These AR-style rifles are about to win a major Indian military contract

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
SOURCE: Militarytimes.com

ANI2RDNMFVD63OAZMMABWKG6OU.jpg

The Indian Army is in the process of spending major dough, to the tune of USD $503 million, on a new service rifle for its frontline infantry troops.And a pair of AR-style carbines have emerged as the top choices for the highly lucrative contract.

In a bid to partially replace the problematic and incredibly controversial 1B1 INSAS, the Indian Army’s current standard-issue assault rifle, the Indian Ministry of Defence will soon enter a three-month negotiation period with US-based arms giant SIG Sauer Inc. to procure over 72,000 SIG 716 battle rifles.

Marking a shift from 5.56 NATO with the 1B1 to the larger-caliber 7.62 NATO with the 716, the Indian Army hopes to give its troops a more reliable weapon which it currently sorely lacks. Complaints of untimely stoppages and mechanism failures have marred what the Indian MoD had originally hoped would be a long and storied career for its (at-the-time) next-generation gun.

TLJJ7BKHF5FJZIVCA2Z44P3BTY.jpg

SIG’s 716 uses a short stroke piston-driven operating system with a heavier pushrod than its smaller brother, the 516 (chambered for 5.56 NATO), and a 16 inch hammer-forged free floating barrel. An ambidextrous mag release, tons of rail space for electronics and optics, plus a telescoping Magpul stock round out the features on the rifle.

The second part of the multi-million dollar contract will ultimately go towards Caracal International LLC, a UAE-based defense contractor offering their CAR816, a carbine analogous to the M4, firing the 5.56 NATO round. Similar to the SIG 516 and the 716, the CAR816 uses a short-stroke pushrod gas piston design, and comes with a 16 inch barrel.

The CAR816 will be used as a close quarters battle (CQB) weapon, replacing the substantially smaller caliber 9 mm Sterling… a side-loaded submachine gun which traces its origins back to the 1940s.

INSAS is a good system,every system takes sometime to mature.If evolved it would make a good system.

INSAS is a good system,every system takes sometime to mature.If evolved it would make a good system.
I dont think there much of development potential for Insas anymore.

Sorry my bad. Thanks for pointing it out. OFB makes shitty rifles that injure and not kill. :lol:
DRDO does not make them , OFB makes them !!!

OFB makes what ARDE designs, the same OFB also makes Arjun, T90 Bhishma, CRN91, GSH23/30, Vidhwansak, IFG 105, LFG 105.

There is if they would have tried.
On the development front they have the Battle rifle and the Insas LMG with a heavier barrel and over sized 3 lug bolt, thicker receiver which was well received but did not see wide spread use as lack of enthusiasm for a 5.56nato chambered LMG.

On the Assault rifle platform, They tried with two variants with caliber change, JVPC/MSMC PDW with a 8.5" barrel and Grip fed box mag with a shortened cartridge - 5.45x30mm and a 10.5" barrel length standard pattern in the same caliber - named Minsas, both system were not accepted into the service, although JVPC is still going through some trials for BSF and Paramil forces. There wasn't a serious effort made at changing the receiver or the action for system, rather than going the AK12 route, ARDE instead went the AR15 pattern with the piston system instead of DI with the MICWS system, which is yet to mature. I am not very optimistic for that system either.

named Minsas, both system were not accepted into the service,
That is problem.
ARDE instead went the AR15 pattern with the piston system
Usual kickbacks.
I am big fan of Ar's when it comes to aesthetics,modularity,weight and accuracy but won't trust a short stroke rifle over a long stroke rifle when it comes to real use.In my opinion Ak pattern rifles suites us more then anything.Israel is a prime example,they went with Galil and then to TAR 21 both are using long stroke gas piston.

That is problem.

Usual kickbacks.
I am big fan of Ar's when it comes to aesthetics,modularity,weight and accuracy but won't trust a short stroke rifle over a long stroke rifle when it comes to real use.In my opinion Ak pattern rifles suites us more then anything.Israel is a prime example,they went with Galil and then to TAR 21 both are using long stroke gas piston.
I dont think kickbacks was the issue, ARDE did a bit of sloppy work with the 5.56x30 cartridge, as well as JVPC operating design. Good PDW's usually are blowback simple systems, like UZI's or B&T Mp9, there was no need to make the JVPC a bulky system. Next the cartridge, 5.56x30 minsas, wanted to be a 5.7x28 type cartridge but lacked the needed engineering, it turned out to be a shortened 5.56 nato cartridge. In Carbine there really was little to offer by the minsas 10.5" offereing; JVPC might still make it into smaller numbers.

We actually use a short stroke piston rifle, in VZ58 and it is pretty reliable, it operated in large numbers by Indian forces, I was tempted to buy a semi VZ58 a couple of years back but ran out of luck before I could get my hands on it. SCAR, Bren, HK 416/417, ACR all are short stroke piston driven guns and are increasingly seeing service in armies that can afford them. I would actually be even happy with a DI gun in small numbers for the IA, I have not encountered any problem with my AR10 or AR15, but then again my use is nothing compared to real operators.

Back
Top Bottom