What's new

The World is flat - Nandan Nilekani

I didn't write that article neither did a Pakistani, neither did the article come from a Pakistani news source.

Its a recent article published by BBC.

And its all true, India has a long way to go... its ridiculous that some Americans think India will become their "overlord".

India does not have to reduce its poverty to zero to become "overlord" for the US. Firstly, "overlord" is a very aggressive term. We view our relations with US as a partner, at least in Business.

What they mean, is that Indians are getting increased control over their business. I myself have been engaged in so many projects, which migrated IT business from US to India. Same goes for other sectors as well. General Motors is firing people all over the world, but they have special plans for India. They are not firing a single person here. This is just an example. There are so many other examples as BPO, R&D which are starting migrating towards India. This recession actually has speeded up that process, as outsourcing saves millions of $ for them.

Bottom line - It does not matter if India has got millions of poor. We have enough people who can support business of US. Our partnership proves beneficial to both the countries. Period.

Tonight, Nandan Nilekani co-founder of Infosys made an appearance to promote his new book "Imagining India" on the Daily Show hosted by Jon Stewart. The first question to Nilekani was "...we (Americans) believe either India or China will be our new overlord - make your case for India". Nilekani’s response was India will be a good country not an overlord. He ended the interview saying that he believes the world will be flat because technology would level the playing field.

Interesting, the suggestion here is that in the future no nation would be able to dominate the other making war an exercise in futility. I like the sound of that – any thoughts?

The two major related field of domination in future will be technology and energy. I disagree with you DBC on domination, the future game of domination will be played on the two fields I have mentioned, after the war on terror is over with.

In the two fields, there is currently a domination game being played, and that is for real estate of the moon. What they are after is helium-3, and I believe 5 countries are in the arena. Those are United States, Russia, China, Japan, and India.

I think its stupid for any organisation to measure "poverty" in terms of dollars and then begin to stereotype a country. If they earn Rs 100 a day, they are way above the poverty line, by Indian Rupee scale.

Dreaming with Brazil, India and China: A path to 2050

I don't believe that many of the statistics in the article are correct. But there is a reason to use a fixed scale than one adjusted for PPP to measure poverty. While PPP is a measure that is affected by a lot of things not under the control of aid agencies (like trade, convertible currency, external shocks, Forex etc.) an absolute measure of poverty like $2 helps the donor countries aim for a static target, especially when the donors have their income in Dollars. So a unadjusted-for-PPP measure for poverty is commonly used by donors while any sovereign would use a adjusted-for-PPP measure since the latter gives an idea of how much Roti-Kapda-Makan costs in a local economy.

I didn't write that article neither did a Pakistani, neither did the article come from a Pakistani news source.

Its a recent article published by BBC.

And its all true, India has a long way to go... its ridiculous that some Americans think India will become their "overlord".

A misplaced truth is no more than a lie.

I hope you don't take bath in kitchen?? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom