What's new

The Iran-Iraq War: The Original Gulf War

dexter

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

On January 17th 1991, the skies over Kuwait and Iraq roared with the largest and most sophisticated air armada in history. Their mission was to destroy the army of Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein who in August of the previous year had seized the tiny oil-rich kingdom of Kuwait in order to plunder its wealth. Remembered in the west as the Gulf War, this conflict was preceded by another major war in the Persian Gulf in which Iraq fought an eight-year-long struggle with its powerful eastern neighbour Iran. Given the events of the region that would come in the 1990s and up to the present day, many around the world now overlook this important chapter of history. It is a story of revolution. Of political ambition. Of behind-the-scenes scheming and the cost of all those things paid for in blood. This is the Iran-Iraq War – the original Gulf War. Welcome to Wars of the World.

0:00 Introduction
1:40 Background – Iran
6:10 Background - Iraq
10:45 The Opening Rounds
20:02 Foreign Backers
25:42 The Tanker War
29:29 The Final Years
37:55 Legacy

thanks to america

Yes thanks to america for preventing the total collapse of the saddam regime. At the height of its power, with full eastern, western and arab support (with the exception of the honoroble state of syria).

Saddam was begging Iran for a ceasefire in 1982 when the iraqi army had been expelled fully, offered to pay billions in reparations ... Iran was preparing an invasion to topple the regime and capture karbala and the shia parts.

by that time Iraq had lost the faw and became landlocked. And syria had shut off their pipeline. essentially making Iraq a landlocked state that lost its only and major source of revenue (oil)

it took saddam massive unrestricted chemical warfare, western satellite, rebuilding his airforce 3 times, arab troops, and tens of billions of dollars in arab money to barely stop Iran.

who was at its weakest point post revolution. A military without any supplies, cut off, the entire officer staff decapited, and about 2/3 had deserted or been purged.... and Iran had no functioning government.

Yes thanks to America, saddam survived to live another day. He forgot who his daddy was, misbehaved, and was put in his place.

Thanks for Khalijis cucks regimes betraying Saddam after he started and lost a stupid war on their behalf .....
Imagine if that idiot allied with Iran and resisted the US and the zionist regime together.
He thought he could score a quick victory on behalf of his masters. Oh how wrong he was.

Thanks for Khalijis cucks regimes betraying Saddam after he started and lost a stupid war on their behalf .....

Imagine if that idiot allied with Iran and resisted the US and the zionist regime together.
He thought he could score a quick victory on behalf of his masters. Oh how wrong he was.

A late uncle of mine worked in Iraq for some years sometime in the Saddam years - I forgot which exact period - but he said Iraq was good place. I believe Iraq and Iran should have worked together and learned from each other. Add Syria too.

A late uncle of mine worked in Iraq for some years sometime in the Saddam years - I forgot which exact period - but he said Iraq was good place. I believe Iraq and Iran should have worked together and learned from each other. Add Syria too.
Until 1990, Irak was the most advanced and modern Arab country, where you find the best universities, book publishing, arts, sciences, job opportunities....

The books of History, Geography, Arab language for all the Tunisian schools where a gift of Irak.
FB_IMG_1648712330866.jpg

Back
Top Bottom