What's new

Tibet part of China, says US

Spring Onion

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
BEIJING: Describing Tibet as part of China, US President Barack Obama today supported the early resumption of talks between Beijing and

"We did note that while we recognise that Tibet is part of the People's Republic of China, the United States supports the early resumption of dialogue" between the Dalai Lama's representatives and Beijing," Obama said after his meeting with Chinese counterpart Hu Jintao.

Chinese President Hu Jintao hailed US President Barack Obama's recognition of sovereignty issues dear to China.

"China approves of President Obama's repeated reiteration of the one-China principle," Hu told reporters.

Hu referred to China's "sovereignty over Taiwan and other matters" during a state visit in which some Western analysts had predicted that China would also demand an explicit declaration by Washington of China's sovereignty over the restive frontier regions of Tibet and Xinjiang.

Washington switched diplomatic recognition from Taipei, capital of self-ruled Taiwan, to Beijing in 1979 but remains the island's main arms supplier.

Obama did not meet Tibet's exiled spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, when he was in Washington in early October. But the Dalai Lama has said they may meet after Obama returns from China, which condemns the Buddhist monk as a separatist for demanding Tibetan self-determination.

China, which has governed Tibet since its troops occupied the territory in the 1950s, has repeatedly accused the Dalai Lama of leading a campaign to split the Himalayan region from the rest of the country.

The 74-year-old Dalai Lama, who fled to India amid a failed uprising against Chinese rule in 1959, has denied the allegations.

The last formal talks between the Dalai Lama's envoys and Chinese officials, the seventh since 2002, ended in an impasse in July last year, with China demanding that he prove that he did not support Tibetan independence.

Relations have been particularly tense this year after large scale riots in Lhasa, Tibet's capital, in which hundreds of shops were torched and Chinese civilians were attacked.

Obama meets Hu, says Tibet part of China - China - World - The Times of India

Tibet is always a part of china. Even India has never said any thing against this status. The only rants are coming out from people who do not represent GoI. It is very wise of Mr. B.H.Obama to announce such statements. Tibitians should recognise such voices and resolve their issue with Chinese Govt.
However he has also raised issues of religious freedom etc. with china 'upfront' and should also be recognised on the same merit as we are doing for above statement.
China has to set precedent by practising such freedoms so that people in exile should trust them, which i think is not yet done(prove me wrong please).

I think even Dalai lama's stand is similar. He only wants greater autonomy within tibet region to protect culture.

Tibet is always a part of china. Even India has never said any thing against this status. The only rants are coming out from people who do not represent GoI. It is very wise of Mr. B.H.Obama to announce such statements. Tibitians should recognise such voices and resolve their issue with Chinese Govt.
However he has also raised issues of religious freedom etc. with china 'upfront' and should also be recognised on the same merit as we are doing for above statement.
China has to set precedent by practising such freedoms so that people in exile should trust them, which i think is not yet done(prove me wrong please).

right,tibet should've never been a problem if india and US govt didn't involve

I think even Dalai lama's stand is similar. He only wants greater autonomy within tibet region to protect culture.

we all know what dalai-lama and india-US govt want,don't pretend you are innocent,he is just political card.protect culture?is "killing" part of that plan?visit Potala Palace before you claim that

Last edited:
right,tibet should've never been a problem if india and US govt didn't involve

oh! India never invited Dalia Lama to come and live in India during turmoil in Tibet. He came to India which was more or less congenial to his spiritual practices and a neighbouring nation with porous borders.

Please provide me some good suggestion where you think china can/should comprehensively bully other nations for being provider of political asylum to Tibetans/Chinese. Provide me a single proof when India was involved to assist even logistical support to tibetans/Chinese to create turmoil in Tibet or china.

Rather blaming on Indians or US please enlighten me about any special efforts Chinese govt. has ever done to bring these temporarily outraged tibetans to stream line. Chine can not try his luck every time to arm twist everyone who shall raise his voice for his religious freedom or autonomy. This what Chines constitution is explaining and instructing govt machinery (half heartedly) but even that has been not implicated.

What ever Tibetans have protested all over the world till date was their own effort. If china thinks these nations providing them right to protest (within a limit) should party with the likes of PRC is unjust and uncalled for.

The day when china will recognise these so called traitors as their own brothers and sisters no other nation will be able to manipulate with there aggression for their own benefits.
To me it is very much less evident as from the behaviours of people like you (as sample for others) who are privileged to represent their nation on online forums with dry, rough and with zero compassion for those who are dissatisfied for a very native reason.
Regards

i think we can find all the "prove" from india's "forward policy" war , US Congress is funding dalai-group every year,they admitted,you want prove,google yourself

What USA says and what not, is not an important thing. Because they talk else, while they do else.

i think we can find all the "prove" from india's "forward policy" war , US Congress is funding dalai-group every year,they admitted,you want prove,google yourself

Forward policy? what would you expect from a recently formed republic stretching and spreading to probe her Indian influence in surrounding areas. Forward policy wrong or right is not the question but Required was an absolute desire. It was in India's national interest and constitutional right to protect Indians, survey, occupy, possess all possible surrounding unclaimed areas in the that age of uncertainty, deception and misinformation.

However how forward policy has anything to do with oppression of tibetans at that time is beyond anyone's understanding.

Furthermore providing asylum to Dalia Lama jeopardised our forward policy as China was unnecessary provoked and alerted for activities of Indian machinery acclaiming reasonable land which has more resemblance to ancient Indian heritage then Chinese. If you think India benefited from uninvited visitor in distress at the cost of China then you are totally misinformed and simply baseless.

India is still paying the price happy and proudly cause Chinese stubborness is at epic level high till this date cause rather resolving these issues with tibetans he has objected India on every Geo political Issue to punish him for providing shelters to tibetans on humanitarian grounds.

US: i can not comment cause your assertion it very generalized. Please elaborate what you are trying to say. thanks in advance.

to protect culture or to protect the culture in which he can be adorned as god so he can cast out all other ethnic groups from one third of china's territory?

Tibet is part of China, this fact has nothing to with US.

to protect culture or to protect the culture in which he can be adorned as god so he can cast out all other ethnic groups from one third of china's territory?

Tibet is part of China, this fact has nothing to with US.

You are only thinking one third and not about them. Whether they cast out or not, but you will cast out tibetians soon. He himself said, there might be no dalai lama in future. He is very pro in that and a bit greater autonomy as promised in agreement should be given.

You are only thinking one third of China may become an indian protectorate and not about them. Whether tibetan people live better lives are not your concern, but you will cast out 'unwelcoming' minorities such as sikhs, thamels and Assamese within the sub-continent soon.

He himself said, Han, Hui, Mongol and other nun-tibet groups should be 'cleaned' from not only tibet region but also from Qinghai prov. Gansu Prov, Sichuan Prov. and even Yunnan Prov. An autonomy as promised in agreement should be given people in tibet, not the exiled political leader who betrayed his own people over 50 years.

You are only thinking one third of China may become an indian protectorate and not about them. Whether tibetan people live better lives are not your concern, but you will cast out 'unwelcoming' minorities such as sikhs, thamels and Assamese within the sub-continent soon.

He himself said, Han, Hui, Mongol and other nun-tibet groups should be 'cleaned' from not only tibet region but also from Qinghai prov. Gansu Prov, Sichuan Prov. and even Yunnan Prov. An autonomy as promised in agreement should be given people in tibet, not the exiled political leader who betrayed his own people over 50 years.

agree with last. Autonomy to be given to the people of tibet. If you agree, we also agree. Dalai lama is not going to live for 1000s year. By most another 20-25 years. Tibet should be able to vote and elect their local leaders.

Credit must be given to Chinese diplomacy. They are playing North Korea and Iran card well:agree:

This card did not win any favour for Russia so its not the Iran, Korea card but economy
i agree with you but the recent nuclear developments in Iran and south korea also added worry for US.:cheers:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom