What's new

The Troubles - Once upon a time in UK

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
There was a time in UK when if a bomb went of the first thought that came to you was IRA. Terrorism was wholly Irish Catholic franchise in UK. Growing up in UK in 1980s not a week went by without some terrible attack by IRA. Children, women and men were victims. Cities like London or Manchester had huge areas blown up by IRA. Lord Mountbatten, Queen's uncle was murdered. Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher was targeted.

Part of UK near the Irish border was so infested by terrorists that it was named "Bandit Country" something akin to the wild borders of Pakistan on the Afghan frontier. The police dare not patrol the area and only did so with British infantry patrols providing cover. The British Army dare not move on the ground and relied on helicopter transport in fear of ambush. The Irish Army on other side of the border refused to cooperate with British Army - Similar to how Pak Army and Afghan Army refuse to work togather. The remarkable thing is I never imagined that one day I would belong to a community looked upon as "terrorist" like the Irish were.

The Troubles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So in this thread I will be charting the Troubles which cost the lives of 3,500 people over 40 years of bloodshed and only came to end in 1998. The thing that strikes me is the leaders of IRA are today in British Government. So follow this thread to remind yourself terrorism is not a Muslim thing like it was not Irish Catholic thing.

This is UK 1976

The murder of two British soldiers. 1988.

Milltown Massacre 1988

Murder of British officer 1999

The IRA

Qaddafi too had tried to help the IRA...
2011.09.26.Exposure.Libya_-e1317121589342-184x184.jpg

I saw a great BBC documentary covering this from both the British and then the Irish side. Will pull it out of yourtube. Lots of lessons for us.

Lots of lessons can be learned from how the conflict in northern Ireland has been contained.

Its not like the issue is settled but there is peace despite that the republican view is still that of a united Ireland free from British rule while the unionists/loyalists view is still that Ulster is part of the UK.

Back
Top Bottom