it is a bureaucratic challenge for most, which is compounded by absence of proper documents. I think there is a special rule for the people born after 1980 stating that they have to be born to Indian parents in order to apply for the citizenship (not too sure about this though).

If you have any other reasons for this I am open for discussion.

Tibetans can get indian citizenship ..
but then his holiness dalai lama will have the final direction to his followeres..

anyway , Tibetans are not required to have a citizenship to live a normal life in india..

as far as property rights in india , all the current properties they owned at dharmshala belongs to them only , and don't see any problum if they like to buy anywhere in india....when western missionaries can build here ..

india has a very respectfull place for his holiness dalai lama...

in my view i will be better they totally abonden tibet and make india their home..

our friends in west will not say anything about brutal regime of dragon.

hahahha..... better to be quite cos when i will talk about kashmir most of you will mind..... don,t talk of rights when you also belongs brutal class .........

The Kind and sane humane Pakistanis are mum on Tibets freedom aspirations.

dear be realistic..................... if have courage to call a spade a spade that take bitter pill and talk full truth rather than just blaming paksitan like pure loosers ...........

my country has felt da brutality of bully china...it took part of our land....damm f*****chinese

my country has felt da brutality of bully china...it took part of our land....damm f*****chinese

The other Indian posters might brutalize me for saying so but I am pleasantly surprised at how positively the Bhutanese view India compares to our other neighbors.

Back
Top Bottom