What's new

The Great Divide of China: ‘Princelings’ in China

Jackdaws

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
The Hollywood studio DreamWorks Animation recently announced a bold move to crack China’s tightly protected film industry: a $330 million deal to create a Shanghai animation studio that might one day rival the California shops that turn out hits like “Kung Fu Panda” and “The Incredibles.”

What DreamWorks did not showcase, however, was one of its newest — and most important — Chinese partners: Jiang Mianheng, the 61-year-old son of Jiang Zemin, the former Communist Party leader and the most powerful political kingmaker of China’s last two decades.

The younger Mr. Jiang’s coups have included ventures with Microsoft and Nokia and oversight of a clutch of state-backed investment vehicles that have major interests in telecommunications, semiconductors and construction projects.

That a dealmaker like Mr. Jiang would be included in an undertaking like that of DreamWorks is almost a given in today’s China. Analysts say this is how the Communist Party shares the spoils, allowing the relatives of senior leaders to cash in on one of the biggest economic booms in history.

Full Text: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/18/w...using-family-ties-to-gain-riches.html?_r=1&hp

The saddest thing for me though is the failure of the Chinese people to rise up against such wanton abuse of power. They are just happy to be subservient.

I wonder how long will it take to make transfer of power stay in family like in N. Korea. And if that is at all possible.

I wonder how long will it take to make transfer of power stay in family like in N. Korea. And if that is at all possible.

We are far behind India in this aspect. 3 of their prime ministers are family members, and now 2 of their top politicians are from the same family. Compare that with 0 for China.

Any problem you find with China, India has 10 times worse.

Well, China is similar to North Korea in that respect except it is not an overt dictatorship. The Chinese power brokers are called "Red Nobility". But the Chinese stay quiet and leave them be - it is like a cultural trait they have - the inability to question their masters.

We are far behind India in this aspect. 3 of their prime ministers are family members, and now 2 of their top politicians are from the same family. Compare that with 0 for China.

Any problem you find with China, India has 10 times worse.

But the article and the thread doesnt talk about India. Why you trying to deflect? Just answer the question if you can....

Please stick to the topic - we are discussing Chinese princelings and the inability of the local population to do anything about it - if you wish to discuss the Nehru-Gandhi family, please open a new thread. Don't derail this one by deflecting.

But the article and the thread doesnt talk about India. Why you trying to deflect? Just answer the question if you can....

This is a relative problem. All major (and many minor) countries have degrees of family influence in politics. It is therefore a question of degree. I believe China is doing average or better in the matter of keeping family ties out of politics.

Well, China is similar to North Korea in that respect except it is not an overt dictatorship. The Chinese power brokers are called "Red Nobility". But the Chinese stay quiet and leave them be - it is like a cultural trait they have - the inability to question their masters.

Might be because of Eastern philosophy of putting society infront of an individual.

This is a relative problem. All major (and many minor) countries have degrees of family influence in politics. It is therefore a question of degree. I believe China is doing average or better in the matter of keeping family ties out of politics.

The point is not family influence in politics. The point is abuse of power to swell the wallets of the politicians. It happens everywhere - in USA you have Cheney-Halliburton; in India you have a lot of this too but there are certain checks and balances - a # of Indian politicians are cooling their heels in jails. And in India there is a major sense of outrage.

All good and agreeable.

The article describes mafia style of doing business though. ie if mr. Jiang isn't properly reimbursed=no business. Sounds worrisome a bit.

The point is not family influence in politics. The point is abuse of power to swell the wallets of the politicians. It happens everywhere - in USA you have Cheney-Halliburton; in India you have a lot of this too but there are certain checks and balances - a # of Indian politicians are cooling their heels in jails. And in India there is a major sense of outrage.

I agree, and people are outraged, but not at this particular project.

A country ruled by one family, all with the same surnames?

I only know of two countries like that, India (Nehru-Gandhi family) and North Korea (Kim family). :lol:

only two???? ....so u never heard about the Bhutto's in Pakistan ?

only two???? ....so u never heard about the Bhutto's in Pakistan ?

They are not the "power centre" of the country like Sonia Gandhi is.

Forbes World's Most Powerful People: For India it is Sonia Gandhi followed closely by Rahul Gandhi.

For Pakistan it Parvez Kayani.

Back
Top Bottom