What's new

The Sindh High Court rejects appeals against two nuclear power plants in Karachi

Saifullah Sani

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The Sindh High Court rejects Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy, Dr Pervez Amirali Hoodbhoy, Dr AH Nayyar and Arif Belgrami's appeals against two nuclear power plants in Karachi and allow the atomic energy commission to commence work on two nuclear power plants in Karachi.
(Source: Geo News / Dunya News)

The Sindh High Court rejects Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy, Dr Pervez Amirali Hoodbhoy, Dr AH Nayyar and Arif Belgrami's appeals against two nuclear power plants in Karachi and allow the atomic energy commission to commence work on two nuclear power plants in Karachi.
(Source: Geo News / Dunya News)
ISI needs to teach these morons a lesson

Nuclear Power plant in Karachi !!!
Not as such, but in the outskirts. The issue has to do with their nuclear waste(or the water dumping) which is already contaminating the otherwise pristine beaches around KANUPP. Pretty soon we'll be seeing sharks with two heads around Karachi.

IAEA approved those design complete safe... Why aren't they let them Building it.... ??? May be they need some Greens to approve these Plants... :pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed:

Not as such, but in the outskirts. The issue has to do with their nuclear waste(or the water dumping) which is already contaminating the otherwise pristine beaches around KANUPP. Pretty soon we'll be seeing sharks with two heads around Karachi.

Nuclear Reactor is a very dangerous machine I hope Pakistani authorities have taken all the necessary safety procedures

( I cut & paste from a word document. Please forgive me but some how I am unable convert the following in to regular font. It is too long to retype)

Why bring ISI into it? It implies many Pakistanis are convinced that ISI is involved in harassing private citizens. Indian media would have a field day on hearing such remarks as it provides an opportunity to cast slur on the Pakistani intelligence services.

Nuclear energy is a controversial topic. There is very strong anti-nuclear lobby in nearly all the European countries and their concerns are quite genuine. For example if a meltdown were to occur, the accident could kill and injure tens of thousands of people, leaving large regions uninhabitable.

For years nuclear plants have been leaking radioactive waste from underground pipes and radioactive waste pools into the ground water at sites across the nations of their location. And even after more than 70 years after the first Chicago Pile-1 which went critical on 2 December 1942, a satisfactory method for handling long lived radioactive wastes has not yet been devised.

Another problem is that no one worries about the hidden costs, i.e. the costs involved in cleaning up after reactor site is closed. Cost to bring the site of the nuclear power plant back to the radiation free area as it was before the power plant was established can be onerous.

A terrorist attack on a nuclear research facility or a commercial nuclear power plant could lead to the release of nuclear material. In a country such as Pakistan this danger is very real. An attack on stores of spent nuclear fuels poses as much, if not more, of an attack risk.

Another way extremists could exploit radioactive materials would be by creating a dirty bomb by loading a conventional bomb with radioactive materials obtained from some sympathiser working with the spent fuel section of the plant.

Germany has taken a bold step in deciding to abandon nuclear power in favour of safer forms of energy. Minister of Ecology Norbert Roettgen made the announcement early Monday May 30, 2011 and explained how Germany plans to phase out its 17 nuclear reactors over the next 11 years.

Any private citizen is entitled to question any plant where there could be environmental concerns as this falls under Public interest’ category.

Personally, I am from the pro- nuclear lobby and believe that nuclear energy is the safest & the greenest source of power. Earning livelihood as a Petroleum/ Energy consultant, I make it a point of reading a lot of literature about various aspects of power generation to keep my self abreast of the developments.

The world is running out of oil, and governments everywhere are searching for alternatives. Damage to the environment thru fossil fuel is a lot more than thru nuclear power. According to a recent report about world pumped 39.8-billion tons of CO2 into the atmosphere last year.

Carbon emissions reach 40 billion ton high: World faces 'dangerous climate change' - and China, the US and India are the worst offenders | Daily Mail Online

We can’t have it both ways that is cut down carbon emissions and also totally abandon nuclear energy. I believe that nuclear power is the most viable, currently available resource for meeting the world’s growing energy needs.

Serious nuclear incidents have been few and far between. As of 2012, a total of 582 commercial nuclear reactors had been built and operated worldwide. Of these, twelve have suffered meltdown incidents and a total 137 have shut down permanently for various reasons. Out of the 12 meltdowns only the following were really serious incident:

Stationary Low Power Reactor No.1 (SL-1) located at Idaho National Laboratory.
Melt down occurred due to improper removal of control rods causing steam explode.
3 workers were killed. It was shut down in May 1964.

Three Mile Island Unit 2 Nuclear Power Plant located at Londonderry, Pennsylvania.50% core melt down occurred in March 1979 following which it was shutdown. Some radio gas was released but there were nor injuries or adverse health effects to the workers or residents.

Chernobyl Unit 4 Nuclear power plant. Pripyat, Ukraine.
Meltdown occurred on April 26, 1986. A catastrophic power increase led to an explosion of the reactor core and ignition of the graphite moderator. Destroyed in full core melt and explosion, with radioactive fallout over much of Europe. Ukraine government said 80,000 emergency workers died. There could be as much as 25,000 premature deaths in all Europe due to the increased cancer risk caused by the radiation.
It was shut down following the incident.

Fukushima Daiichi Units 1 & 2, Ohkuma, Fukushima Prefecture, Japan.
Unit 3 & 4 were shut but destroyed in the incident.

Core meltdown occurred following earthquake & Tsunami and the station blackout, on March 11, 2011. Hydrogen explosion destroyed building frame and exposed elevated spent fuel pool. Water poured through missing roof and walls to keep spent fuel cool. All the 4 units were shut down following the incident.

There were no casualties officially reported to be caused by radiation exposure. Although, Masao Yoshida, the former Fukushima supervisor of damage control who was among the 50 employees who remained on site for clean-up after others were evacuated died of oesophageal cancer in July 2013. Predicted future cancer deaths due to accumulated radiation exposures in the population living near Fukushima are predicted to be extremely low to none. On the other hand approximately 19,000 died due to the earthquake and tsunami.

In 2013, two years after the incident, the WHO indicated that the residents of the area who were evacuated were exposed to so little radiation that radiation induced health impacts are likely to be below detectable levels.

The point I am trying to prove is that IMO risk from nuclear power is grossly exaggerated. Since radiation cannot be seen or felt, hence general public fears are much greater.

U.S. Senate Committee on Environment & Public Works conducted a hearing about nuclear plant safety after the Fukushima incident which was published on June 16, 2011 in which certain recommendation about nuclear plant safety were recommended but building of new nuclear plants was not prohibited.

Finally, I have great respect for Dr Hoodbhoy (one of the plaintiffs) and agree that many of the concerns about dangers of the nuclear energy are quite genuine. I would not dream of denouncing a very knowledgeable Nuclear Scientist simply because I hold different views. I am sure that a competent member of the anti –nuclear lobby, could probably give sufficient rational arguments opposing nuclear power.

I have noted other 5 incidents of the nuclear meltdown below for the record. There were no causalities or health risks involved.

Sodium Reactor Experiment (SRE),Santa Susana Field Laboratory, California Partial core melt accident between July 12 and July 26, 1959, resulting in melting 1/3 of the fuel. Reactor was shut down on Feb. 1964.

Enrico Fermi Unit1. Frenchtown Township, Monroe County, Michigan.
Meltdown occurred on Oct. 5, 1966, two of 105 fuel assemblies melt. Shut down on Nov. 1972.

Saint Laurent A-1 Nuclear Power plant. St. Laurent-Nouan, Loir-et-Cher, Centre, France
Meltdown occurred because 50 Kg of Uranium melted Oct. 17, 1969.Shut down on
May 27, 199

Saint Laurent A-2 Power plant.St. Laurent-Nouan, Loir-et-Cher, Centre, France.
Heat excursion caused partial fuel melt March 13, 1980.Shut down May 27, 1992.

Greifswald Unit 5 (KGR-5) Nuclear Power Plant. Lubmin, Germany. Partial fuel meltdown November 24, 1989 when four of six cooling pumps were inoperable and control of reactor was lost.Shut down in1991.

Last edited:
Hope, all the safety measures must have been ensured by the atomic energy commission as location is quite sensitive as well.

Nuclear power plant is very essential for the mega cities like karachi to meet its energy needs. But unfortunately these useless courts always becomes a hurdle in our way and always stops good developmental projects like this.

In DEMOCRAZY it is not possible but when INSHAALLAH PA takes over then PA should not spare any SOB.

Now the work needs to start immediately on this project, there should be no more further delay.

Nuclear Reactor is a very dangerous machine I hope Pakistani authorities have taken all the necessary safety procedures
Nuclear Reactor is not a machine !!!!!!!!!!
Don't talk when you don't know

Nuclear Power Plants(NPP) have not only risk of accident, such type of risks are also presents in Thermal Power Plant producing CO2 , SOx NOx gases and also in the waste of hospitals , containing dangerous viruses and bacteria that are dangerous for people. But its not mean we should stop Thermal Power Plants, Hospitals etc. So we have to ensure safety and precautions rather to stop such developments. The Large amount of Money spend only for the safety of NPP, there are so many options only for one safe operation in NPPs. PAEC has 42 years of successful operation experience of Kannup, and it is under the safeguard of IAEA. K-2 and K-3 are also approved by IAEA. And off course there is a safety program in case of emergency. One Important thing is that the SITE study and Safety Analysis of K-2 and K-3 took almost 7 to 8 Years.

My Request to hood bhai, if you are patriotic and very much sincere for Pakistani people please give appropriate solution in depth for energy crisis, as you are against NPP.

in short some people don't like mega projects in Pakistan:pakistan::pakistan::pakistan:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom