What's new

Thunder Bravo Shows It's Claws

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
JF-17B commissioned recently displays it's lethal capability armed with Rounds of SD-10 BVR Missiles.

81196623_2458635874454179_6338569660933341184_n.jpg

can someone please reply to my queries regarding Bravo. Thanks in advance.

Does Pakistan intend to use Bravos as trainers like Myanmar or just strike/specialized role only? (as they didn't want a trainer version originally)

In normal (other than training) missions does weapons officer have any veto over pilots judgment or pilot has the sole ownership of mission and weapons officer is just to assist?

Dual seats are better as one will remain a 'gunner' and the other pilot? Or single better...

Does Pakistan intend to use Bravos as trainers like Myanmar or just strike/specialized role only? (as they didn't want a trainer version originally)

In normal (other than training) missions does weapons officer have any veto over pilots judgment or pilot has the sole ownership of mission and weapons officer is just to assist?
GROWLER or PROWLER roles.

no one here on this forum can answer your questions with certainty. the closest answer you may get is from PAC marketing material or press release or the interview from the Air chief and that too can change.
best we can do is guess
and it is that it will be for specialized combat roles but that wont mean that they wont ever be used as trainers.
the Idea of JF17 was that any experienced fighter pilot can easily transition to this jet after familiarizing with its simulator hence PAF managed to fly this jet for years without a duel seat trainer and may continue to do so (not need a trainer) but again there is no restriction.

They may be deployed for the training of foreign pilots and there is news that it will play the Growler role and even for SEAD missions.

@Windjammer Bhai, i can only see 1 SD-10, where is the round?

JF-17B commissioned recently displays it's lethal capability armed with Rounds of SD-10 BVR Missiles.

Uff ufff :cheesy::cheesy::smitten:

Oh btw, that’s not the usual HUD, is it?

Bro this pic looks old due to presence off too many hinges

Current plan for the JF-17Bs is mainly OCU for converting rookie pilots (from FCU/LIFT) to the JF-17. The PAF basically wants to start pushing new pilots to the Thunder (instead of ones with prior experience, as those are becoming rarer due to the fact that F-7s and old Mirages are going away).

Current plan for the JF-17Bs is mainly OCU for converting rookie pilots (from FCU/LIFT) to the JF-17. The PAF basically wants to start pushing new pilots to the Thunder (instead of ones with prior experience, as those are becoming rarer due to the fact that F-7s and old Mirages are going away).
As more & more Thunder induct, the OCU requirements increase, more & more pilots transit to thunder.

It would have been unwise to do that using single seaters as that would drain the airframe lives very quickly as well as increase the risk of crashes as more & more pilots not familiar with thunder get their hands on.

So bravo PAF for chosing bravo

As more & more Thunder induct, the OCU requirements increase, more & more pilots transit to thunder.

It would have been unwise to do that using single seaters as that would drain the airframe lives very quickly as well as increase the risk of crashes as more & more pilots not familiar with thunder get their hands on.

So bravo PAF for chosing bravo
Agreed. but bear in mind, it doesn't take long to convert a 2 seater from OCU trainer to wild weasel or growler. with the Thunder being so customizable via software, it should very easy. I would highly doubt that a force as robust as the PAF would only keep the JF17Bs strictly as OCU trainers when all the potential of being easily converted to a growler/prowler/wild weasel role is all there.

Agreed. but bear in mind, it doesn't take long to convert a 2 seater from OCU trainer to wild weasel or growler. with the Thunder being so customizable via software, it should very easy. I would highly doubt that a force as robust as the PAF would only keep the JF17Bs strictly as OCU trainers when all the potential of being easily converted to a growler/prowler/wild weasel role is all there.
PAF is not stupid to keep it limited to CCS/ACE

One thing I learned following the PAF is: WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get).

Basically, if the stated function of the JF-17B is OCU, then that's the role, not EW/EA. Of course, the JF-17Bs can serve in combat when required, but it would be the same role of the Block-2.

Now, I do think the PAF will order many more JF-17s, and of those, there may be JF-17Bs. Not too sure about EW/EA/Growler, but I believe Raptor or H2/H4 deployment is efficient with a two-seater (with the munition operator in the second seat).

One thing I learned following the PAF is: WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get).

Basically, if the stated function of the JF-17B is OCU, then that's the role, not EW/EA. Of course, the JF-17Bs can serve in combat when required, but it would be the same role of the Block-2.

Now, I do think the PAF will order many more JF-17s, and of those, there may be JF-17Bs. Not too sure about EW/EA/Growler, but I believe Raptor or H2/H4 deployment is efficient with a two-seater (with the munition operator in the second seat).
Agreed. Frankly I would be surprised if the PAF isn't utilizing the B block as growlers or prowlers, especially when the potential is totally there and within achievable reach. One big functionality as we've seen deployed by the usaf/usn is to make the enemy waste their SAMs on fake signals put out BY those growlers feeding the enemy radars with false targets, like how the Syrian Army was claiming to have shot down american planes and cruise missiles with their S300s were convincing but fake targets...why WOULDN'T we do that?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom