Three more Pakistan cricketers named in court in spot-fixing case

SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Three more Pakistan cricketers named in court in spot-fixing case

Umar-Akmal-007.jpg

Three more Pakistan international cricketers have been named in court in connection with alleged attempts to fix events at the fourth Test against England at Lord's last summer.

It has been alleged that Umar Akmal, his brother Kamran and Wahab Riaz would carry out instructions from the agent Mazhar Majeed, who has been charged with accepting corrupt payments and cheating at gambling. The names emerged on the second day of the trial involving Pakistan's former captain, Salman Butt, and Mohammad Asif. Butt, 26, and fast bowler Asif, 28, deny conspiracy to accept corrupt payments and conspiracy to cheat.

Majeed, and the teenage bowler Mohammad Amir – who has also been charged – are not in the dock, although the jury has been told there is "nothing sinister" in their absence. The court had heard on Tuesday how Majeed bragged to an undercover journalist that he had "two bowlers, two batsmen and two all-rounders" under his control, with the batsman Imran Farhat also being named. However, according to the prosecution Majeed did clarify that Farhat was "not completely in the circle".

In a day of high drama, the court also heard of a conversation between Majeed and an unnamed Indian caller who is said to have frequently appeared in telephone schedules relating to the case and whom the prosecution has described as "sinister". The discussion took place with Pakistan in a dominant position in the earlier third Test against England at the Oval.

"They talk about 'what we spoke about last night, and what offer can be made?'," the prosecutor Aftab Jafferjee told the court. "The Indian caller provides a figure of a million dollars.

"The only context to place this in the light of all the evidence thus far, would be the price for Pakistan to lose the Test match when they were plainly poised for a memorable victory. Nothing else would make sense. It reveals that at least the idea had been floated – certainly between Majeed and the Indian party." The case continues.

Three more Pakistan cricketers named in court in spot-fixing case | Sport | guardian.co.uk

by the time this case is closed..the whole of Pakistani team will be in english court...lol:devil:

No wonder! we didn't win the last World Cup. I say, off with their heads.

I think we have to be careful here. My impression is that the whole sport has a lot of fixing going on. The reason pakistanis are getting hammered is that they are not very subtle at it.

i think this thread is started to reply earlier thread posted about sentencing of a Indian national

Wahab Riaz did get five wickets against India in the World Cup though.

i think this thread is started to reply earlier thread posted about sentencing of a Indian national

Kanpur this thread is about Pakistani cricketers attempting to spot fix mate. If they are found guilty they will indeed do the time and will deserve it. My beef is in the fact they were in a dominating match position IN ENGLAND and potentially played like moronic morons and may have lost the game due to this. As a Pakistani thats annoyed me as not alot of teams get to win a test and then get to a position they could have won 2!

I really hate the Akmal brothers.Wahab Riaz is okay.Anyway if they are proved guilty should be hanged.I mean Pakistani citizens spend so much money and emotions for these A$$holes and they take bribes and loose the ******* match.

hope after this issue nothing will happen in future.

After this piece of news I :rofl: at India having to buy their world cup victory. I give hazar lanat to our team members that have been engaging in this scandal.

After this piece of news I :rofl: at India having to buy their world cup victory. I give hazar lanat to our team members that have been engaging in this scandal.

I knew the second such a news would come out Pakistanis would start going after India's world cup win. What Sunil Gavaskar said was right "Pakistanis need an excuse to cry, when they win their team is the best, when the loose the match was fixed, they can never accept that the other team played better than them".

Back
Top Bottom