What's new

Thirteen convicted for India riot

Nafees

Reaction score
A special court in India has convicted 13 people in connection with the mass murder and gang-rape of Muslims during the 2002 riots in Gujarat state.

A policeman is among those who have been found guilty.

The case was moved out of Gujarat and handed over to federal police by the supreme court which said the state had done little to bring them to justice.

More than 1,000 people, mostly Muslims, died in the riots, although independent groups say the toll was nearly 2,000.

Infamous

The convictions were delivered by a special court in the Indian city of Mumbai (Bombay) where the trial was shifted following the supreme court order in 2004.

BBC News, Delhi

This was one of the most infamous cases in the Gujarat riots - a Hindu mob attacked a group of Muslims.

Fourteen Muslims were killed and three women were gang-raped.

One of them was Bilkis Bano, who was pregnant at the time and only managed to survive because the attackers thought she was dead.

She was the key witness during the trial and it was the evidence she provided that led to Friday's convictions.

Among those convicted is a policeman who was charged with protecting the guilty.

Sentences will be handed out on Monday.

The Gujarat government, which is run by the Hindu nationalist BJP, was heavily criticised for its poor handling of the riot cases.

It will never be enough till we have Narendra Modi behind the bars.

A special court in India has convicted 13 people in connection with the mass murder and gang-rape of Muslims during the 2002 riots in Gujarat state.

A policeman is among those who have been found guilty.

The case was moved out of Gujarat and handed over to federal police by the supreme court which said the state had done little to bring them to justice.

More than 1,000 people, mostly Muslims, died in the riots, although independent groups say the toll was nearly 2,000.

Infamous

The convictions were delivered by a special court in the Indian city of Mumbai (Bombay) where the trial was shifted following the supreme court order in 2004.

BBC News, Delhi

This was one of the most infamous cases in the Gujarat riots - a Hindu mob attacked a group of Muslims.

Fourteen Muslims were killed and three women were gang-raped.

One of them was Bilkis Bano, who was pregnant at the time and only managed to survive because the attackers thought she was dead.

She was the key witness during the trial and it was the evidence she provided that led to Friday's convictions.

Among those convicted is a policeman who was charged with protecting the guilty.

Sentences will be handed out on Monday.

The Gujarat government, which is run by the Hindu nationalist BJP, was heavily criticised for its poor handling of the riot cases.

we cant say anything to anyone b/c muslims did those acts with muslims in1971 war.

and they are doing it in NWFP too!

it is time to take stock and ensure that such elements are eradicated.

no it is not happening in NWFP.

There is a operation going on against foreign militants.

you cant compare NWFP with Gujrat,absolutely no comparison.

Their were thousands who took part in these riots and only 13 are punished. At least bring the mastermind Modi to justice.

congratulation to India for arresting people and punishing them for there crimes next time others will think twice before doing it.i wish we could have those judges in Pakistan

congratulation to India for arresting people and punishing them for there crimes next time others will think twice before doing it.i wish we could have those judges in Pakistan

These people who have been arrested were just following orders. What needs to be done is that the source of the problem must be caught. Now I am not just talking about India, I am talking about going after the source in general. Once the source is destroyed the problem will go away.

These people who have been arrested were just following orders. What needs to be done is that the source of the problem must be caught. Now I am not just talking about India, I am talking about going after the source in general. Once the source is destroyed the problem will go away.

There is 2 way i look at this first Indians gave the assurance to there people that B.S like this will not be tolerated.and they punished the ones that caused the riots.
Second Investors get the feelling they are investing in a law abiding secure society and there money is safe.
Thats called killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

In Pakistan's and India's case the source is our rotten dirty politicians willing to do any thing to stay in the seat.only way to get rid of that is not to vote for it.Indians can do that Pakistanis cant as once a politician he isn't going any where till either dead or killed unfortunately.

There is 2 way i look at this first Indians gave the assurance to there people that B.S like this will not be tolerated.and they punished the ones that caused the riots.
Second Investors get the feelling they are investing in a law abiding secure society and there money is safe.
Thats called killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

In Pakistan's and India's case the source is our rotten dirty politicians willing to do any thing to stay in the seat.only way to get rid of that is not to vote for it.Indians can do that Pakistanis cant as once a politician he isn't going any where till either dead or killed unfortunately.

Well said, I couldn't of had said it better myself. Now such things also happen in Pakistan as well. But you see our society is so sensitive that these things happen rarely. Even if some corrupt politician is locked up once one of his friends comes into power he is released. When a politician commits a crime he know that he might get caught but at the same time he also knows that he wont be locked up forever and will be released soon. You see one reason India has been more successful then Pakistan, is because of their stability. All their governments almost have the same policies and their government get to complete their term. In Pakistan every time we have a new party in power everything changes and every time(excluding the previous government) they government is dismissed before it is able to funish its term, thus creating political instability.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom