What's new

The su 57 is not cancelled. Development is ongoing.

Frostbite

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
Canada
There seems to be a misunderstanding and bad reporting going on in the media about the su 57.

12 units are going into production now and development is continuing on what the Russians are calling a 6th gen variant.

Testing on the phase 2 engine is happening right now. If the jet was cancelled, they would not be testing the new engine. Nothing is being mothballed. There are still updates coming out about the program.

I had to make this thread because the other one is just not correct.

There seems to be a misunderstanding and bad reporting going on in the media about the su 57.

12 units are going into production now and development is continuing on what the Russians are calling a 6th gen variant.

Testing on the phase 2 engine is happening right now. If the jet was cancelled, they would not be testing the new engine. Nothing is being mothballed. There are still updates coming out about the program.

12 Su-57 is as efficient as 120 Su-27. These days units aren't built too many. The UK built 6 Daring frigates and replaced every old warship. It's pretty amazing.

Dude, the Su-57 does not even have many of the features found in 5th generation fighters ... and you're telling me that they'll somehow use it as the basis for a sixth generation fighter? Either Russian media is drunk on vodka or your information is simply wrong. Also, gas turbine development does not necessarily correlate with fighter jet development ... the new engine can be used for fighters other than the Su-57. In short, the entire program seems like a failure ... no wonder why the Indians *wisely* withdrew from the FGFA project.

12 Su-57 is as efficient as 120 Su-27. These days units aren't built too many. The UK built 6 Daring frigates and replaced every old warship. It's pretty amazing.
Comparing fighter jets to an huge warship is an invalid comparison ... and I have a hard time in believing 12 Su-57s are as efficient as 120 Su-27s. Even if this is true, Russia would still be facing thousands of superior F-35s, all of which are more efficient than their 4th gen predecessors. If production does really stop at 12 units, then that is a significant blow to an already aging Russian air force.

Dude, the Su-57 does not even have many of the features found in 5th generation fighters ... and you're telling me that they'll somehow use it as the basis for a sixth generation fighter? Either Russian media is drunk on vodka or your information is simply wrong. Also, gas turbine development does not necessarily correlate with fighter jet development ... the new engine can be used for fighters other than the Su-57. In short, the entire program seems like a failure ... no wonder why the Indians *wisely* withdrew from the FGFA project.

Comparing fighter jets to an huge warship is an invalid comparison ... and I have a hard time in believing 12 Su-57s are as efficient as 120 Su-27s. Even if this is true, Russia would still be facing thousands of superior F-35s, all of which are more efficient than their 4th gen predecessors. If production does really stop at 12 units, then that is a significant blow to an already aging Russian air force.

Show off.

You more or less conceded that you know the program isn't cancelled because you questioned the idea of Russia making it a 6th gen. But then you revert back and claim that the new engine could be for something else.

You were right the first time. The program is not cancelled. The Pak Fa program always had a 2 phase engine in the plans. It was known in 2011.

As for making it a 6th gen. Military hardware is not like sports cars. Things don't change just to make it new & exciting. Fighter jets won't change shape unless there is a new scientific breakthrough in aerodynamics. Or in the case recently, stealth. 5th gens look this way only b/c of the breakthrough in stealth.

The only breakthrough we see so far in 6th gen renderings is deleted vertical stabilizers. And considering the su 57 is the only jet with fully composite, all moving vertical stabilizers that are less than half the size of 4th gen or F-22 Raptor verticals, the su 57 is the most 6th gen of them all. The levcon setup is also the most conducive to deleting the verticals too.

So no. I don't think it's a stretch at all to make the su 57 a 6th gen. But that should at least be the discussion. The discussion shouldnt be whether it's cancelled or not. Because it isn't

Last edited:
I think Russia is foreseeing a breakthrough in quantum radar. Which is why they went for the lowest profile possible even to the point where they sacrificed some conventional stealth measures on the back. The F-35 isn't like the F-22 on the back either. With quantum radar, absolute size will define who is the least detectable. And profile wise, the su 57 is the best on that front.

Its a one plane surface with no conventional fuselage. When flying, it almost looks like a flying wing.

suhoj-t-50-pak-fa-.jpg

Last edited:
I think Russia is foreseeing a breakthrough in quantum radar. Which is why they went for the lowest profile possible even to the point where they sacrificed some conventional stealth measures on the back. The F-35 isn't like the F-22 on the back either. With quantum radar, absolute size will define who is the least detectable. And profile wise, the su 57 is the best on that front.

Its a one plane surface with no conventional fuselage. When flying, it almost looks like a flying wing.

suhoj-t-50-pak-fa-.jpg
What you think and what you can prove are two different things, come back when you actually have a proof of what you're saying

Russia hinted that they were going to mass produce the su 57 later as a 6th gen way back in 2016. Yet we have these reports in the western defense media that the jet is cancelled just because its not being mass produced today.

By Franz-Stefan Gady
November 01, 2017

Russia’s first indigenously designed and built fifth-generation stealth fighter, the Su-57, could be turned into a sixth-generation fighter aircraft, the former head of the Russian Aerospace Force, Viktor Bondarev told TASS news agency on November.

“This is actually a splendid plane and it can embrace both fifth-and sixth-generation features. It has huge modernization potential,” Bondarev, now chairman of the Federation Council Defense and Security Committee, said. “Importantly, it is the best among the existing versions by its stealth characteristics. It incorporates all the best that is available in modern aviation science both in Russia and in the world,” he added.

As I reported in July 2016, Russian defense officials have repeatedly claimed that hardware elements designed for a future sixth generation fighter have been tested on the Su-57 prototype, including flight and navigation systems as well as advanced electronic warfare and radar systems.

Russia revealed for the first time the design of a new sixth generation fighter aircraft in March 2016 (See: “Russia Reveals First Design of New 6th Generation Fighter”). The new aircraft is slated to be available in manned and unmanned configuration, and could take to the air for the first time in the late 2020s, according to Russian defense officials.

Back
Top Bottom