ghazi52

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Three-day Kalash festival, Chilam Joshi begins in Chitral next week

May 09, 2019

50260431557406022.jpg

A three-day Kalash festival, Chilam Joshi begins in Chitral next week.

The Kalash community celebrates Chilam Joshi in the mid of May every year to welcome the spring season.

The Kalash people are living in Bumburate, Birir and Rumbur valleys of Chitral District. Their culture is unique in the whole world.

A large number of tourists from home and abroad are coming to Chitral to enjoy the festival.

Tourism Corporation Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and District Administration Chitral have made necessary arrangements to facilitate the tourists.

Chilam Joshi Festival is a Pakistani festival celebrated by the Kalash people, living in the Chitral District of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province in Pakistan. The festival starts on 13 May.

Activities

The four-day festival is held in the middle of May. During the festival, men and women meet with the aim of finding a spouse. This festival gives an excellent opportunity to celebrate the beginning of summer and to give a message of peace to the world. During this festival, the people of Kalash pray for the safety of their fields and animals. The people of Kalash adore the music and dance to the beat of drums. Both men and woman share these moments of dancing together during the festivities. The Kalash are for their music and dance festivals.

Last edited:
Kalash Chilam Joshi Festival
  • Choimus-festival-hunza-guides.jpg

• Kalash-Choimus-festival-hunza-guides.jpg

• Kalash-valleys-hunza-guides.jpg

• Kalash-Uchal-Festival-hunza-guides.jpg

• Kalash-Festival-hunza-guides.jpg

• Kalash-valley-hunza-guides.jpg

1. Kalash Chilam Joshi Festival

Chilam Joshi is also known as Kalash spring festival. Chilam Joshi festival is held in three Kalash valleys, Bumburet, Birir, and Rumbur where Kalash girls and boys dance to the tune of traditional drum beats.

Chilam Joshi celebrations highlight their cultural richness, the plethora of colors and the underlying message of peace. The women dressed up in traditional clothes of vibrant colors, gold, silver jewelers and elaborate headgear. Men wear traditional salwar kameez with a woolen waistcoat.

Kalashi festivals are famous throughout the world. Three festivals are more important, celebrated in different months of the year. Chilam Joshi is the most important festival celebrated in May for four days. Uchal festival held in autumn season and Choimos festival in midwinters.

Chilam Joshi festival starts at Rumbur valley and then moves on to other valleys of Kalash. In this festival, Kalashi people pray for the safeguard of their fields and animals before going to their fields and for this purpose they used to spread milk on their Gods. The festival brought smiles on the unmarried Kalasha boys and girls faces who during the festival get an opportunity to choose their life partners. They announce their life partners name on the last day of the festival.

Kalash Festivals

One of the major attractions of Pakistan Cultural Festivals are Kalash Valleys Festivals. The Kalash Valleys of Rumbur,Bunboret, and Birir are within Chitral in the North-West Frontier Province, near Nuristan in Afghanistan. The people here are some of the only non-Muslims for hundreds of miles. The home of kafir Kalash or wearers of the black rose, a primitive pagan tribe. The Kalash are an ancient tribe and have a religion and culture of their own; their culture is unique as well as an amazing one. A legend says that one General Salik Shah, who was called by the Greek as General Sulfurous with five soldiers of the legions of Alexander of MACEDON, settled in Chitral and are the progenitors of the Kafir Kalash. The Kalash are infamous for their festivals; these folks know how to let their hair down in style. There is much dancing where the elders chant legends with drum accompaniment and the women dance around outside. Locally brewed mulberry wine is drunk in copious quantities. Kalash People celebrate three main festivals in a year. 2019.

JOSHIO CHILMJUSHT (14TH -15TH OF MAY)

The function is organized to pay thanks to Almighty. They celebrate the arrival of the spring season with new hopes and aspiration.

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-9_9-31-24.gif
    upload_2019-5-9_9-31-24.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 46
  • upload_2019-5-9_9-31-24.gif
    upload_2019-5-9_9-31-24.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 41
absolutely beautiful
may Allah keep this beautiful and rich culture and land away from bad people and extremists

Hopefully me & my buddies will be visiting Chitral on chowmas festival which is celebrated in December.

@krash. Any experience of visiting these regions bro?

I heard it gets quite warm.. though my parental town is near Multan so I know how hot it can get in summers..but I heard Sibbi is warmer.
Im not particularly from sibbi city/town but the dist.

But yeah its boiling hot in summers.
With electricity the heat & mosquitoes make it hell.

absolutely beautiful
may Allah keep this beautiful and rich culture and land away from bad people and extremists

Too late, the Kalasha have been a target of preachers,their indigenous culture is dying out.

Kalasha are dying out, I think there is only three Kalasha pagan valley left, the rest of them have been under pressure to convert to Sunni religion.

Too late, the Kalasha have been a target of preachers,their indigenous culture is dying out.

Kalasha are dying out, I think there is only three Kalasha pagan valley left, the rest of them have been under pressure to convert to Sunni religion.

this is truly a dangerous situation
the Government should put a strict guard around the region, the police should effectively ban preachers from going there

Chilam Joshi Festival 2019, Kalash Valley, Pakistan

Photo By: Ch Umer

60604702_2576471279065007_782462244406427648_n.jpg

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom