What's new

The Su-30 MKI is a fantastic aircraft but a generation behind the Rafale in technology

The SC

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Canada
20120130PHOWWW00509.jpg

brahmos-on-su-30-mki.jpg

Is India now completely dependent on the Sukhoi Su-30s when it comes to guarding the skies. Will increasing the Sukhoi squadrons considerably provide us with some kind of deterrent against enemies?

The Su-30 MKI is a fantastic aircraft but a generation behind the Rafale in technology. The Su-30 MKI is fully capable of not only guarding our skies but also delivering a very good punch to the enemy. It is truly a multi-role aircraft -- maintenance-intensive but a true deterrent in the real sense.

Instead of focusing largely on getting its 4th Generation fighter aircraft fleet okay, should India get more serious on developing its 5th generation fighter aircraft programme in collaboration with Russia?

The Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA) is a developmental aircraft and is still a few years away even for the Russian Air Force. The IAF is quite involved in its development and I am sure when operationalised, the FGFA would serve the IAF well. But that is still, in my opinion, five to 10 years away.

In 2011-12, 12 (5 MiGs), in 2012-13, four (two MiGs), in 2013-14, six (four MiGs) and in 2014-15 up to 25 February, six (03 MiGs) crashed, killing 11 personnel. Despite such heavy loss of men and machine why is there no synergy between the Ministry of Defence and the IAF?

This is a very old and often repeated question. Yes, in the recent past the MiG 21 has had a history of accidents. But there are many factors which contribute to this statistic. A lot has been said and written on this topic. Personally I can vouch for the MiG 21 as a safe and very capable aircraft having flown the MiG 21 for over 2,500 hours (all accidents free)!

Diminishing strength of fighter aircraft squadrons is a real concern for the IAF. But that is where management of resources and well thought out deployment plans to meet the twin contingencies as well as other sub/non-conventional threats come to the fore. I am sure the IAF has ingenious plans to meet these eventualities. But there is a limit to what can be achieved with dwindling resources! Hence the urgency to induct new types of aircraft like the Rafale.

What is the biggest impediment to modernising the IAF? Is it lack of political will, lack of funds or something else?

Modernising the IAF cannot be viewed or done in isolation. IAF as an instrument of national security must be in sync with other instruments of national security. Procurement of aircraft and systems for modernisation of the IAF is only one aspect of modernisation. There are other aspects like improvement of infrastructure (airfields, maintenance and logistic infrastructure and training). The IAF has progressed and achieved a lot and so has the country. Having been part of many multinational exercises and operations with all major air forces of the world I would like to assure you that the IAF is second to none in professionalism and operational capability. I do not believe that there is lack of funds or political will in modernising the IAF. However, the process is slow because at times there is lack of synergy among various departments and agencies responsible for modernising the IAF.

http://m.firstpost.com/india/two-ne...a-worry-former-air-marshal-gogoi-2207294.html

Last edited:
I think we should cut those who take these decisions some slack. Aircraft procurement and induction is such a long drawn process, that in hindsight an aircraft may already seem outdated when it starts its service.

Technically speaking, the Rafale is half a generation behind F-22 and F-35. But does it matter? I think what matters is that the platform should be upgradable - so that newer radar, weapons, sensors can be added in subsequent blocks as upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom