What's new

The Indian Navy's helicopter plans and purchases

I'm sure you can Although USA itself can't operate the notorious widow maker... Which cost triple than a black hawk.. And the price tag is for US forces ... About 157 million (from their defence budget) ... Compare tht to the price they will sell it for... Which as of right now they haven't...
The V-22 isn't as unsafe as you're trying to make out and anyway they've signed up for hundreds of the birds. If India can afford the C-17 it can obviously afford the V-22.

The V-22 isn't as unsafe as you're trying to make out and anyway they've signed up for hundreds of the birds. If India can afford the C-17 it can obviously afford the V-22.

Are you dumb enough to compare a heli to a cargo cum troop transport plane?

Also the US army cut down its orders ..

You are simply wasting your time talking to a guy who is comprehension-challenged. He cannot even make out the difference between a V/STOL aircraft and and a Helo among other things. Makes one wonder if he is here on PDF only to keep boredom at bay....

You are simply wasting your time talking to a guy who is comprehension-challenged. He cannot even make out the difference between a V/STOL aircraft and and a Helo among other things. Makes one wonder if he is here on PDF only to keep boredom at bay....

Pardon me but please enlighten us about its main role...!

Which I presume is troop transportation.. ?

Comparing it to a tactical airliner..... Hmm seems logical..

Capt Popeye the sailor man!

Pardon me but please enlighten us about its main role...!

Which I presume is troop transportation.. ?

Comparing it to a tactical airliner..... Hmm seems logical..

Capt Popeye the sailor man!

There was a proposal of a v-22 based AWAC for IN.

Nope, no possibility of that. But why are you considering that at all?

I figured that their range would be much longer compared to Heli-borne platforms. I felt that they'd be ideal on INS Viki in that role. I guess it's asking for too much from the JJs. No place to fit a large radome nor any space to locate any on-board signal crews.

But what about a dedicated ECM platform?It can free up the Mig 29s in this role.

Also, if the Viraat is here to stay till 2020, would it not be better to procure a few more Harriers? Wasn't there an offer by the Brits to sell their decommisioned Jump-jets to India?

I figured that their range would be much longer compared to Heli-borne platforms. I felt that they'd be ideal on INS Viki in that role. I guess it's asking for too much from the JJs. No place to fit a large radome nor any space to locate any on-board signal crews.

But what about a dedicated ECM platform?It can free up the Mig 29s in this role.

Also, if the Viraat is here to stay till 2020, would it not be better to procure a few more Harriers? Wasn't there an offer by the Brits to sell their decommisioned Jump-jets to India?

As far as I know; there was no serious offer by UK to sell and by India to buy the SHARS.
In any case the USMC picked up all the RAF Harriers; because they fitted their requirements.

Undoubtedly, the Harriers were a revolutionary design in their time but the IN does not a have an extended role for them, in the way that the Americans have. Neither does India have a force like the Marines (yet) to conjure up a role for these aircraft, to acquire new Harriers.

Incidentally, even the IN's SHARS got acquired mainly because "CAT" equipped Carriers were not available to India at the time. So a new role was created for them, mainly Fleet Defence with a secondary attack capability. Which fitted IN's doctrines at the time. Now all that has changed, the requirements have changed, the assets available are different. The SHARS will fly till they gracefully go into history. If India creates a USMC type of Force then the IN may again look at the Boeing/McDonnell AV-8s afresh for that Force.

As far as I know; there was no serious offer by UK to sell and by India to buy the SHARS.
In any case the USMC picked up all the RAF Harriers; because they fitted their requirements.

Undoubtedly, the Harriers were a revolutionary design in their time but the IN does not a have an extended role for them, in the way that the Americans have. Neither does India have a force like the Marines (yet) to conjure up a role for these aircraft, to acquire new Harriers.

Incidentally, even the IN's SHARS got acquired mainly because "CAT" equipped Carriers were not available to India at the time. So a new role was created for them, mainly Fleet Defence with a secondary attack capability. Which fitted IN's doctrines at the time. Now all that has changed, the requirements have changed, the assets available are different. The SHARS will fly till they gracefully go into history. If India creates a USMC type of Force then the IN may again look at the Boeing/McDonnell AV-8s afresh for that Force.
There was simply no need for India to pick up the RAF's and RN's Harriers (they were GR.7s and not SHARs incidentally- the RN retired their SHARs some time ago and instead shared a joint fleet/force of GRs with the RAF until the retirement in 2010). Given the Viraat will be gone by 2020 and so there is simply little use for the IN's Harrier fleet beyond the next 5-7 years.

The USMC's picked up the GR.7s as these birds share a lot in common with their AV-8B.

The IN IS raising a USMC/Marine type force but given all that needs to be done and the timelines involved there's little chance the Harrier will come back into IN service. The platform is aged enough as it is. The USMC themselves will begin replacing their AV-8Bs with F-35Bs by the end of this decade.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom