What's new

The second Coliseum in the world in 3D

Tunisian Marine Corps

Reaction score
Country
Tunisia
amphitheater_of_el_djem.jpg
The Roman amphitheater of El Djem in Tunisia is the third largest arena in the world, after Rome’s Colosseum and the ruined theater of Capua. El Djem was formerly the Roman town of Thysdrus, one of the most important towns in North Africa after Carthage. The amphitheater was built in the early 3rd century AD capable of seating 35,000 spectators. The structure remained in a good state until the 17th century when stones from the arena were used for building the nearby village of El Djem and transported to the Great Mosque in Kairouan. More recently and less destructive it was used for filming some of the scenes from the Oscar winning film Gladiator. It is now a popular tourist destination in Tunisia.

- See more at: 10 Famous Roman Amphitheaters | Touropia

OMG how come I never heard of this one! Need to visit Tunisia!!

Tunisia is after all the back drop of the Romans in ancient times. Hannibal's gift :-)

OMG how come I never heard of this one! Need to visit Tunisia!!

Also sister, I believe Tunisia/Libya was the way through which the romans traded in wild animals from Africa, and obviously local tough gladiators

Tunisia is after all the back drop of the Romans in ancient times. Hannibal's gift :-)

Also sister, I believe Tunisia/Libya was the way through which the romans traded in wild animals from Africa, and obviously local tough gladiators
ahan!! No I dont have that much knowledge on Tunisia...

I don't think it was used for Gladiator. It was a partial replica set built in Malta.
even they don't used for Gladiator but is still the second Coliseum in the world and the 3rd largest one

Tunisia was the best roman state in crops production it become rich in that time so they build this Colosseum to be more roman

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom