What's new

The Great Maratha Empire

The repeated raids played on the creative impulse of the people.

chhele ghumalo, pada judalo bargi elo deshe
bulbulite dhan kheyechhe, khajna debo kise?

ছেলে ঘুমালো পাড়া জুড়ালো বর্গী এল দেশে
বুলবুলিতে ধান খেয়েছে খাজনা দেব কিসে
ধান ফুরোলো পান ফুরোলো খাজনার উপায় কি?
আর কটা দিন সবুর কর রসুন বুনেছি।

When the children fall asleep, silence sets in, the Bargis come to our lands
Bulbulis (birds) have eaten the grains, how shall I pay the rent?
I wonder how old this rhyme would be. Perhaps traced back to the end of eighteenth century.

I wonder how old this rhyme would be. Perhaps traced back to the end of eighteenth century.
Marathas were pure plunderers and looters. I wonder what they have done to the other parts of the country. They used to slaughter en masse and burnt down every thing.

Marathas were pure plunderers and looters. I wonder what they have done to the other parts of the country. They used to slaughter en masse and burnt down every thing.

During the reign of Balaji Baji Rao, the Maratha treasury became empty and they adopted desperate measures. Karnataka, Orissa,Bengal, Malwa, no place escaped their wrath.

During the reign of Balaji Baji Rao, the Maratha treasury became empty and they adopted desperate measures. Karnataka, Orissa,Bengal, Malwa, no place escaped their wrath.
Even at that time, Maratha budget was more than the state budget of UK.

Many British told me how Brits united fragmented India pretending as savoir of Hindus from the Mughal Empire. So, they all faked up the history to glorify the British rule in India. :omghaha: In reality, they first fragmented India by weakening the Maratha Empire and conquer all of it easily.

LOL you realize Maratha let British hang around and made countless treaties with them right? Acting like Marathas are some kind of noble empire when they led to the downfall of the whole subcontinent. They had the power to oust Brits and Portuguese but each time instead let them stick around and even helped them on occasion like against Tipu in his final battle. Ironically the same general they helped defeat Tipu would later crush the Marathas, Field Marshall Duke of Wellington.

LOL you realize Maratha let British hang around and made countless treaties with them right? Acting like Marathas are some kind of noble empire when they led to the downfall of the whole subcontinent. They had the power to oust Brits and Portuguese but each time instead let them stick around and even helped them on occasion like against Tipu in his final battle. Ironically the same general they helped defeat Tipu would later crush the Marathas, Field Marshall Duke of Wellington.

So, what's your thoughts about Tipu Sultan, as he is hated by many South Indian for his bigotry and brutality against Hindus and Christians.

Last edited:
So, what's your thoughts about Tipu Sultan, as he is hated by many in South Indian for his bigotry and brutality against Hindus and Christians.

He should not have beat up on Hindus and Christians but was a brave man who died nobly defending his homeland from ferangis.

One thing which puzzles me is that there are hardly any monuments, buildings, palaces left behind which speak of the glory of the Maratha empire. I have lived in Pune, the seat of the Maratha empire and have hardly come across anything impressive apart from forts dotted around Pune which were mostly built in pre-Maratha empire times.
There is very little material regarding the architecture of the earlier period covering the reigns of Shivaji, Sambhaji, Rajaram and Shahu. The earlier Maratha rulers had neither the time nor the resources to indulge in such activities due to their protracted wars with the Mughals. Marathas made good use of structures already existing in their time. However, we can get some idea about the characteristic of the Maratha style from later buildings such as forts, palaces and temples. Brick, wood, mortar and stone were the materials used for construction. Besides other apartments, the palaces contained darbar halls and ranga and chitra mandirs.

Some structures built by Marathas include but are not limited to-
Visapur Fort
Sitabuldi Fort
Sindhudurg Fort
Shaniwar Wada
Sangram Durg
Rajwada, Indore
Laxmi Vilas Palace, Vadodara
Lal Mahal, Pune

The Maratha architecture lacked the beauty and grace of the buildings of the Rajputs, and the Mughals. But the Marathas excelled in fort architecture. The wood work they used to decorate their palaces and other civil buildings was intricate and minute. Maratha art could have developed and attained a distinctive character but it was not possible because of the turbulent times.

Short notes on Architecture of Marathas

Mughals controlled a large network of forts all across India. I think the Marathas would not have found the need to construct many new ones after defeating the Mughals and capturing those forts.

They were expanding so quickly, in such a short period of time. Defeating so many of their opposites throughout the subcontinent.

So ambitious and arrogant they got, that they, a Deccani based empire wanted to extand their rule to Kandhar.

Raghoba's letter to Peshwa Balaji Bajirao, 4 May 1758

Lahore, Multan, Kashmir and other subhas on this side of Attock are under our rule for the most part, and places which have not come under our rule we shall soon bring under us. Ahmad Shah Durrani's son Timur Shah Durrani and Jahan Khan have been pursued by our troops, and their troops completely looted. Both of them have now reached Peshawar with a few broken troops. So Ahmad Shah Durrani has returned to Kandahar with some 12–14 thousand broken troops. Thus all have risen against Ahmad who has lost control over the region. We have decided to extend our rule up to Kandahar.

So ambitions of arrogant they got, that they, a Deccani based empire wanted to extand their rule to Kandhar.
They conquered Peshawar in 1758 and massacred thousands of Afghans. By 1772, they again gained control of Punjab and remained so before the Sikhs rose. Afghans did not challenge them at that time. The English called them " the warrior race". But, They behaved very badly with the Pathans of Western UP.

They were expanding so quickly, in such a short period of time. Defeating so many of their opposites throughout the subcontinent.

So ambitious and arrogant they got, that they, a Deccani based empire wanted to extand their rule to Kandhar.

Raghoba's letter to Peshwa Balaji Bajirao, 4 May 1758
First - ambition is a primary requisite to building an empire.
Second, arrogance is subjective.
Third - I smell contempt. Any particular reason? Or just another 'Foreigner Lover's Syndrome'? Just asking :coffee:

Third - I smell contempt. Any particular reason? Or just another 'Foreigner Lover's Syndrome'? Just asking :coffee:

I said what it was. Ambitious and arrogant, problem? Mongols, Arabs, etc. were ambitious and arrogant too, worked in their favor.

Third - I smell contempt. Any particular reason? Or just another 'Foreigner Lover's Syndrome'? Just asking
Do you know the origin of the name of "Shiv Sena"?:-)

Back
Top Bottom