What's new

The Space Based Laser (SBL)

BLACKEAGLE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Jordan
Description: The Space Based Laser (SBL) is a program to pursue a laser deployed in the space capable of destroying targets. A flight demonstration will be carried out in the 2008-2010 timeframe to demonstrate the SBL concept feasibility. If concept feasible, an operational SBL could be deployed in the second decade of the 21st century. The SBL primary targets should be ballistic missiles, but could be possible to destroy airborne targets using the high-energy laser beam associated with the SBL.

Program Status: Under Development
IOC: 2020
Also Known As: Space Based Laser

Origin: United States of America

Contractor/s: Lockheed Martin
m02006120200009.jpg

For more details:
Space Based Laser [SBL]

SDI resurrected???

Yes. This time with real computing power at disposal. I'm sure China is also pursuing some similar projects inside government labs?

Sad part is, again the world will have to play catchup with them.

Yes. This time with real computing power at disposal. I'm sure China is also pursuing some similar projects inside government labs?

Technically the Outer Space Treaty does not ban the usage of conventional weapons in space... I just think that it is ironic that both China and the U.S. are calling for "peaceful usage of outerspace" when an arms race is clearly imminent.

Technically the Outer Space Treaty does not ban the usage of conventional weapons in space... I just think that it is ironic that both China and the U.S. are calling for "peaceful usage of outerspace" when an arms race is clearly imminent.

Copy that, and I totally agree!

Man I hate the dual nature of these technologies. On one hand if we don't push the envelop, human progress will suffer, on the other, if we let advanced nations try what they wish, first thing they do is to check how they can manage to blow their adversaries to smithereens. And even worst, it will keep on deteriorating at a much faster pace as our understanding of Physics improves. Sad, very sad :(

I wish my d**k had some dual use as a weapon too :D

The struggle between the shield and the sword will never end. As a response Russia is going to develop anti air/space system (S-500), and maybe an air to space missiles similar to the Russian legendary air-air missile with greater range.

Novator K-100
800px-KS-172_NTW_-_94.jpg

^^^As a general rule it is easier to destroy than to create or protect.

The world? Only a few nations even have the capability to go to space.

The struggle between the shield and the sword will never end. As a response Russia is going to develop anti air/space system (S-500), and maybe an air to space missiles similar to the Russian legendary air-air missile with greater range.

Well, Russia is still trying, whereas, the US has a mature system at hand: Check SM3 below (S500 is quite inferior to SM3 - with the 'public' specs that are available of S500)

RIM-161 Standard Missile 3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now, check out Aegis system in action with SM3:

The world? Only a few nations even have the capability to go to space.

'Low orbit' is not much of a challenge for majority of nations anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe Russia must be working on this as of Right Now. I mean they are in space. They have announced a bigger and better succcessor to ISS and they are curently deploying their own GPS ( ithink its called Glonass), so may be they're as close to a space based laser as the US.

Can somebody foresee, Lockheed (or their counter part in other states) developing secondary SBL satellites for-hire by other nations or agencies. They'll definitely develop one for defence against Asteroid/Meteor impact.

Description: The Space Based Laser (SBL) is a program to pursue a laser deployed in the space capable of destroying targets. A flight demonstration will be carried out in the 2008-2010

So... did it happen?

'Low orbit' is not much of a challenge for majority of nations anymore.

Not really. Only a handful of nations in each region have the ability to create a space vehicle.
Sure more then the cold war but not many. It is akin to having the ability to create an ICBM.

Back
Top Bottom